What's new

Has Anyone Tried The OG Vertical Reflector?

PuReKnOwLeDgE

Licensed Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I just picked a couple of these up. I am slapping one each in two dr150 II secret jardins (5' x 5' x 80"H) with 1000 watter on a flip/flop. It sucks how much space it takes up in the 80" tent but I only plan on a 4 week or so veg. I am pretty excited to be running some of these, if all goes well I will install 10 of them in my main flower. I have been pretty stubborn and cheap on hoods, it is weird because it isn't like me to cheap out on anything but I always used inexpensive hoods. After seeing the ill effects of an improper footprint first hand I am changing things up. I will get some pics of the setup when it is done sometime this week.

the gnome

Veteran
I just picked a couple of these up. I am slapping one each in two dr150 II secret jardins (5' x 5' x 80"H) with 1000 watter on a flip/flop. It sucks how much space it takes up in the 80" tent but I only plan on a 4 week or so veg. I am pretty excited to be running some of these, if all goes well I will install 10 of them in my main flower. I have been pretty stubborn and cheap on hoods, it is weird because it isn't like me to cheap out on anything but I always used inexpensive hoods. After seeing the ill effects of an improper footprint first hand I am changing things up. I will get some pics of the setup when it is done sometime this week.

very anxious to see how these play out for you PK.
Im going into my new bloom room soon and I'll have 9-10ft of headroom available.

eyes

Veteran
Room is almost done...just letting this So Cal heat pass by....
So far so good... these make 600's BRIGHT as fuck

how well sealed are these as far as leaks? notice any yet? how heavy? any last but not least, how well do they air cool compared to any ss supply hoods? looks nice by the way.:biggrin:

jtechnical

I just picked up 2 as well, upgrading my 2k to 4. Should work great for me running only a 8'x8' room and these being best suitied for smaller areas (3.5'x3.5'). Any larger and other less exspensive hoods are more then comaparable. Will be running along side yieldmaster II's first round. Was able to pick up locally for $199 each, thought was pretty good for some retail ive seen. Really like the way they look also for some reason. So far so good will post some pictures in next couple days.

blas_t01

OG's

OG's

Hey Storm Shadow, I have you beat, I have 36 of them, lol.
I will let people know how things go, but first impressions, they run extremely cool, very nice light spread.
Aubrey from Growlite, also sent me a sample of a specialty eye protection designed for use under HPS lights called Method 7. They are very nice!!
Todd

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 14

cyat

Veteran
cons:not lovin the spread.... bright mostly in the center... and blazin hot in the center at 3ft away, super heavy

pros:cool name and paint job.. plus nice latches on the glass hatch( made it easy to get rid of)

blas.. funny we have had the opposite experience

blas_t01

I have them set up in a run of 6 with an 8 inch vortex fan pulling fresh air threw them. The reflector housing is cool to the touch, and the glass can be touched as well. Also with 9 of them in one room the cross lumz are very impressive. There are 21 of another type of air cooled reflector in the room as well so I will let you know how they compare. I will let you know how things turn out threw out the whole cycle, the room has only been up and running for a week, and have my ballasts are set of 50% still.

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 11

blas_t01

We really did have an opposite experience because i hate the paint color, and the latches, hindges suck lol.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I just went through this topic..I wanted to get the most out of my Vertical bulbs. I was going to get some reflectors. The conclusion was not to use any reflectors. With Vertical lighting the bulbs are down close to the plants. No plants are placed directly underneath that's the worst spot to put any.. I try to keep them 10" from any plant. With the reflector on this space would be much larger(farther away from the plants). You would need to put your plants directly underneath so all of the light would be reflected. having that glass loses lumen's by about 8%.... I put the money in adding another light, room ventilation and covering the whole room with panda...If you look at pictures from Vertical gardens nobody uses reflectors.. This is my flower room. There are 2 more fans not shown and I'm adding a 8" in line to add more fresh cool air....Adding the 1k light increased the temps another 10 deg. my room is running to close to 90f when lights are on I was at 78f before the 1k was added...Adding more room air exchange will take care of that

picture.php

blas_t01

I just UPGRADED from bare vertical bulbs , to AC reflectors. I recieved my OG reflectors for $199.00 plus delivery from Organic America.
Because of the AC reflectors, I do not have too run my 5 ton AC unit too cool the bare bulbs and was able too add 8 more lights for the same amount of amps.
My room runs so effecient for heat, that the added heat from the 16 burner CO2 generator, brought the temperature back upto ideal.

DrFever

Veteran
I find when you have a manufacturer throwing up a video claiming there product is better reminds me of them ford dodge and Chevy commercials hahahaha
would love to see a unbiased test maybe both bulbs being brand new and witness
any light that is enclosed and has a glass is going to lose lets compare the og to open reflector with a diffuser
that is if your really worried about hot spots i never have had any issues with hot spots and have had 1000's as low as 14" from tops

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKA4IOuNX8Q

hereigrow

If u watch the OG vs xxl comparison to me looks like the xxl is much brighter, but the two of the light meters on the OG side have twice the value as the xxl...weird

Stonefree69

Veg & Flower Station keeper
Veteran
So what was the final verdict on these. I can get a few for $100 ea
Well if you aren't going w/vertical bare bulb the OG looks fantastic from 24"-36" distance for 1,000 watt. 24" may seem a bit far for some from the canopy but what that does is give better coverage for all the plants or canopy (plants closer will hog light from other plants). Better efficiency.

joe guy

So lets say they do have a slightly shitty spread at the ends,
So wouldn't just over lapping the footprints a little in therory
Still give u results of 2 one k's using 2 six hundreds? You would loose a foot of foot print but dosnt that in turn give you more watts per sq. ft? I thought that was good butI'm a bit lifted on my sky walker and it makes my brain think faster than it process shit so I get a bit bottle neckin goin on with my thought process... Correct me if I'm wrong :tiphat:
And on another note do any of you think using a 400 with a bulb extender produce equiv. of a 600 with out this HOT SPOT issue?
I know for a fact the 600 is the bang for your buck as far as lumens goes but aren't lumens for humans? Ha ha love that phrase...