What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Grafting Cannabis with a Cypress

sbruftl

Hi everyone here! :)
Let me ask you a question, is it possible to graft cannabis with a cypress (a small one)? I know that's possible to put cannabis on hop. I was wondering if it could be done even with other plants. It's not important to have flowers. I just want to be sure that if i combine them the cannabis plant won't die, in other words, as I graft the cannabis, will the plant take "food" and water as normal?
It might sound crazy, but I'm probably going to try it…

Heusinomics

Allow me to offer you a warm welcome to the community!
It already looks like you will fit right in. ;D

Interesting Q

I can't say wether it would work. But I'd start by trying to match the woodiness of the cypress w the cutting your hopping to graft. So maby try a slightly older tougher branch of canna jst so they match up in a physical sense.

Let us know how it works out.
Best of luck and happy growing.

OakyJoe

TC Nursery est 2020
Veteran
They dont have the same counts on chromosoms and others so prob not possible

Betterhaff

Veteran
Very inquisitive first post and welcome…

But I don’t think it will work. They are from different plant families. Grafting is most successful within the same species, joining 2 different cultivars. It can be done with different species from the same genus. There are also examples of successful grafting of plants with different genera but from the same family.

The success rate kind of works down the line starting with species…species > genus > family.

redlaser

Veteran
Take a look at tomato grafting, or any other grafting and see what the requirements are. In a nutshell you want the growth as close to the same age as possible to make a smoother graft transition. Adding an unrelated plant to the equation is asking for a challenge to say the least.

sbruftl

Thank you everyone for your answers! I know that these two plants have nothing in common, I've used the same soil and the same nutrients for both plants.
My first will for that cypress was to make a bonsai, but I changed my mind.
I don't care a lot for my cypress… but I do for this "experiment", now, what I am going to do is to wait until I can have a few cuttings, I'll choose one of them and I'm going to graft with the little cypress. But, how am I going to do this? By transversely cutting the trunk then I'll put the chosen cutting inside and gently close them together with a tiny rope. I will put some photos when I begin to do this "experiment".

purple_man

Veteran
nah bro, wont work...

they are different plant families, hence "incompatible" on many levels for the graft and "rootstock" to merge, theoretically you could try n graft it on other cannabecaes :)

blessss
ps.: whats the motive if i may axe?

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Read up on approach graft. If it's going to work, the younger the plants, the higher chance of success.

Rather skeptical myself, but hell, why not try? Even if it doesn't work out, you've picked up a bit of knowledge and experience :)

sbruftl

You're right it probably won't work, but just image if I could play to be God for a second and merge them tighter. I'm joking.
The motive is because I've nothing to do and I want to try something new. Keep imaging, keep trying.
In a pair of weeks my cuttings will be done so I'll update you.
Let's pretend just for a second that it will work…

armedoldhippy

Veteran
I've wondered myself about grafting small cuttings from a mom onto hops plants. would you end up with a hops plant & buds growing on it in the fall? just curious...:biggrin: would be cool if it worked...

sbruftl

Yes you will have some hops and some buds. Grafting with an hop plant surely will produce results, unless you've done something wrong or something didn't work properly.

Just to inform you guys, I'm using Cronquist Classification:
Cypress:
Domain: Eukaryota
Kingdom: Plantae
Sub-Kingdom: Tracheobionta
Superdivision: Spermatophyta
Division: Pinophyta
Class: Pinopsida
Order: Pinales
Family: Cupressaceae
Genus: Cupressus
Species: Cupressus sempervirens

Division: Magnoliophyta
Class: Magnoliopsida
Order: Urticales
Family: Cannabaceae
Genus: Humulus
Species: H. lupulus

Cannabis:
Division: Magnoliophyta
Class: Magnoliopsida
Subclass: Hamamelidae
Order: Urticales
Family: Cannabaceae
Genus: Cannabis
Species:
1) Cannabis sativa L.
2) Cannabis indica Lam.
3) Cannabis ruderalis Janisch

Here's the simple reason why grafting with hops is better…

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran

But, how am I going to do this? By transversely cutting the trunk then I'll put the chosen cutting inside and gently close them together with a tiny rope.

I think your chances of success will be greater if you tie the graft closed with a tiny hemp rope.

budman678

I come from the land where the oceans freeze
Veteran
I have grafted different colors jap maples together. Gorgeous of course

Former Guest

I saw you could graft cannabis to hops long long ago and from what I remember it works but the dominant plant is the hops and if you've ever grown hops, it grows a few feet per day sometimes so the buds on the cannabis don't really get a chance to be their full potential. People were trying to get the genes to mix so their hops would bloom buds or fast huge growing cannabis plants. There were YouTube videos if I remember right. This was about a year ago I was looking at this though.

Btw, we have an apple tree with a different apple for each branch. the apples are small and the tree just doesn't seem to thrive. I have heard of people grafting different strains into a single main stalk just the same. Takes a while for it to recover but is great for keeping mums within your numbers.

Former Guest

artist-rendering-0e36157498dec9b2c2128ba62ff94cab4ab9a9ed-s1100-c15.jpg

8b2e5354c510ec1810d875cd92c2bff4.jpg