What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

How can I top plants to achieve better yields?

zoe420

It depends on the needs of the plant. Usually, when there are 4 to 6 pairs of true leaves, use a sterilized sharp tool to cut off the top of the main stem. This process allows the plant to grow more buds.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Topping will slow down the plant's growth because of the new hormonal routes that have to be made. I use the bending method using ties to do the same thing but without the slow down.

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Topping will slow down the plant's growth because of the new hormonal routes that have to be made. I use the bending method using ties to do the same thing but without the slow down.
I agree with Creeperpark in a way but i still top mine now and again if im not in a hurry needs must :good:

IC GLASS

I'm curious if the plant needs to be topped when growing, and if topping it will increase the yields?
Yes, topping your plant can be a great way to increase yields! By cutting off the top of the main stem, you're encouraging the plant to grow more branches, which in turn creates more bud sites. This method also helps the plant grow bushier and lets more light reach the lower parts. Just make sure to top it during the vegetative stage so it has time to recover and grow stronger before flowering. It’s a common trick growers use to maximize their harvest!