What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

How big of a plant can a 1 gallon pot handle?

G

I got 10 white widow plants vegging in 1 gallon pots. The tallest one is 11 inches while the others vary from 6-7 inches. Im thinking about flowering tomorrow cuz i only have like 4ft of vertical space. Will the 1 gallon pots they are in now be fine till harvest or should i repot into 2 gallon pots? Anyone have any experience growing white widow? How tall do they stretch? At 12 inches into veg will it be around 27 inches at harvest? thx

i belive its a gallon per sq. foot of green..? correct me if im wrong. might wanna move to a bigger pot size jus to be safe.

Skunkenstein

I hope those are cuttings you're growing..otherwise you could have some problems.I would go into 2gal minimum,3 would be better.

G

no they are from seeds. Why are they going to stretch alot? my tallest one is at 11 inches whiles the others are from 6-7 inches. Should i flower now? How would i go about transplanting from one gallons? What method works best. I dont have any experience repotting from 1 gallons. I was hoping one gallon would be big enough to flower in. Why do u hope im growing cuttings? thanks

G

The plants will double in size be lots heavier and wont finish well. You'll have many problems by mid flowering. The 6 to 7 inchers may make it. biggerpot=biggerpot. I have the most experience with this. It cost me lots to pin the problem down. Lots of time. 3 grows. I am now fluent in rootbound.

G

When I transplant my vegging plant from 2 gal to 3 gal before taking cuts and flowering,they are around 30 inches tall and not rootbound,the rootball has filled the container to be sure but they are still growing,a rootbound plant will stop growing and die.You'd be surprised how big a flowering plant you can grow in a 1 gallon pot,I'd flower at 10 -12 inches,white widow isnt a big stretcher I'm doing FS white widow right nowEDIT When you find yourself having to water every other day because the soil goes dry after saturation,you know its time for a transplant up a size

Last edited:
G

It all depends on what medium you are using. If you are in peat based or soil...then I recommend a transplant into something bigger. If you are in coco...then you're good to go. Just make sure you water/feed the coco at least once a day. More if possible.

Cheers,
SH

Yeah, I 've heard that a good rule of thumb is to say that 1/2 gallon will grow 1 ft of plant, therefore if you have a 2 gal pot, you should be able to get a 4 ft plant, good luck dude, and make sure you get all the responses you call !

G

Transplanting shouldn't and in reality doeant cause any stress or slow down in growth,on the contrary mine take off after a transplant.You should transplant when its needed,otherwise you shouldnt its as simple as that.You should know after awhile with the medium and pots you use when a plant needs to be transplanted,and if it's ready it has to be done.I only gain maybe 25% more soil volume when I transplant at the end of veg from a 2 gal(NSI classic 600" to a 3 gal (NSI classic 1200),when you put the 2 gal inside the 3 gal you'd think its hardly worth it,and it isnt if its not done correctly.All you should need to flower that plant is 25% more soil,transplanting into anything bigger like a 5 gal clasic 200 from NSI wont improve yield,I've already tried that

G

I have them in soil right now. I think im gonna go ahead and repot before flowering. This will be my next obstacle. How would i go about transplanting them. I chose to transplant them into 3 gallon pots. I'll be transplanting from 1 gallon to 3 gallon. What preperations should i make. Ive never done this before and would appreciate some guidance. thanks

G

let them dry out before you transplant. the soil stays together better.
prep your new mix. put two or three inches in the bottom of the 3 gal pot
sqeeze the outside of the 1 gallon pot to release the bond of the soil to the pot.
hold yuor hand over the top of the 1 g pot and gently shake out the plant.
gently rake your fingers around the rootball to scratch up the surface and roots a little bit
place plant into new pot leaving an inch or so of the pot rim above the top of the soil.
pour new soil down into the space around the rootball slowly, compacting the new soil as you fill. you don't want any air pockets around the rootball.
i water after i do this and top off with more soil if needed. it'' probasbly settle a bit. some growers wait a day before watering but i think thats just persoal preference.
good luck.

G

Fill the empty 3 gallon with soil to the correct level and with an empty 1 gallon pot,go clockwise and counterclockwise pushing lightly so there will be an indentation to support the new rootball,then just fill around the edges.

G

WhyMe said:
let them dry out before you transplant. the soil stays together better.
prep your new mix. put two or three inches in the bottom of the 3 gal pot
sqeeze the outside of the 1 gallon pot to release the bond of the soil to the pot.
hold yuor hand over the top of the 1 g pot and gently shake out the plant.
gently rake your fingers around the rootball to scratch up the surface and roots a little bit
place plant into new pot leaving an inch or so of the pot rim above the top of the soil.
pour new soil down into the space around the rootball slowly, compacting the new soil as you fill. you don't want any air pockets around the rootball.
i water after i do this and top off with more soil if needed. it'' probasbly settle a bit. some growers wait a day before watering but i think thats just persoal preference.
good luck.
I read somewhere that saturating the soil before repotting actually helps the soil stay together. I repotted my last grow dry and got dirt everywhere. I repotted my seedlings this grow by saturating and it came right out in one whole piece. Can anyone else give there opinions and their repotting techniques please? I dont want to repeat the big mess i got when i repotted last time and theres gotta be an easier way. I took some pics to show u where my plants are at right now. They are at 31 days from seedlings.

Notice the 11 incher in this pic. Hope its a female

I just watered 10 minutes before i took these pics. I was gonna repot but after hearing some conflicting reports im gonna wait and see what others here have to say about it. Thanks :wave:

LifeLess

Veteran
plants im flowering right now are in 1 gallon pots and doing great. plants in this 1st pic were flowered and finished in 32 oz cups. 2nd pics is my current grow plants are clones flowered at about 12-15 inchs in 1 gallon pots. Just have to water alot more. You have to find whats gonna work for you and your space. GL LL

G

Hey lifeless how tall are ur plants in the 2nd pic? Seems like they are growing just fine. How old are they in that pic? What strain? Also what is the easiest method for transplanting from 1 gallon into 3 gallon? My girlfriend just walked through the door with the 3 gallon pots from Osh. Guess i'll be transplanting soon.

I find that transplanting with dry AND wet soil can be a mess.

I like to transplant when the soil is moist, but not wet. Like, the day after you water, or maybe a few hours after watering.... stays nicely packed together and the mess is considerably lower.

And jesus, lifeless, what the hell is up with that middle plant in the fist picture? whoa that thing is WHITE.

G

Thx Formaldehyde. I think im gonna do that. I'll transplant tomorrow then wait till the others reach 12" then flower. Thanks a bunch guys

G

i should of been more specific i guess. a communication problem i'm thinkin. i didn't really mean to dry em out. i find that transplnts go easier if the transplant is done when you're ready to water. you transplant and then water. works in my grow.
good luck.