What's new

How do I wire this 150w HPS?

GrayZone

I haven't done this for a loooong time, so I forgot a thing or two.

There is the ground connector on the ballast and the socket(see the attachment). I don't think that 15ish years back I had ground on those old-school ballasts, so I'm not sure what to do with this.

Should I connect the ballast ground connector with the socket one? Or just leave it without ground? Someone told me "you have ground in your house you don't need to ground it". Is that correct?

Also, please see the wire I'm holding next to the socket connector. As far as I can remember and figure out, it should be fine(as in not too weak), correct?

IMG_20231012_142926.jpg IMG_20231012_143252.jpg

mme_oscar

Hoy!
You must ground your ballast and reflector. On these ballast there is usually a small flatened screw on the side.
I can't tell for the wire. It looks ok, but what is the section?

GrayZone

Hoy!
You must ground your ballast and reflector. On these ballast there is usually a small flatened screw on the side.
I can't tell for the wire. It looks ok, but what is the section?

Hey, thanks for the reply!

Ya, there is one. If you look at the photo I attached, you can see the sign for ground on the side of the scheme and an arrow pointing to it. So this is simply about connecting that and the reflector, right?

Well, at the local store, they said the wire is "1.5m2"(whatever that means), and I took it based on what I remember I had on my ballasts way back. I think it should work, it's the same thickness as the wires on the socket(see the photo).

acespicoli

I haven't done this for a loooong time, so I forgot a thing or two.

There is the ground connector on the ballast and the socket(see the attachment). I don't think that 15ish years back I had ground on those old-school ballasts, so I'm not sure what to do with this.

Should I connect the ballast ground connector with the socket one? Or just leave it without ground? Someone told me "you have ground in your house you don't need to ground it". Is that correct?

Also, please see the wire I'm holding next to the socket connector. As far as I can remember and figure out, it should be fine(as in not too weak), correct?

View attachment 18902940 View attachment 18902941
This is high voltage so extreme caution,
You have the proper feed voltage and amperage :thinking:

120 x2 = 240 so two hot wires ?
always ground, it needs to be able to trip the breaker in case of failure
1697123927483.png

is this your color schematics matching ?

You need two hot wires into ballast then two out to bulb
Hot wires are the feed line one and two, IF ALL IS WIRED CORRECTLY FROM WALL PANEL
so black and red in
the gfci ground fault circuit indicator or trippable breaker must be present and match use

usa and euro wiring differs im guessing
so maybe someone else will comment soon

Ca++

There is no use in connecting the earth of the lamp holder, to the earth of the ballast, and walking away. Both must connect to the building earth to form the circuit protective conductor. Without that connection to the buildings earth, all you actually do is increase your risk of electrocution. By making sure that if one goes live, they both do. You must wire to the plug ground/earth/cpc (depending where you live)

mme_oscar

There is no use in connecting the earth of the lamp holder, to the earth of the ballast, and walking away. Both must connect to the building earth to form the circuit protective conductor. Without that connection to the buildings earth, all you actually do is increase your risk of electrocution. By making sure that if one goes live, they both do. You must wire to the plug ground/earth/cpc (depending where you live)
The op stated his house is grounded. Any conductive material (in that case the reflector) should be grounded too.

Ca++

The op stated his house is grounded. Any conductive material (in that case the reflector) should be grounded too.
Yes, but a wire between reflector and ballast, doesn't find ground. It just ties the two items together. That earth terminal on the ballast, needs this wire to the shade, and also a second wire from the mains lead. This gives a connection from shade, to ballast, to the buildings electrical system. Without that connection, the light unit parts can become live, without the electrical system knowing there is a problem.
Hopefully, there as an earth leakage detecting breaker on the circuit, that would at least disconnect in the event of an actual shock of deadly importance. There is no guaranty of anything but a fuse though. A fuse only offers protection against death if that wire from light to the wall is present.

It's strange to be looking at a choke that has other bits hidden from view. I'm not thrilled by the lack of details in the pics. I'm left guessing the right hand pic is a lamp holder.

Last edited:

mme_oscar

Yes, but a wire between reflector and ballast, doesn't find ground. It just ties the two items together. That earth terminal on the ballast, needs this wire to the shade, and also a second wire from the mains lead. This gives a connection from shade, to ballast, to the buildings electrical system. Without that connection, the light unit parts can become live, without the electrical system knowing there is a problem.
Hopefully, there as an earth leakage detecting breaker on the circuit, that would at least disconnect in the event of an actual shock of deadly importance. There is no guaranty of anything but a fuse though. A fuse only offers protection against death if that wire from light to the wall is present.

It's strange to be looking at a choke that has other bits hidden from view. I'm not thrilled by the lack of details in the pics. I'm left guessing the right hand pic is a lamp holder.
So you advice someone not to ground his reflector because you don't see the whole picture? Checking any connection and wire is a must of course. But I stand by my point of view: reflector is more prone to current leak (high Rh, sharp edges, moved by grower...) Than a ballast. Any old magnetic ballast and reflector sold (at least in EU and by major wholesalers) are earthed.
I agree, choke aren't fun, therfore ballast and reflector should be grounded

Ca++

So you advice someone not to ground his reflector because you don't see the whole picture? Checking any connection and wire is a must of course. But I stand by my point of view: reflector is more prone to current leak (high Rh, sharp edges, moved by grower...) Than a ballast. Any old magnetic ballast and reflector sold (at least in EU and by major wholesalers) are earthed.
I agree, choke aren't fun, therfore ballast and reflector should be grounded
No, I didn't say not to ground the reflector. I said, connecting it to the ballast isn't grounding it. Not unless the ballast is ground. Which I can't see that it is. You are just hoping it is, but I see parts that don't have the proper wiring, and someone asking what the wiring should be. That is not reason to believe the wiring is there.

Getting this right, isn't just about connecting the reflector and ballast. It is also about connecting the ballast to the household electrical installation. That thing looks like it came out of a low bay. More like a gear tray, than a consumer item. If this was consumer kit, it wouldn't need a thread on wiring it. We wouldn't be looking at a connector block at all.

Latest posts

Latest posts