What's new

Help collecting and processing pollen

Tmik

I’ve tried making fem pollen twice. My STS worked both times and produced lots of “male” flower. The first time the pollen just stuck together like little bananas. The second time I got plenty of pollen but it was sterile.

so…new plant. I cut back on STS to just a few times of spraying. I now have a plant that has half male Pollen sacks and some ”fem” flower buds.

Hopefully I’ll get some seeds from this but I’d like to hear from more experienced growers in this: when you harvest pollen sacks, how you dry them, how you collect the pollen?

A pic of my STS sprayed plant and the ”stealth” clone box I built for my pollen/seed making away from my grow area.
thanks for feedback and suggestions…

Attachments

• IMG_5281.jpeg
    IMG_5281.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5280.jpeg
    IMG_5280.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 13

mudballs

Wait until they pop open like an umbrella, that just exposes the pollen containing nanners. Then pluck whole pod off with sterile tweezers and put in some small open container to dry for a few hours..leave unopened sacs on plant..you'll see the nanners in cup pop open by themselves or tap cup firmly and watch them pop from the tension of being dry and their bannana shape.
Then screen like dry sift to get rid of casings. Don't touch or handle pollen with your oily fingertips.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240630-142410_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240630-142410_Gallery.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 8

Tmik

Wait until they pop open like an umbrella, that just exposes the pollen containing nanners. Then pluck whole pod off with sterile tweezers and put in some small open container to dry for a few hours..leave unopened sacs on plant..you'll see the nanners in cup pop open by themselves or tap cup firmly and watch them pop from the tension of being dry and their bannana shape.
Then screen like dry sift to get rid of casings. Don't touch or handle pollen with your oily fingertips.
Really a great description and answered my question perfectly.
thanks @mudballs

IMG_5295.jpeg

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I did like Mudballs and picked the individual open male flowers off with tweezers. I let them sit on a piece of paper for a day so the pollen could 'dry' out. I then use a tea-ball to strain out the plant material from the pollen. I put the pollen in a small aluminum foil packet with strain name and date. I put that packet into a small ziplock bag that has a little Damprid (dessicant) in it, put the ziplock in a glass jar, vacuum pack the jar, and store in freezer until needed.

Using this method I've had pollen last 10+ years, but I did notice that the older the pollen got, the more male plants the seeds seemed to produce.

Doug Dawson

I’ve tried making fem pollen twice. My STS worked both times and produced lots of “male” flower. The first time the pollen just stuck together like little bananas. The second time I got plenty of pollen but it was sterile.

so…new plant. I cut back on STS to just a few times of spraying. I now have a plant that has half male Pollen sacks and some ”fem” flower buds.

Hopefully I’ll get some seeds from this but I’d like to hear from more experienced growers in this: when you harvest pollen sacks, how you dry them, how you collect the pollen?

A pic of my STS sprayed plant and the ”stealth” clone box I built for my pollen/seed making away from my grow area.
thanks for feedback and suggestions…
I have a simple method for collecting pollen. I take branches one by one and tap them over a large metal bowl daily while the males are producing. That collects all the pollen that's dropping and some plant material that is loose and easily falls off. I then put the material through a pollen shaker which removes all the plant matter. I find it dries much quicker when the plant material is gone. I put the clean pollen into an ammo box that has a gasket so it's air tight. I add an evadry portable Dehumidifier in with it which sucks up the moisture. I stir the pollen daily and once it's dry it can be stored in the fridge for short term and the freezer for long term storage. Collected 89.5 grams of BOG LSD pollen from my current run. There will be tons of LSD crosses popping up soon.

ojd

CONNOISSEUR GENETICS
Vendor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I did like Mudballs and picked the individual open male flowers off with tweezers. I let them sit on a piece of paper for a day so the pollen could 'dry' out. I then use a tea-ball to strain out the plant material from the pollen. I put the pollen in a small aluminum foil packet with strain name and date. I put that packet into a small ziplock bag that has a little Damprid (dessicant) in it, put the ziplock in a glass jar, vacuum pack the jar, and store in freezer until needed.

Using this method I've had pollen last 10+ years, but I did notice that the older the pollen got, the more male plants the seeds seemed to produce.
You had Reversed Feminized pollen last 10 years in the freezer or Regular Male pollen ?