What's new

How does a person start a seed company in California?

grayeyes

"Generally speaking, cannabis seeds can be lawfully purchased by adults states with legal adult recreational use (like California) either at a dispensary or online intrastate (meaning not purchased from another state – even one that has also legalized the drug)."

From Cannabis Law Group. https://www.marijuanalawyerblog.com/...in-california/

How's that for a non-bullshit response, Chunkypigs?

Hempy McNoodle

I think I am liking the model used by some US based seed banks, in which, seeds are sold as souveniers and as 'cash -in the mail' only transictions. Easy peasy, but less than legal, perhaps.

grayeyes

I think the quote of Willie Nelson is "if you wanna dance ya gotta pay the band". In this case the government for being a commercial grower. Selling seeds is no where near commercial growing cannabis for profit.

Hempy McNoodle

I think the quote of Willie Nelson is "if you wanna dance ya gotta pay the band". In this case the government for being a commercial grower. Selling seeds is no where near commercial growing cannabis for profit.

I totally agree. You only really need two small plants. It is ridiculous how over-regulated it all is. It certainly doesn't need to be that way. Technically, I believe the government (in my case, the State of California and local municipalities) is involved in racketeering.

grayeyes

This is what is wrong with the present system of government. Unless you or you and your attorney drag them into court and convince a guy in the black dress that what government is doing is illegal then gov gets away with it.

Kinda like the new ban on chainsaws. Just wait until Newsome''s house is burning.

mjseeds

Greetings All,

I have been wanting to start a small or microscale seed company in California, but have found it very difficult to find info pertaining to this topic. Can anyone help me to navigate the laws liscenses, regulations, etc and discuss some of the main challenges if any? Is it easy to do? Or, is it nearly impossible? Any experiences, thoughts, or insights are greatly appreciated. Thanks!:tiphat:

Different countries have different laws regarding the cultivation of cannabis and its sale. Therefore, it is important to make sure you check the different rules for your country (and potentially even your region) before attempting to start a seed company. For example, in certain countries or areas, running a seed bank may be completely legitimate and not illegal, whereas other areas may have a different stance. There are even differences between states often, so do your research first.