What's new

Diary Goji Grow

buzzmobile

Veteran
On Saturday 1/21/2023 there was a package in my mailbox. I opened the package and found a book and a container of seeds. I picked out a pack labeled Goji3 and there were three seeds. I picked another pack labeled Kashmiri Azad and there were many seeds. I chose three of the Azad. I usually plant seeds in multiples of three for no particular reason.

I use ProMix BK25 and start seeds in 2" pots. The healthy seedlings get stepped up to a 4" pot after a couple of weeks. Eventually they finish in a three gallon pot. I have Fluence Spydrx Plus fixtures in veg and flower rooms. I feed with MegaCrop. There are nine three gallon pots in flower. I harvest one plant per week and move a replacement plant from veg to flower each week. Most of the strains I run are ready in 9 weeks. If they need to go longer I have a bright corner where they can finish.

I have been growing and harvesting one a week for 21 years.

The Goji3's are above ground and the Azads are still sleeping. The first Goji emerged with a very tight helmethead. I was able to remove the husk with some effort and left it overnight. The next morning the cotyledons were stuck closed from the membrane that had remained after the husk was removed. My old hands were a bit fumble fingered and I damaged the cotyledon. I think it will be able to generate a true leaf, but we shall see.
P1302404.JPG

OOPS!
P1302405.JPG

The last to surface
P1302407.JPG

A few weeks ago I started an assortment of a dozen seeds: Killing Kush, Sour Princess x Chocolate Trip, Northern Lights #5 x Big Sur Holy Bud, Stinkyfruit x Oaxaca. I moved them into the bright corner of the flower room yesterday to sex them.

P1302408.JPG

This is a Wedding Cake x Oaxaca from an open pollination in the flower room I did a few months ago. It entered the 9th week in flower yesterday. It may need time in the bright corner to finish. I have not looked at trichomes yet.
P1272403.JPG
P1272404.JPG

I have a stud Oaxaca male flowering in another room. While collecting some pollen yesterday morning there was a visitor.
P1272409.JPG

buzzmobile

Veteran
Someone gifted Goji x a fast GSC, which i didn't get to do, before i shut down the growing. Am REALLY curious about that one, as i don't think that i've ever had a cross of either parent. So, i'll be watching...
Thanks for the reply, @Nannymouse . This is my first grow with Goji so I am as curious about them as you. In a few months from now I hope I am happily buzzed. Lights come on a little after 6A.

buzzmobile

Veteran
I took a few pictures down below yesterday while the seedlings were doing their thing. I have a sister in law who gifts me with trinkets on occasion and what better place to display them than a grow room?
Trinkets first.
P1312407.JPG
P1312404.JPG
P1312406.JPG

A souvenir from Sicily called a "3 Legged Asshole" by the Impetuous Sailors of Sigonella.

P1312405.JPG

Then there are the critters that visit on occasion.
P1312403.JPG

The snakeskins are from white oak snakes aka grey rat snakes that use the veg room as a changing room. I discovered the Hercules beetle trying to burrow into a drainage hole of a 3 gallon pot. She's hanging with the 'skins now.

buzzmobile

Veteran
Meanwhile back in the veg room three Gojis are making headway. Helmethead on the right was up first, center came up second no problem and the last one to show is on the left.
P2012408.JPG

The helmetheaded one with tattered cotyledons is definitely pushing new leaves. They're tiny and developing.
P2012409.JPG

Last one up has some deformation on the cotyledons.
P2012410.JPG

buzzmobile

Veteran
Sunday morning update on the 3 Goji 3 seedlings. They are progressing slowly.
The #1 plant above ground pushed out a couple of wrinkled true leaves. There is a second set beginning to emerge.
P2052417.JPG

The #2 plant above ground is cruising.
P2052416.JPG

The #3 plant above ground has opened its cotyledons and a set of true leaves appeared.
P2052415.JPG

Sunday is the usual harvest day. Last Sunday's harvest was this Sunshine Daydream that has been hanging for the past week. It is now hanging from a ceiling fan in another room to finish drying.
P2052411.JPG

There will be no harvest this Sunday. The Wedding Cake x Oaxaca plant is not ready in 9 weeks so it will spend a week or three more in a bright corner of the flower room. It has a fuel smell.

P2052412.JPG

P2052413.JPG

I moved a Candy Jack from the veg room to the flower room to begin its 9 week journey under the lights.

buzzmobile

Veteran
Never a dull moment down there. I have had critters crawl under the house to find their way into the grow rooms. A short time ago I went down there to close up the rooms for the night. A Carolina wren flew from the flower room into veg. Time for a roundup. I immediately turned off the exhaust fan. There was another wren down there a while back. I was not able to get it out of the rooms so I closed them thinking the bird would find an exit. What I did not think was that the bird would fly into the exhaust fan opening during the night.

I guided it up the stairs and it flew into the kitchen. I had the front door propped open and it flew from the kitchen to a ceiling fan and then out the open door. YAY!
1675982938605.png
I noticed something at the back of the veg room just to the right of the globe on the sill plate.
It has been a spell but there's going to be another snakeskin to collect in a few days.

P2092409.JPG

P2092410.JPG

I could not see its head from the floor so I had no clue as to where the head was.

The Goji3 are still growing slowly.

shiva82

Sunday morning update on the 3 Goji 3 seedlings. They are progressing slowly.
The #1 plant above ground pushed out a couple of wrinkled true leaves. There is a second set beginning to emerge.
View attachment 18808308

The #2 plant above ground is cruising.
View attachment 18808309

The #3 plant above ground has opened its cotyledons and a set of true leaves appeared.
View attachment 18808310

Sunday is the usual harvest day. Last Sunday's harvest was this Sunshine Daydream that has been hanging for the past week. It is now hanging from a ceiling fan in another room to finish drying.
View attachment 18808311

There will be no harvest this Sunday. The Wedding Cake x Oaxaca plant is not ready in 9 weeks so it will spend a week or three more in a bright corner of the flower room. It has a fuel smell.

View attachment 18808312

View attachment 18808313

I moved a Candy Jack from the veg room to the flower room to begin its 9 week journey under the lights.
are your daydreams f2 repros, or originals? looking good .

buzzmobile

Veteran
It's an original gift, @shiva82 . There's a Genius Thai that came with it. ;)

Yesterday when I opened the rooms the snake had moved on. Its eyes are clear in the photos so it was not ready to shed yet. My grow partners have free rein down there. There used to be a couple holly bushes outside the front porch. I had a bird feeder hanging above one of the bushes. A very large oak snake (over 5') would wrap itself around the bird feeder and hang around. I don't know if it ever caught a meal.

shiva82

i would shit my pants on the spot if i found that in my grow room pal. i'm honest. my reaction would be wtf , i would pick up another plant tub of matching size and place on top of the tub with the snake and plant and squash the fucker into the soil in bewteen pots safely, and take out side and kick it over from distance to release and losing two plants in the process . i'm not trained to identify snakes

nothing is more terrifying than my cat Big Meech breaking into my grow room and causing carnage

Attachments

• IMG_2364.JPG
    IMG_2364.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 58
Last edited:

buzzmobile

Veteran
That's a harmless scarlet king snake not to be confused with a venomous coral snake. There have been a couple close encounters with eastern diamondback rattlesnakes one of which was in an outside closet.

When it rains a lot in the winter the ground water begins to flow across the floor from the flower room towards the veg room. The sump is in the back corner of the veg room. There have been times when the float switch on the sump pump has not floated. The deepest the water rose on a stuck float occasion was about mid-calf. That was not a good morning. There were plants floating and a broken pump.

Not too wet down there...
yet.
P2112411.JPG

P2112412.JPG

The Goji3 are going to get a little Clonex today or tomorrow.

Attachments

• P2052414.JPG
    P2052414.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 61

buzzmobile

Veteran
Now it's wet. It rained all night Friday, all day and night Saturday, and today is cloudy and breezy. Ground water is coming up through the old floor. It will dry out down there in late March when the trees and grass start growing again. Until then it will be squishy.

P2122411.JPG

Goji3 this morning
First
P2122413.JPG

Second
P2122414.JPG

Third
P2122415.JPG

Latest posts

Latest posts