What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

High price seeds over $20 each good genetics wrapped in golden paper mean

Old Uncle Ben

You can get cheap regular seeds from Seedsman.
I have had good experiences with them. Fast shipping, good support and unbeatable prices during the 50% promotion.
I was wondering about that bank. Looked at them couple of days ago.

Am looking for Thais. Here's a really fascinating site that a member I trust says is the real deal. Is based out of Bangkok. Thailand is going illegal on cannabis soon FWIW. Hit the SHOP button. They dissect areas for sale like I dissect a fine home grilled prime NY strip.

kro-magnon

Veteran
When selling seeds through a seedbank they take 50% of price

If working with a distributor he takes 10-20% , then they sell to seedbank and they take the 50% mentioned above.

Also you can't sell cheaper to public than a seedbank does or they won't want to sell your range

When I worked with a distributor my seeds would sell at seedbank for £60 , I only recieved £20 from that and had to pay £5 tax , so I recieved £15 a pack from the £60

seedbanks help move the seeds with big customer base so that how It works , I just thought I'd break it down to show you the distribution cost etc

Not to mention cost of rent, electricity, supplies etc etc to produce the seeds from my £15
Thanks for giving some details on the seeds business. Isn't it still very profitable to get 15£ a pack? It's around 20€ for +/- 10 seeds so roughly 2€ a piece, it still leaves a comfortable profit once everything is deducted.​

Reactions: ojd

oldworld

Thanks for giving some details on the seeds business. Isn't it still very profitable to get 15£ a pack? It's around 20€ for +/- 10 seeds so roughly 2€ a piece, it still leaves a comfortable profit once everything is deducted.​
At 1.50 a seed you would need to sell 30,000 seeds to make a comfortable living. That is if no expenses were deducted. And if you are growing 100s or 1000s of each variety, of each generation... well you're not doing all that alone with your 1000 watt hps. You are gonna need a good bit of space and help to do it properly.

Those profit margins work if you're selling 1,000,000 seeds a year. Or if you just buy the new hype strain, reverse it and use it to pollinate your old standby mother.

Or like maybe if they did it like say... corn

Last edited:

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was wondering about that bank. Looked at them couple of days ago.

Am looking for Thais. Here's a really fascinating site that a member I trust says is the real deal. Is based out of Bangkok. Thailand is going illegal on cannabis soon FWIW. Hit the SHOP button. They dissect areas for sale like I dissect a fine home grilled prime NY strip.

I talk to some large growers there. Hoping to get some Thai genetics directly from the gorwers. They are not going back to being illegal from what they say. Some big bucks are being spent on Thailand growing operations. Greenhouse Seeds has a huge facility there.

graser

Hi,
I searched but was not able to find any regular seeds on their site...
Could you please provide a url?

When I realized that Nirvana was no longer producing regular seeds, I quickly secured some interesting varieties. As there are only a few of them left, I'll send you the link as a PM.

ojd

CONNOISSEUR GENETICS
Vendor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
and not to mention that they are very hard to find these days. It used to be the other way around but now -all the strains I want to grow and buy are always fem :( :(
I offer a huge Regular seed catalogue ( over 75 strains available) for those looking for Regular seeds.
I offer more Feminized varieties but il never stop making Regular seeds like alot of companies seem to do these days.
Regulars are becoming more popular last few years , not sure if it's the stability or that people can use the Males to make there own seeds now with legalisation happening in more states and countries. ( remember 33% discount for icmag.com members)

ojd

CONNOISSEUR GENETICS
Vendor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If your just buying seeds to run and not keeping clones seeds can be very expensive , but if keeping clones and/or making seeds cost is reasonable at $100 a pack.
I'd happily pay more for some rare packs if I can select a winning clone and run her for years and/or make seeds but if running from seed every run I can see it being very expensive.

Also you can get some quality company's offering cheap seeds but alot of the cheap company's just buy off the big seed producers and package as whatever.

Seed purchase is very important as you don't want to waste 4-5 months to get mediocre for $20-$50 less ( 5-10 a plant)

ojd

CONNOISSEUR GENETICS
Vendor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you got huge sales then yes it's quite profitable but if actually producing them all yourself( 90% of company's don't make all there own seeds or some any at all) then it's still alot of work

revegeta666

That's not the question. The question is, do intermediaries deserve to take 45£ a pack for the work another person did, while doing virtually nothing themselves?? European McDonald's style repackaging companies like dinafem & co pay 10-20 cents of a euro per seed and sell them over 10 euros a piece. There is the problem.

kro-magnon

Veteran
That's not the question. The question is, do intermediaries deserve to take 45£ a pack for the work another person did, while doing virtually nothing themselves?? European McDonald's style repackaging companies like dinafem & co pay 10-20 cents of a euro per seed and sell them over 10 euros a piece. There is the problem.
Of course it's important to know if it's profitable even when passing through middlemen to sell your seeds. The way the market is functioning it's impossible to sell without those seed banks they know they are important and take a big part of the money because of that.
There is only a small number of seed producers who sell directly to the customers because it is very hard to be visible to the customers. Those who can sell directly are those who have an established reputation of quality and their name is known all over the world.
In many business there is middlemen between producers and buyers, the good ones are promoting the breeders and help them to develop a customers base. Once you're established and are a big name in the game I'm sure you can negotiate to lower their %.
The brands who don't produce a single seed and just slap a name on a package are the real rats in this business, they are the one no one should buy from but they can afford publicity as they don't put money in seeds production so usually they sell huge quantity, that's a shame.

Brother Nature

One of the best plants I have ever grown came from a single seed found in a $20 bag of weed. Managed to get it to grow, the plant was a lanky sativa leaning hybrid, but grew solid fist-sized buds at each node that smelled and tasted like a blend of grapefruit and lavender. The high was soaring but social, the kind you could smoke all day and be nicely high but not useless. I'd happily pay $20 per seed of something like that, but I would have to know it was going to produce something like that consistently.

I have also spent a fair bit of money on high priced hyped seeds and out of all of those the only one I'd rate as worth it was Old Time Moonshine from DJ Short. This was quite some years ago too... Most of the best stuff I've grown came from gifted seeds or stuff bought from cheaper bulk seed banks that I didn't expect to be great. It really seems like a crap shoot to me, sometimes it's worth it and sometimes it's not, but I find that to be all part of the fun of it. It's like gambling, but if you do poorly at least you still have something to get high with.

Captain Red Eye

I don't get too hung up on what other people deserve or not, in the sense of how much they charge people for their services or products, unless there is a forcible monopoly being played out. Do I chuckle over the prices some people ask for their seeds? Yes. Do I forego buying some "must have" new shiny seeds based on price or bad luck with other seeds from same supplier? Sometimes.

I think the most important question is, "are agreements freely made, known up front and are they kept by all parties involved"?

I buy seeds and I make seeds and sometimes I regret paying so much for seeds that don't turn out as well as I had hoped. All that is my own choice, and on ME, as it should be. Freedom of choice is the most important aspect IMHO.

RobFromTX

Regulars are becoming more popular last few years , not sure if it's the stability or that people can use the Males to make there own seeds now with legalisation happening in more states and countries.

For me its definitely stability. You have a list available?

RobFromTX

Dinafem. I grew their strawberry amnesia. Terrible weed 🤮

Worst grow yet

ojd

CONNOISSEUR GENETICS
Vendor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
For me its definitely stability. You have a list available?
The list is posted on my page here at icmag.com or you can email me for current stocklist and ordering info.

Topconnoisseurg@outlook.com

RobFromTX

The list is posted on my page here at icmag.com or you can email me for current stocklist and ordering info.

Topconnoisseurg@outlook.com

Thanks man.i'll look it over.

Ttutorial

420club
winner@420giveaway
When I realized that Nirvana was no longer producing regular seeds, I quickly secured some interesting varieties. As there are only a few of them left, I'll send you the link as a PM.
Samenwahl still sells some reg packs from Nirvana.
Cannapot too.

Even the "Original Glue" But i do think its not the real gg#4 or ?