What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Funny Pictures Are Funny

chilliwilli

Waterboy
Veteran
362223209_10228058698907354_6827088288034086070_n.jpg

GenghisKush

The story behind that paper is wild.
Gill says she's observed enough lobsters to be able to tell that the little hit of marijuana makes a positive difference before they meet their maker. She thinks they're more relaxed, almost sedated, and that's something she considers more humane than the approach taken earlier this year in Switzerland, where it's now illegal to boil a live lobster. The Swiss law is part of country's constitutional provision to "protect the dignity of the creature," and is the first of its kind in the world. The law requires chefs cooking lobsters to "render them unconscious" first.

"What they've offered as other methods are you can stab it in the head or you can electrocute it, and I'm all for making the passage of the lobster better, but I'm thinking these are not good methods," Gill says.

"I don't think the science is there right now to say whether or not lobsters are anesthetized by marijuana, but it's an intriguing idea and maybe worthy of exploration," says Richard Wahle, a researcher at the school of marine science at the University of Maine and director of the Lobster Institute.

here's the full text of the paper itself

armedoldhippy

Veteran
how on earth do you go about rendering a lobster unconscious? smack him behind the ear with a blackjack? (do they HAVE ears? :dunno:) OD him with blue valiums? soak him in Jack Daniels? inquiring minds want to know...