What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

How to grow a cola. by Henry Gibson

señorsloth

Veteran
or take a look at the 12/12 from seed thread, just about any strain grown 12/12 from seed or clone will grow into one, long cola...even the branchiest pheno's wont put out much branching if they are flowered right away...they tend to only make real branches in veg...otherwise if they start branching in flower it usually only ends up being a few inches long, and sort of blends into the bottom of the cola, so in my eyes those aren't even branches really but part of the main cola.

hey i got to say that my way is the one way that has NEVER failed, but that stipping each and every lateral branch too develops nice colas on them.

this is regardless of all the different nutes i've tried, vertical lites or horizontal, type of dirt etc. Fool proof. not the only way tho no.

btw i didnt say anything about when to bloom. i have tried the one or two weeks of veg as well. i admit i SUCK at growing tho. what i am currently doing is just letting the plant grow, txplanting it into the 2 gal pot and topping it and getting 4-5 good laterals that make good primaries, and blooming them after about a week or two to recover, or just whenever some room in the bloom room opens up. my bloom room is always full, so giving plants extra veg time is pretty much something i dont have any choice with doing.

one thing i have to tell you and hope you are all listening. i got totally SCHOOLED as in basically Bitch Slapped, by a friend who just started. He took all my strain clones i could not do shit with, except my foolproof Papaya, and he has COLAS EVERYWHERE just like some of the pics you see from Desert Squirrel or Yosemite Sam. and although he is using different pots and virtually the same soil, AND he maxed every credit card to get sealed lites with air blowing thru them, the BIG DIF that he has, and i give it ALL THE CREDIT for all these max size jaw dropping colas, is that he is running CO2. I am totally convinced that is A REQUIREMENT OR DONT WASTE YOUR TIME LIKE ME. i feel totally chumped out like i have been doing nothing but licking my BALLS for the last 3 years. i will be getting a regulator and a timer for my tank as soon as i can get the money. i'm just amazed what his just having CO2 did to all those "bunk" strains i gave him to get rid of. Unfortunately tho, he isn't getting near the trich production my papaya is giving him, it is still the best strain out of the 4 i have given him. Just wow, is all i can say, they all look like they have been growing outside in the sun, except denser of course. SHIT! and since all his lites are sealed, the room can have minimal ventilation, so he gets MAXIMUM benefit from the CO2. man, it's the only way to go.

but in the meantime if you are like me and generally clueless, i still think spending the extra time in veg and stipping them has produced sellable colas and left the fairy buds to a minimum, as long as you strip the innerds of the lateral branches as well. i can see on plants that i did not strip the lateral branches, that it made the colas at the top, even, smaller than they were on the plants i did strip. so yeah there's other ways but this way even a BOOB can grow a cola easy. obviously if you are just growing smoke for yourself and dont have to have big buds to sell, you dont need to strip anything either. but i can NOT sell anything but sizable buds.

i also want to say that the sog was okay for me at best. i tried for years to duplicate four giant colas i got from plants that had only 1 or 2 weeks of veg, and never could, i dont know why. and i ended up with like 150 plants tho, just way too much, it's a felony here to have over 100, so i have been making every effort to get and stay under 100 by going to a 2 gallon pot and trying to grow bigger plants. and when trimming time came that HAD to mean cloning time, and shit i was ending up with like a hundred clones on top of the rooted ones, i just couldnt throw any of them out. eventually i would like to be legal at 15, but everybody seems to be in like a 15-25 gallon giant sized pot that i cant even fit in my room, so that's just a pipe dream.