What's new

Flying on a plane to Alaska.. And have a dog

Big Bud Bear

Grow your own, and you got the best bone
Veteran
I've never been on a plane before, or to Alaska for that matter

I want to go, but I want to also bring my dog with me. I reside on the eastern coast of the USA. I am scared that something may happen to him. I am thinking the only choice would to be to drive to Alaska from PA. I believe that would be a 14 day drive

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
take some time doing Google searches for pet friendly or dog friendly airlines. Because you'll be involved in a long days travel these 'kinder' airlines have ground staff that'll take your dog out for walks between connecting flights, make sure food/water bowls are full, etc.......

my future US meanderings will be done by motor coach as I have two dogs myself, of course being retired means I can take my time wandering down the path less travelled.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
got home & had a look for you BBB.......

Search Results
that link above has some great info for you.

You'll need to have a kennel somewhat like this one.......

airlines don't accept the 'all steel wire' style kennels for transport. The kennel must be big enough for the dog to be able to 'turn around' in it so a big (48 inch) kennel for Rambo would be needed.

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
if you have the time, driving to alaska is an incredible trip. really puts in perspective just how far away, and large, and remote, and beautiful it is. good luck and enjoy either way....sub

NOKUY

Veteran
yeah it is an AMAZING drive to say the least....ive done 6 times (3 roundtrips).

another awesome option if you can swing it is to take the Alaska marine highway...it'll still require some driveing or flying, but you can take your dog on the ferry from seattle, and can visit him, feed him, and walk him while on board...and its not very expensive especially if you skip getting a cabin and camp on the deck (yes you are allowed to camp on the deck of the ship for the trip)

...here is a link to the marine highway if it interests you.
http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/

also if you drive you can take your car on the ferry so that you have it in alaska.

i'd be worried about flying w/ my dog too, but people do it all the time, and the vet will usually give you some medicine that will calm your dogs nerves, and make the flight not such a big deal.

...when are you planning the trip?

let me know if i can help w/ any advice in any way! :wave:

Last edited:
NOKUY said:
i'd be worried about flying w/ my dog too, but people do it all the time, and the vet will usually give you some medicine that will calm your dogs nerves, and make the flight not such a big deal.

marijuana-leaf.jpg

Big Bud Bear

Veteran
my license is suspended until September sadly, I have an older car and don't think nor trust the car to drive it there

things seems to be going south in regards to my job

so it looks like Alaska would be a a good idea

my company is moving hour north, i need to move to work there, and own a home at 25 yet do not have the money nor credit to buy another hoeme up there. and i can not commute there

i told my boss i wanted a 7 dollar raise now, and a 10k package for moving/apartment expenses and a raise to 45k a year. he declined it and thinks i am nuts

NOKUY

Veteran
could u sell you house and come out ahead?

could u sell your car?

u can buy a car in AK cheap (from peeps moving south)...we sold a saturn wagon for less than half its worth when we came back down here last time.....it happens often.

one bit of advice...u can usually find a job in AK, but I'd suggest that you get it pre-arranged now before u go....youll be wayyyyyyy less stressed.

ive done it both ways, and things always worked out nice, but having a pre-arranged job before going is priceless.

...u can arrange housing beforehand too....often through your employer.

im wishing ya luck as usual man....i wanna see u make it work bro :wave:

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Last time I travelled with an animal I was told he needed a certificate from the vet stating he was healthy. No one at the airport asked to see said certificate but, who knows what would happen had I failed to have one when asked. Check it out before you go.

Big Bud Bear

Veteran
i am just worried, i mean, i am looking at like 3 plane rides to get there from the east coast

Big Bud Bear

Veteran
NOKUY said:
could u sell you house and come out ahead?

could u sell your car?

u can buy a car in AK cheap (from peeps moving south)...we sold a saturn wagon for less than half its worth when we came back down here last time.....it happens often.

one bit of advice...u can usually find a job in AK, but I'd suggest that you get it pre-arranged now before u go....youll be wayyyyyyy less stressed.

ive done it both ways, and things always worked out nice, but having a pre-arranged job before going is priceless.

...u can arrange housing beforehand too....often through your employer.

im wishing ya luck as usual man....i wanna see u make it work bro :wave:

what do they do, have web came interviews and have my overnight urine samples?

NOKUY

Veteran
telephone interviews, and usually no UA, but if they do the job offer would be pending until u pass the ua when u get there

BBB...im gonna send u a pm in a min

Big Bud Bear

Veteran
NOKUY said:
yeah it is an AMAZING drive to say the least....ive done 6 times (3 roundtrips).

another awesome option if you can swing it is to take the Alaska marine highway...it'll still require some driveing or flying, but you can take your dog on the ferry from seattle, and can visit him, feed him, and walk him while on board...and its not very expensive especially if you skip getting a cabin and camp on the deck (yes you are allowed to camp on the deck of the ship for the trip)

...here is a link to the marine highway if it interests you.
http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/

also if you drive you can take your car on the ferry so that you have it in alaska.

...when are you planning the trip?

let me know if i can help w/ any advice in any way! :wave:

marine highway . sounds like a great option, where does the ship dock and how long of a trip is it? sounds like a cruise

Well, i offered my boss a deal how much money i want to move an hour away (my company is moving in 3 months) and he thouht i was crazy to the amount of money i asked for and rejected it, we are going to talk tomorromw, but i am not really wanting to lose my house and move an hour up north into an apartment if i dont get the salary i requested.

so if he does not cave in, i will save as much money in the next 2-3 months and make the move up there hopfully

Big Bud Bear

Veteran
Old Man Time said:
Where in AK? And of all places....why AK?
to get away from heavly populated areas, light pollution, air pollution

I love nature, the out doors, the sense and not seeing human creation/destruction everywhere

I have a big yard, but no privacy, have car driving by, people 50ft from my front door. I just don't find that to be the life i want to live. I'm not saying i'd live off the grid at first.

But AK has all of that and the options too.. Plus, i HATE summer here, even spring now that it is in the 70's. 50 is my limit, but i prefer winter type temps.

AK is also pretty light on MJ users/growers as well.

Didnt Alaska pass a law back in like the late 70's allowing personal cannabis use inside the home by those 18 and over(maybe its 21)?

FarmerJoe

Old Man Time said:
Where in AK? And of all places....why AK?

haha OMT has gotta protect the turf.

I can really see Alaska getting a lot of new age people moving up there looking for a different lifestyle in the north, even though its gonna piss some of the locals off lol.

And I can see a lot of those 'new age' folks turnin their happy asses around and high tailin' it first time it hits -20F.

Im not protecting turf....im not mean to tourists or anything....i just cant stand all the hoopla right now...its like an idiot rush to get here. I think the long time residents like to keep a low profile and I know I do for 1! Less attention the better. And open ANWR damn it. :joint:

NOKUY

Veteran
Old Man Time said:
And I can see a lot of those 'new age' folks turnin their happy asses around and high tailin' it first time it hits -20F.

Im not protecting turf....im not mean to tourists or anything....i just cant stand all the hoopla right now...its like an idiot rush to get here. I think the long time residents like to keep a low profile and I know I do for 1! Less attention the better. And open ANWR damn it. :joint:

I know that OMT isnt "exactly" protecting his turf. (in a way tho...)

... and long time AK residents have paid their dues....and expect the rest to as well. (trust me from experience the dues are not cheap or easy)...and anything worthy shoulden't be cheap or easy in my book.

...as said "new age" folks dont usually last in AK, because they bring weird values and ideals that oldtimers never lived by or understand or care to understand, and it's the oldtimers that made alaska what it is and deserve and generally get the respect.

and I'm w/ OMT about opening ANWR...so are most alaskans.
...it's the lower 48 enviro. retards who are keeping it closed.

Latest posts

Latest posts