What's new

How to get rid of ants?

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
Thanks guys. I hit 'em with a 100% neem, rosemary oil, and cinnamon oil blend that will hopefully put a dent in it.

Coconutz

Veteran
Thats why I said you might as well treat for RAs and not ants.
Anyhow, it might be a good idea to take cuts and throw anything with roots into a pile and burn it

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
Thats why I said you might as well treat for RAs and not ants.
Anyhow, it might be a good idea to take cuts and throw anything with roots into a pile and burn it

I'm in it to fight the good fight. There is a member on here that apparently has had a lot of success with Root Aphids by using Neem. ozzieAI has documented some of his work with using Neem to battle root aphids and also as a soil conditioner. I'm going to fight the fight using his threads as a general guide. Check 'em out here,

Neem as a Soil Conditioner

Neem v Root Aphids

Thanks for dropping in too coconutz. I get mesmerized by your .gif in your signature everytime I see you post though.

Last edited:

Coconutz

Veteran
The neem wont kill the fuckers that are hiding in the room and nearby the grow.
Once there are flyers its a disaster!
RAs can give birth to new bitches that will be born pregnant!

T

TREE KING

i just had this problem and i killed the whole colony with these
http://www.drugstore.com/products/p...d=184447&aid=338666&aparam=347719&kpid=347719
got em at home depot

the trick is to kill the queen. i saw weird flying insects too that must be what you guys are talking about. i also put up the yellow sticky traps to kill 2 or 3 of those. they we're big as shit. these ones i found work better than the rest
http://www.amazon.com/Yellow-Sticky...401175187&sr=1-1&keywords=yellow+sticky+traps
some of the other sticky traps barely even fuckin work at all there useless

my problem wasn't grow related though. i had em in my closet where there we're no plants

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
The little shits are still running around while paying no attention to the Terro traps. The organic pesticide cocktail I hit them with hasn't seemed to do anything to deter them. The flying critters are still around. I was going to up the levels for the next time that I hit 'em. Here are some pictures of an ant running around with one of the flying bugs. It still looks like a fungus gnat to me, what do you guys think?

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

ozzieAI

Veteran
when i was growing outdoors every year after the wet season each of my pots would mostly have ant colonies in them...so a week before i wanted to plant them out i would give a heavy watering with water and pure emulsified neem oil that would evict the ants in quick order...

as a suggestion rather than making a 'cocktail' use one organic pesticide at a time to see whats works and what doesn't .. although mixing neem oil with pyrithem amplifies the effects of the pyrithem...

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
when i was growing outdoors every year after the wet season each of my pots would mostly have ant colonies in them...so a week before i wanted to plant them out i would give a heavy watering with water and pure emulsified neem oil that would evict the ants in quick order...

as a suggestion rather than making a 'cocktail' use one organic pesticide at a time to see whats works and what doesn't .. although mixing neem oil with pyrithem amplifies the effects of the pyrithem...

Hey ozzie thanks for checking in again. Do you have any opinion on what those flying critters are? FG or RA? Also, what are your application rates that you use for pyrethrum by itself and also in conjunction with your neem oil applications since you said it boosts the pyrethrum's strength? Do you use the pyrethrum as a soil soak as well?

Thanks!

Last edited:

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I tried them traps too and the ants walk right around em... I tried cinnamon and chili powder and every thing else I could think of...ortho home defense was my last resort and has worked...

ozzieAI

Veteran
Hey ozzie thanks for checking in again. Do you have any opinion on what those flying critters are? FG or RA? Also, what are your application rates that you use for pyrethrum by itself and also in conjunction with your neem oil applications since you said it boosts the pyrethrum's strength? Do you use the pyrethrum as a soil soak as well?

sorry but can't tell which they are RA or FG...
rarely needed to add pyrethrum to my soil drenches but it was from memory about 25% of full strength...i would recommend that you do a test first though as yours may be a strong concentration than what i use...

never used pyrethrum by itself...always added to neem if i needed the instant knock down that it provides...

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
sorry but can't tell which they are RA or FG...
rarely needed to add pyrethrum to my soil drenches but it was from memory about 25% of full strength...i would recommend that you do a test first though as yours may be a strong concentration than what i use...

never used pyrethrum by itself...always added to neem if i needed the instant knock down that it provides...

Thanks for the input again ozzie! :yes:

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
The ants are still around but they don't seem to be running around in my plants anymore. I guess they got the message. The Terro ant traps were never even noticed by the ants and I plan on throwing them out just as soon as I remember to. The ants still cruise around but I'm not really sure from where to where. It seems that they are living underneath the vapor barrier. I ended up getting some pyrethrum and used that in conjunction with the pure neem oil tonight. I figured I would start off low with a .25% solution and 30mL of emulsified neem oil per gallon. At this point it's more about keeping the ants at bay and doing their own thing but really getting rid of the fungus gnats as I'm tired of their sorry asses floating around.