What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

How many gallons are in a bale of Pro-Mix?

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
sunnydog

It gets a little confusing because a #2 lipped nursery pot is 1.7 gallons. But if it's a 'squat' version, then it's 2.27 gallons. Both are called #2 pots.

[cite]

As you can see from the table at the link, figuring out how much soil can be a bit tricky if one doesn't understand the rather bizarre system used to identify commercial nursery stock pots.

CC

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
Thanks....:thank you: but I need to know how many gallons -cu.ft. AFTER is is uncompressed.
Trying to help a friend know how much EWC he needs to buy per bale.:)

SD

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
sunnydog

That IS the amount of blank potting soil available when its uncompressed. The primary customer for ProMix, Sunshine Mix, etc. are professional nurseries. The amount noted on the package is the amount of product in a particular pack size.

Bottom line it's not the usual 'grow store' drivel/spittle about a specific product.

HTH

CC

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
sunnydog

That IS the amount of blank potting soil available when its uncompressed. The primary customer for ProMix, Sunshine Mix, etc. are professional nurseries. The amount noted on the package is the amount of product in a particular pack size.

Bottom line it's not the usual 'grow store' drivel/spittle about a specific product.

HTH

CC

Oh....Thanks!:tiphat:

SD

.clunk

You're right, they are compressed and nearly double their size once you cut them open and start shoveling it out. If you don't believe it then you can get a bale and test it by filling a couple of rubbermaid storage bins and figuring it out that way.
Each 3.8 cubic foot bale expands to roughly 7.5 cubic feet once it's out of the bag.

bakelite

You're right, they are compressed and nearly double their size once you cut them open and start shoveling it out. If you don't believe it then you can get a bale and test it by filling a couple of rubbermaid storage bins and figuring it out that way.
Each 3.8 cubic foot bale expands to roughly 7.5 cubic feet once it's out of the bag.

I believe this is correct. Premier Horticulture (the makers of Pro Mix) state that the 3.8 CF bail expands to 7 CF or roughly 2x when uncompressed. While I have not validated this myself A quick google search yields the same answer on various gardening forums etc.
-bakelite

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
No wonder ProMix can't penetrate the professional horticulture industry on the West Coast with propaganda/stupidity like that.

So what happens when you water their 'expanded' potting soil anyway? Is it like a sponge and swell up 2x times again? So their 3.8 c.f. bale expands to 15.2 by the time it's over?

Laughable and pitiful to boot.

CC

love?

Well if you add 1 liter of water I'd imagine the volume grows by 1 liter... ;)

What I mean is it's not exactly the same thing since you're adding "stuff".

But yeah volume is a funny way to measure something like soil mixes that can be at various "stages" of compression. Mass on the other hand might not be very convenient if you need to compare between different mixes so I guess that's why volume is used?

Agent 47

No wonder ProMix can't penetrate the professional horticulture industry on the West Coast with propaganda/stupidity like that.

So what happens when you water their 'expanded' potting soil anyway? Is it like a sponge and swell up 2x times again? So their 3.8 c.f. bale expands to 15.2 by the time it's over?

Laughable and pitiful to boot.

CC

I agree. I bought some of the ProMix this year, (3) 3.8 cubic feet bails. It's exactly as you described, semi compressed. Not by any means would I go on to say that when you take it out it expands. To my knowledge 3.8 cubic feet compressed or not is still 3.8 cubic feet.

Also, are you planning on using only plain ProMix? Your going to need some additives in there, it will also help you stretch your ProMix. 6-2-2, Pro Moss, Perlite, EWC? Blood Bone Kelp.

I learned that if you use one gallon containers, after you do the first 6-2-2, cut it down to 3-1-1 and you will have exactly 15 gallons, or ~ 2 cubic feet. It makes adding your dry fertilizers pretty simple.

Phillthy

Seven-Thirty
ICMag Donor
Veteran
no way. 1/2 bail of promix and 1 bag of ocean forest makes 30 gallons of soil. the most you will get out of one bale is 50 some gallons without mixing.

burns1n209

It says on the side of the bundle, I think sunshine #4 compressed came to 45 gals of material. I'd imagine promox is the same

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you make LC's Mix with a bale of Pro Mix it will fill a 55 gallon barrel completely.
Burn1

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A standard bale is 3.8 cu ft COMPRESSED and is roughly 40 gallons of medium...

dank.Frank

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
A bale of compressed Pro-Mix is 3.8 cft expands to 7 cft (or less)...and weighs about 70 pounds. Assuming there are 6.4 gallons per cft, then 7 times 6.4 equals 48 gallons. I concur with the above--55 gallon trash can will hold 1 decompressed bale with very little head room.

BTW, ProMix BX is 82.5% sphagnum peat, 12.5% perlite & 5% vermiculite, and both calcitic & dolomitic lime are added for a starting medium ph of 6.2--which is a tad low for my garden needs.

Technical detail is in the below pdf file.

Cheers!

Attachments

• Tech Data PRO-MIX_BX_Mycorrhizae_13478.pdf
    144.3 KB · Views: 208

Latest posts

Latest posts