What's new

Ginger Snap Canna Mead

G

Mead is a wine that is made from honey, also historically the Vikings drank this beverage for calibrations and before they went out into battle.
Mead can either be dry or sweet, still or sparkling.
The flavors in mead tend to be delicate, and is one of the wines I tend to go crazy with :D
Mead is one thing that should never be hurried, but rather given time to mature and reach it's full potential.
The recipe below says to let it ferment for 2-3 months in primary fermentation and 3-4 months in secondary fermentation.
I would also suggest that once it has been bottled, to let it age in the bottle an additional 6 months... Believe me it is worth it.

Ginger Snap Canna Mead

This should come out in the neighborhood of 15% alcohol by volume.

Ingredients for 5 gallons (19 liters)

18 lbs light clover honey
1 cup lemon juice
4 oz fresh ginger slices (each about the size of a quarter)
zest of 2 lemons
4 - 8 ounces of popcorn buds and trim (water cured, so as not to have a green taste.)
White Labs Sweet Mead Yeast WLP720 or Wyeast Dry Mead 3632 (depending on preference)

Directions

Bring ginger, juice and zest and 2 gallons water to a full boil. turn off the heat and pour into a fermenter (bucket with lid and airlock, glass will break if hot water is poured directly into it).
Add honey and stir well, then add cold water to 5 gallons.
Add yeast when temperature is 70º - 80º.
Allow to remain in primary fermenter for 2-3 MONTHS before transferring liquids only to a secondary fermenter at which time you place the buds and trim along with it in a silk screen bag.
After 3-4 months in the secondary fermenter it will be time to bottle.It is best after it has been in the bottle for a few months. The longer the better.

Sleepy

Veteran
i love a nice mead... :yummy:

i prefer the sweet to the dry.

your recipe sounds tasty!

true nectar of the gods! :sasmokin:

Sleepy

Veteran
hi, dankdude...

i used to brew, but i gave all my equipment, fermenters, ingredients away a few years ago... :badday:

drinking your own brew/mead/wine is a blast.

if one can stir soup, one can make beer.

unfortunately for me, i am no longer physically able to brew/carry lift gallons of liquid at a time...

i still have some of my barleywines and meads, though. :yummy:

D

Don Cotyle

Thanks for the reciepy Dankdude, it sounds great! I'll have to give it a try!!!