What's new

Green highlands foraging

Green Highland

Nettles are popping.
D4DBF02C-C54E-4F68-9890-51DA07EB62ED.jpeg

Beautiful photos!

What are those toothy lions mane looking mushrooms called? I’ve seen those popping out of the forest humus before.
These are called Hericium coralloides or in lamens terms coral tooth. It’s in the lions mane family. These are saprotrophic and will always be growing on hardwood and the teeth will always be pointing down.If they were growing out of moss there was probably some dead hardwood just under the surface. Love to eat these and they’re hella medicinal as well.

Green Highland

Didn’t find any morels today. I did find a false morel and another leek patch just off an atv trail about ten minutes from home. Wild leeks and trout Lillie’s as far as you can see in that forest. It never ceases to amaze me just how many leeks are in this area. I was a chef for 25 years and have spent lots of money on wild leeks.
F017592B-EE49-4F68-830E-E301AA5C333B.jpeg

Attachments

• 1226322F-3418-4377-B180-9121124D1E4C.jpeg
    1226322F-3418-4377-B180-9121124D1E4C.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 51

Green Highland

Yesterdays finds. Also bagged some more wild leeks. Got about 4 pounds of fiddle heads, some baby pheasant backs(dryads saddle) and found a bunch of gyromitra(false morels). Heading back out today for a couple hours to see what I can find.
99576165-5DC2-49D9-875B-CB5A1EC58B2E.jpeg

Green Highland

Always awesome to see this thread..
Finished food dishes? I have some ferns to harvest so im curious how you eat them.
I usually just Blanche them for 2-3 minutes in salted boiling water. Heat a pan with some garlic and ginger and a little olive to start, cook garlic and ginger for a couple minutes sit until slight golden,once hot add the fiddle heads after they have been blanched, add a splash of veg stock or water. add a tablespoon or two of soy sauce, teaspoon or two of sesame oil, couple teaspoons of fermented chili paste or sriracha and couple teaspoons of honey. Toss to coat and reduce sauce to a a loose glazed sauce and finish with toasted sesame seeds or shaved almonds. It’s pretty good.

exoticrobotic

I love the hedghog mushroom for it's taste and ease of identification.

Saw a few Panther caps out in Epping recently after the rains. No hedhogs or boletus yet although i didnt search long.

No mistaking hedgehog mushrooms for anything more sinister.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-66391325

Two Saturdays ago, five people sat down for a family meal in a tiny Australian town.
Within a week, three would be dead, a fourth fighting for life, and the fifth under investigation for potentially poisoning her guests with wild mushrooms.
But the 48-year-old woman who cooked the lunch says she has no idea what happened, and that she loved her family and wouldn't hurt them.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
there are mushrooms in southeast Asia (which they love to eat) that are visually identical to mushrooms found here that will kill your ass. almost every year, some immigrant families fall victim to the confusion. :(

Latest posts

Latest posts