What's new

has anyone used the power from a night storage heat to run grow lights at night ?

belfast

Night storage heaters
Unit price 0.1838
Effective unit price including Direct Debit discount** 0.1672
Effective unit price including Direct Debit and online billing discount** 0.1635
Unit price - Night Storage Heating **** 0.0970 0.0970
Effective unit price including Direct Debit discount** 0.0883 0.0970
Effective unit price including Direct Debit and online billing discount** 0.0864
https://www.electricireland.ie/switchchange/elecValuesaver.htm
has anyone used the power from a night storage heat to run grow lights at night ?

rebel grower

Suppose it would depend on how many hours that rate would kick in for flower mode could be used for..good to see you still around,an Uncle told me you were dodgy I realisenowadays he was full of shit.

rebel grower

And you could use a 240 volt relay for signal when cheap electric stops, to kick your main supply to the lights either through an contactor or relay.

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Those prices are near identicle to what i pay in the UK , my 3 bed semi had 30 kw of storage heaters fitted when i moved in years ago , expensive to run now and i use a woodburner.

Currently all power used between one am and eight am is at 8 pence a unit , worth haveing for immersion heater/washing machines/tumblers ect on timer as well as even a small grow , saves us a substantial sum , two hundred pounds a year on just a 600 perp flower room and some veg.

The heater cableing is only live for this time , but is easily rewired at the meter as high capacity spurs with appropriate ELCB,s permanently live or timed 12/12 if required , usually with higher capacity and safety in older property than an existing ringmain.

If it requires a change of meter , be carefull they dont fit a smart one on the sly , changeing suplier seems to trigger this locally , replaceing fully servicable meters at considerable expense with a smart equivalent , the threat is probably overstated but best avoided.