What's new

Fem seeds: breeding a plant to itself.

Treevly

I read that creating female seeds (by means of silver) works, but only between 2 plants, and that it is not possible to use female pollen on the same plant. Yes?

I have a Chitral/Spitfire cross which seems to be displaying the best of both, and I don't want to lose it. Please advise. It is starting to flower.
Thank you.

chilliwilli

Waterboy
Depends on if there are some hermie tendencies in your plant. When u selfe a hermie than most if not all offsprings will be hermie. If your plant is sexual stable than the offspring should be female.
I would say take clones and try it if u like that plant.

Cvh

Supermod
Free ☕ 🦫
I have used female pollen on the same plant to great success. It's what's called a S1 a plant selfed to itself.

Last edited:

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
A selfed plant is no more likely to display hermaphrodite tendencies than any other plant.

To self a plant to itself the best way is to take as many clones as possible and reverse more than one of them to increase the odds of pollination.

If you only have 1 female it is possible to reverse it onto itself. You won't get many seeds but maybe enough to continue the line.

Remember that's how many many elites were born.

Treevly

A selfed plant is no more likely to display hermaphrodite tendencies than any other plant.

To self a plant to itself the best way is to take as many clones as possible and reverse more than one of them to increase the odds of pollination.

If you only have 1 female it is possible to reverse it onto itself. You won't get many seeds but maybe enough to continue the line.

Remember that's how many many elites were born.
Thanks! Why won't there be many seeds?

Treevly

Thanks for all those answers. The plant is all gurl, but strong as a bull. Is it too late in the year to be making clones? It is flowering, but nut much yet.
Thanks.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
You can clone at anytime, will just take longer to root the farther into flower you are.

20220316_173447.jpg
20220211_190852.jpg

Treevly

I'm wondering how much colloidal silver I will need to feminize half of one large plant - the other half being left to flower. And where do I get the stuff? I see it online for maybe $20 - $40 for 16 ounces or so - not cheap.

goingrey

I'm wondering how much colloidal silver I will need to feminize half of one large plant - the other half being left to flower. And where do I get the stuff? I see it online for maybe $20 - $40 for 16 ounces or so - not cheap.
You can make it yourself

NEED 4 SEED

Make yourself some STS (Silver Thiosulfate)! It's more reliable than colloidal silver from what I've heard. STS works in most cases and doesn't need to get sprayed daily like colloidal silver. There are some nice threads about STS on here. The process sounds more complex than it actually is.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Yet poisonous. I'm against the concept of anyone using the superior sts. I would much prefer to see people using the completely safe, inferior C.S.
The stuff you buy on Amazon needs to have its strength increased though. Do that by evaporating some of the water off, which increases the percentage of silver left in the solution.

I suspect your initial confusion was caused by the practice of taking two clones from the same plant, reversing one and applying it's pollen to the other. The pollen donor is removed so all seeds have the same amount of time to develop, removing the late immature seeds from the mix.
Hence the needing two plants mixup.

Treevly

Tanks for the clarification.

I've decided to do a clone or three. Since the plant has already flowered a little bit, should I cut those small flowers off before (or after, for that matter) cut the branches to clone?
Thanks again.

bibi40

Tanks for the clarification.

I've decided to do a clone or three. Since the plant has already flowered a little bit, should I cut those small flowers off before (or after, for that matter) cut the branches to clone?
Thanks again.
you can cut the little buds and just let little leaves ,
will help them to roots since they will need less power to continue flowering / reveg

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I read that creating female seeds (by means of silver) works, but only between 2 plants, and that it is not possible to use female pollen on the same plant. Yes?

I have a Chitral/Spitfire cross which seems to be displaying the best of both, and I don't want to lose it. Please advise. It is starting to flower.
Thank you.

Nope, You can use fem pollen on the same plant or any plant with no issues. Selfing a plant to make S1 seeds is the best way to get progeny similar/Identical to her. I make STS and fem seeds all the time. I can make thousands of seeds if I wanted. There is no limit on how many seeds you can make. I just made 500 Chimera S1 seeds from 1 plant. Any parts treated with STS are not for smoking. Its easier to just use a small plant and treat the whole thing. You can treat just 1 branch, Collect pollen, use what you need store the rest for later use. .

Last edited:

Tynehead Tom

I see a lot of people playing with CS and STS lately and they are seriously polluting the gene pool with hermie seeds.
It takes time to stress test a female to decide if it is a candidate for selfing or crossing to another female of a different line that has also been stress tested.
I've held one clone now for 3 years and have only this season decided it is a candidate. I subjected it to serious long term root bound condition for months, light leaks, spider mites , thrips, root aphids, extreme temp swings, months of barely adequate light...... she's been beaten battered worn and torn and has never popped a nanner and has always regained her vigor once conditions are returned to normal. In fact a mother I messed with all winter was a clone from July last year. She is now a beautiful scrog in my outdoor light dep.
That is the kind of plant you want to choose..... not just some random female
My post isn't meant as a rant nor do i meant to target the OP but guys..... there is so much seed out there. Why make S1 seeds with inferior plants. Put the time in to stress test that awesome girl you found and if she passes..... you will be greatly rewarded. If not..... you are gonna be greatly disappointed

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's made up nonsense that fem/S1 seeds do anything negative. Ive had some show intersex indoor but not outdoors. Stress testing will not show this. Ive been making Fem Seeds for over 13 years. Most of my best keepers were found in S1 or Fem seeds. The proof is in the pudding. If S1 seeds didn't produce quality or herm badly not many would make/grow them. S1 seeds are far from inferior in any way. S1 is different than if a plant hermied and made s1. Plants that do this easily are unstable and should be used. Making S1 seeds is one of our best tools to use to get to IBL. They are the best choice to find plants as close to the mom as you can get in seed form. The best breeders we know make s1 seeds.

If you are offering seeds for sale you must test a good lot 1st. If it's just for yourself just inspect your plants as they grow. I think inspecting should be part of your normal daily plant maintenance..There are different breeding methods breeders can resort to in order to stabilize their lines. However, selfing is the fastest way to achieve stability (Homozygosity). Every time you self a plant, its offspring becomes 50% more genetically stable. Each gene only has 2 different alleles (2 different versions). Therefore, when self-pollinating a plant, there aren’t many possible combinations thus making genetic stability increase quickly. Selfing can allow breeders to create an IBL (In-bred Line) quickly.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts