What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Having trouble finding a solid male pollen doner.

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
View attachment 18747459
View attachment 18747460
View attachment 18747461
Here’s what some common crops look like originally and what they look like today after selection and breeding.
I was just explaining this to my wife the other day. Told her, all these people screaming about genetically modified this and that, and oh the horrors. Just about every single fruit/vegetable crop we consume. Is a genetically modified organism. Thru thousands of years. With human intervention. Selecting for traits, breeding for those traits, cross breeding compatible species to make new ones. All are forms of genetic modification, or at least part of the process. These days we have the science and tech to cut out 100's of years of selection/work.

Captain Red Eye

I propose different end goals help determine the method when using males.

If you want to do a wide band seed preservation, makes sense to put all the dogs in the kennel and let 'em hump away.

Not all pollen slinging has the goal of preservation though.

If you're looking to make a cross or trying to find or conjure up a trait for whatever your own reasons are, I don't think looking for or using a "particular male" is a bad thing or a rookie mistake.

This year, outdoors among other "pollen chucking projects", I used two different moose and lobsta v2 males to pollinate many different plants. The boys, brothers from a seed increase from a past year, looked similar, (one flowered a little quicker) but I didn't mix their pollen, or want to, this time.
On several plants of different "strains" I used both males, at two different sites. The males resembled their sisters which showed good outdoor mold resistance and decent finish time in years past and I liked the smoke. Why not make some crosses to try outdoors in future years with these males?