What's new
  • As of today ICMag has his own Discord server. In this Discord server you can chat, talk with eachother, listen to music, share stories and pictures...and much more. Click the link to join now and let's grow together! https://discord.gg/2RRJW2XCZU
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Freeze these seeds?

Treevly

They are a somewhat early strain, and I need to keep them for next year's effort. In a freezer bag, inside a vitamin bottle with a snap top: is that OK? Someone told me to put a little bit of rice in as a desiccant. Yes?
Thanks for any feedback.

Deathstar_69

They are a somewhat early strain, and I need to keep them for next year's effort. In a freezer bag, inside a vitamin bottle with a snap top: is that OK? Someone told me to put a little bit of rice in as a desiccant. Yes?
Thanks for any feedback.
Absolutely, freezing seeds is a great way to preserve them for next season. Storing them in a freezer bag inside a vitamin bottle is a smart move, as it protects the seeds from moisture and light. Adding a bit of rice as a desiccant is a good idea to absorb any excess moisture, which helps prevent spoilage. Just ensure the seeds are dry before freezing and thaw them gradually to avoid condensation. Happy gardening next year!

notnevil

For long term storage I dry the seeds in a cloth bag hanging in warm dry place for a few weeks, for short periods its not so important.
Make an envelope with toilet paper, place seeds in and wrap a few extra times with toilet paper.
For small amounts I put the paper bundle in black film canister.
Then I wrap the canister in toilet paper and put it in larger sealed container.
----------------------
What I have found is as important as cool temperature is temperature stability.
Many people would not bother, but I put containers in the woven reusable supermarket bags.
Then I put these bags in the square insulated reusable supermarket bag.
---------------------
The point is, that the layers stop condensation, but you have to reopen and sometimes change the toilet paper until all materials come to equal temperature and moisture is gone.
The benefit is you can remove a single batch of seed without reheating the others.
I have had seeds stored like this for 5 or more years and still get at least 50% germination.
The quality of seeds from the plant and drying define storage time more!
--------------------
I don't freeze seeds, they do fine at 5-10 degrees C

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts