What's new

I find strange things and post them here - feel free to join in

buzzmobile

Veteran
Stay classy jimmy

Probably another buddy trip with his friend who liked to watch.
adam-corolla-jimmy-kimmell.jpg

SolarLogos

Lauri Törni: The Only SS Member to Be Buried At Arlington National Cemetery​

Lauri Allan Törni (28 May 1919 – 18 October 1965), later known as Larry Alan Thorne, was a Finnish-born soldier who fought under three flags: as a Finnish Army officer in the Winter War and the Continuation War ultimately gaining a rank of captain; as a Waffen-SS captain (under the alias Larry Laine) of the Finnish Volunteer Battalion of the Waffen-SS when he fought the Red Army on the Eastern Front in World War II;[3] and as a United States Army Major (under the alias "Larry Thorne") when he served in the U.S. Army Special Forces in the Vietnam War.

Törni died in a helicopter crash during the Vietnam War and he was promoted to the rank of major posthumously. His remains were located three decades later and then buried in Arlington National Cemetery; he is the only former member of the Waffen-SS known to be interred there. (Wikipedia)

armedoldhippy

Veteran
i confess, i HAVE been to Germantown before. and a hell of a lot of other small TN towns too. some not much more than a mere crossroads, like Loafers Glory, Surgoinsville, Ducktown, Bulls Gap...if you've never been up to Beauty Spot above Erwin (where they hung Murderous Mary, the circus elephant) to watch sunset, you're missing out. wonderful place to sit and smoke and ponder the greatness of the mountains

CharlesU Farley

i confess, i HAVE been to Germantown before. and a hell of a lot of other small TN towns too. some not much more than a mere crossroads, like Loafers Glory, Surgoinsville, Ducktown, Bulls Gap...if you've never been up to Beauty Spot above Erwin (where they hung Murderous Mary, the circus elephant) to watch sunset, you're missing out. wonderful place to sit and smoke and ponder the greatness of the mountains
Came off the Appalachian Trail in Erwin, August of 1974, after hiking for 2 weeks, did some meshmacon :p (michoacan) on the Spot. Took a bath at the only hotel there, watched TV as Richard Nixon resigned his presidency, had dinner "downtown" , saw the movie The Conversation and was back on the trail the next day.

Btw, you can have some of the best barbecue you'll ever put in your mouth in nearby in Elizabethton Tennessee, at Ridgewood BBQ.