What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Green land rush, gold rush

oldchuck

Veteran
Check this out folks. Pissed me off. I'd like to hear what some of your N. California people think about it.

http://www.alternet.org/drugs/marijuana-land-rush-northern-california

I commented on that story:

"
<header> oldchuck 3 hours ago </header> This really pissed me off and I have been fully expecting it for some time. Those folks in northern California are pioneers and innovators in the world of weed. They have ducked the law for generations now. They grow beautiful plants often fully exposed to helicopter cops yet they have persisted. They have done some excellent agronomy in their hybrid breeding experiments and their growing techniques. All these new greed merchants will completely fuck things up. Prices will drop through the floor. So will quality. There is not as much profit potential as these green rushers imagine.
Folks in the weed community have moaned and fretted for years about stupid things like Marlboro weed or GM Monsanto weed. It ain't necessary. These green rush assholes will consolidate into equally giant vultures with trendy new names. I see the same BS starting to rumble in the east where I am.

Respect for the old time Triangle people and screw these greed merchants. I'd rather stay an outlaw."

Somebody answered and told me to chill, that everything would work out okay. I commented back this:

"Yeah, Green Rush days just like Gold Rush days. Still pisses me off. You ever see any pictures from back then, after the first crop of Gold Rushers had exhausted all the easy to get stuff by panning it? Most of them failed and went away poor. In the 1860s and 70s I think, the big operators took over. I have seen photos of them washing away whole hillsides with these giant fire hoses. All the debris washing into the rivers. The river valleys became sterile skeletons, all the soil washed down to bedrock. The people who bitch about the environmental effects of careless pot growers have a good point

And yeah, the old timers out there will fight somehow. I talk to some of them. I wish them well in their fight."

I hope this one does't get shitcanned like the last thread I posted because it was too political. I admit it. I am political.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Read the article, oldchuck. Sad to see the influx and greed, but it happens in any industry (mining, timber) using natural resources, crowding out families making a living (or trying to) and big bruisers coming in, taking over.

And I'm sure the cable series WEED COUNTRY didn't help either.