What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

florigen mystery: hormone to initiate flowering

clearheaded

Well if your like me you probably thought why havent we seen people spray PGRs to initiate flowering and allow longer light periods for yeild or for outdoor var instead of having to go out and cover with dark plastic etc.

It apparently has been pretty illusive and no one really knew what caused plants to flower, hypothesis was a chemical named "florigen" that was just fictional.. they took sap from flowering plants and injected into non flowering plants and of course they began to flower.. that is until recently we no idea. 2005 science discovered it wasnt a hormone persay but large protein RNA combo.

why its interesting:

1. once know what it is can find genetic material that initiates flower and choose for var that produce more or quicker etc without growing out and guessing. or crisper that shit in there. ;)

2. poential replicate to initiate flower artificially without light change.

I have not seen experiments and may have to try it out. as larger proteins may not be as easy as foiler spray or root drench with flowering plant part tea. however, a flowering tea or sap from cannabis could easily be injected and harvested from autos or perhaps HOPS. I dont know if same genus would work or if same family may even work? or has to be same species.

its also possible to use some lyposomes or other techs to push the "florigen materials" through thinner tissues of the plant ie fresh meristem material with a folier or perhaps even a drench depending on molecular mechanics. injections seem better choice.

Also perhaps will help deduce why and females toss out pollen with light stress and or control that with injections for expensive crops ;)

tomatoes stronger fruit set or others.

The perhaps more likely scenario may be develop bio synthetics that act the same or determine mechanisms of what makes plant think there in the dark and determine wether its time to flower or not. or blocks it enough were begins to flower much earlier... or of course be able to trigger release of "florigen"instead of extracting it via sap.

money involved as could help bypass/speed up breeding and allow commerical crops be grown further north for example. I imagine something you could apply to crops in a season that had a super late spring would be of interest.

imagine someone may be on it already however something that isnt in normal breeding seed sale wheel house as relatively new. would love to hear from AG folks or chimera..

cheers guys feel free to post anything you find as know there is some good write ups about the whole "florigen" thing and RNA discovery etc.