What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Found old seeds: "GD London 1972"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oceangrownkush

Veteran
Yeah winterizing them in the fridge or freezer might up your chances, I'm speaking from anecdotal evidence though so don't take my word. You never know that would be rad to see what bud looked like in 72! Lets not forget its not definitive it was a GD show, though it would seem to be haha.. You should ask if anyone still breathing was with him in 72 what they did that year..

I wish you luck and sorry for your loss. If they pop and you end up getting a male and a female then take a loss and toss some pollen boys!!

Mr_Grimbo

Condolences on your grandpa. As to the GD part of the mystery, it occured to me today that most of the deadheads I knew back then were very easy to spot by their "uniform".. I wasn't a deadhead but I lived with a traveling crew back in the early 80's. I won't insult any good old heads by describing my impression of the style but suffice to say, if your grandpa was a deadhead, you would know it.. There would be some parts of that lifestyle left behind besides the seeds... Now, there is also a chance he went to shows but wasn't a "deadhead", just dug the scene, so the mystery goes on. I guess my point is if he was a deadhead in the 70's, you would probably know it having gone through his old memories... Cherish anything he left you, it was a golden time to be a kid.

Mr. Grimbo

R

recent guest

Their size could give you a hint as to sativa or indica heritage.

From seeds that I've seen I would hazard a guess that these are from a sativa. Also the date on the bag seems to back this up, since thats what was primarily going around in the 60's and 70's as far as I've heard. I know my granddad toked quite a bit back in the day so the fact that he saved these seems promising to me that it was some good herb. And I think it's safe to say that GD London 1972 was the Grateful Dead Europe tour in 72. I actually have that live CD. Maybe I'll play it for the seeds if (when) they sprout! Good vibes.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

sallyforthDeleted member 75382

Nice story, but sorry for your loss.

I've germed old seeds before, last year some skunk seed I had from the eightie's, which I found in an old drum case in the loft when I went up there to get me kit out.

I scuffed the seeds first, got a tumbler of mineral water ( Volvic...ph7 ), added a pinch of grow feed left the seeds in the tumbler for 12 hours.

Next I refreshed the water and put in a pinch of hormone powder in ( stuff you clone with) and a drop of superthrive, for 12 hours.

Then into moist cotton wool pads, or you could use the paper towl method...temps were kept at 80 degree's F.

out of 12 seeds about 7 came through, 3 nice females of very old school skunk, big fat leaves, chunky flowers and so stinky and potent, tried to keep a mother as all were keepers but it died on me and I still don't know why. Was gonna make a load of seeds with these as they really were speical.

Just thought I'd chuck in my method, it might not work, it's just what I did. I did have advise on this from a breeder for Delta9 labs seeds.

Best of luck and if they do germ, make some seeds man.

R

recent guest

Well folks...

WE HAVE 100% GERMINATION!

Edit: I neglected to mention that I left half of the seeds (the less healthy looking half) at my mother's house for safekeeping, and will be trying to get F2 seeds out of these three, then run the other three later with that generation and with clones of the three I have. 100% germination is really misleading, sorry. I have only tried to germinate one, and it sprouted, so thats what I mean.

hmmm... i need a smiley for that. :tumbleweed:

No....:dance013:

Ok.

I would like to reply to some of the previous messages because...Um...I have things to say about the things that were said. But...too many things are going on in my head and I still dont know how to work icmag. Sorry!

hmmm...i need a smiley for that. :cathug:

R

recent guest

Ok here's what went down:

I toolk a piece of 600 grit sand paper and LIGHTLY scuffed these valuable seeds. I did nothing more than drag them lightly across the paper with the tip of my finger to scruff up ye olde seed coat. I let my girlfriend scuff one (Edit: this is misleading too, she scuffed a DNA Genetics Sour Cream. And it ended up sprouting) and I bet her 100 units of currency that hers wouldnt germ. Well not 100 units of currency, but I bet her SOMETHING hers wouldnt.

Next I put the seeds (Edit: The 1 GD and the rest of the seeds for the other strains Im running, check out my other thread) in water for less than 24 hours. I used osmotically filtered tap water, which for me comes out of a spring. I dont see the need for mineral water because at this stage I am simply germinating and not attempting to supply the taproot with nutrients or minerals.

After approximately a 9 hour soak in warm water, I poured the three seeds over a paper towel, moistening it in the process. Allowing the excess water to drip from the towel, I fashioned it into an inverted hollow cone. (Picture one of those cone shaped drinking cups that come out of the dispenser for an office water jug?) I wanted to allow the seeds access to air as well as moisture. Then i put them all inside the inverted wet paper towel cone and into a jar with a metal lid.

I wrapped tin foil around the lid to keep the light out.

I placed this contraption next to the HOT water pipe going into my hot water heater.

I then preceded to wait.

Now I want to post a picture. But god damn it Im too high.

Highlighter

ring that bell
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hope it works! :)

(Haha, the "I'm too high" double post! :D )

Steve Tuck's (Hillbilly Dreams Seed Co.) method for popping old seeds was to pop a hole in the top of a lid to a screw on jar, running an air hose thru, and epoxy it into place.
Fill jar w/ water and a drop of Thrive Alive, and if you can get it, a drop of DMSO. Place seeds in, screw on lid and run an air pump in.
Do that for 12 hrs., then into soil or paper towels, w/ heat.
The pressure, along w/ the DMSO, will get moisture into those dry old nuts.

Good luck!

bigherb

Veteran
I wish you best of luck

I'd suggesting keepin on eye on them an being close to that water pipe as too much heat could cause problems . I'm sure it's not necessary to have them next to such a high heat source. I'm also concerned about that jar method I'm not sure if your trying to imitate a done for humidity but I'd be concerned no oxygen might have ill effects

Also curious as your last post seems to lead up to the germ an In your previous post you said 100% germ . Soo did those seeds crack ?

Please don't take my post the wrong way . I'm just offering my advice from my Lil bit of experience . I'm excited to see stock from the 70's in hands of the community an thankful we may see your progress

1luvbigherb

R

recent guest

Hope it works! :)

(Haha, the "I'm too high" double post! :D )

Steve Tuck's (Hillbilly Dreams Seed Co.) method for popping old seeds was to pop a hole in the top of a lid to a screw on jar, running an air hose thru, and epoxy it into place.
Fill jar w/ water and a drop of Thrive Alive, and if you can get it, a drop of DMSO. Place seeds in, screw on lid and run an air pump in.
Do that for 12 hrs., then into soil or paper towels, w/ heat.
The pressure, along w/ the DMSO, will get moisture into those dry old nuts.

Good luck!

Ha! I used to dissolve drugs into DMSO and put it on my wrist, then go skiing. Sounds like a high as* idea to me :dance013:

I've been a gardener since I was 20, meaning 436 years, and the only thing that i've found seeds need for germination, from radishes to bayobab trees, is moisture, warmth, and oxygen. Think of it like a womb!

R

recent guest

Well, here we go. Like I think I said, scuffed a bit, soaked, then moist paper towel inside a glass jar and put next to the outflow pipe of my water heater. The temperature registered inside when I took the seed out was I think 87F. Little high but it worked. I have taken to placing the jars just a few cm off of the pipe and have had good results.

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
The match box method I have never heard of, but I have heard folks sand a bit of thickness off the point and seam so the seed has to use less energy to crack out...

Mr. Grimbo

Thats what I do. I dont think Ive seen a match box in years.

Hope that attic was well insulated.

R

recent guest

And heres the seedling @ 3 days.

If you check out my other grow journal you'll see that I've got mostly pure sativas going, a few indica dominant, and some hybrid. From what I have seen so far, I can't tell the difference between any of them at this stage. Caribe (for all intents and purposes a pure sat) has pretty fat leaves, and Destroyer (100% sativa) has a very thin set of first leaves. What Im asking is, based on this photo, any ideas as to what type we've got here?

R

recent guest

Also sorry for terrible photo quality but my camera seems to want to focus on the soil and refuses to consider the main subject!

R

recent guest

Hope that attic was well insulated.

Yeah it was in a straw bale kind of house. Moist climate, BUT, it was in a case with a ton of his old writing, on paper, that I think helped keep the moisture out. In any case, 100% germination so far! :dance013:

R

recent guest

I cant wait to see what these gems are, nice find Bear.

whats the policy on this site for sharing genetics via seed/cutting(clone)?

(Im always worried im doing something wrong anyway, wish this stuff was just culturally accepted.)

R

recent guest

ah understood. None of that! I did read the tou but it was quite lengthy.

No im not in GB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts