What's new

Effects of sunlight exposure on grapevine powdery mildew development

Storm Shadow

Veteran
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22881871

Phytopathology. 2012 Sep;102(9):857-66.
Effects of sunlight exposure on grapevine powdery mildew development.

Austin CN, Wilcox WF.
Abstract

ABSTRACT Natural and artificially induced shade increased grapevine powdery mildew (Erysiphe necator) severity in the vineyard, with foliar disease severity 49 to 75% higher relative to leaves in full sun, depending on the level of natural shading experienced and the individual experiment. Cluster disease severities increased by 20 to 40% relative to those on check vines when ultraviolet (UV) radiation was filtered from sunlight reaching vines in artificial shading experiments. Surface temperatures of leaves in full sunlight averaged 5 to 8°C higher than those in natural shade, and in one experiment, filtering 80% of all wavelengths of solar radiation, including longer wavelengths responsible for heating irradiated tissues, increased disease more than filtering UV alone. In controlled environment experiments, UV-B radiation reduced germination of E. necator conidia and inhibited both colony establishment (hyphal formation and elongation) and maturity (latent period). Inhibitory effects of UV-B radiation were significantly greater at 30°C than at 20 or 25°C. Thus, sunlight appears to inhibit powdery mildew development through at least two mechanisms, i.e., (i) UV radiation's damaging effects on exposed conidia and thalli of the pathogen; and (ii) elevating temperatures of irradiated tissues to a level supraoptimal or inhibitory for pathogen development. Furthermore, these effects are synergistic at temperatures near the upper threshold for disease development.

PMID:22881871[PubMed - in process]

MIway

Veteran
interesting how diff fungi have evolved... i just have heard that botrytis requires uv light to germinate... so if u use uv filters to end bud rot, could be increasing pm...

chief bigsmoke

greenmango found a cool recent study that I will have to fin that ties into this article as well.. it talks about simply raising the temp to rid pm from grapes. simply to above 33 degrees celsius for 3 days. so there is a temp and wavelength connnection

chief bigsmoke

instead of flooding your page with someone elses work I'll just link back to his page

HERE and HERE

comment 1 and the important comment 2 on temps

Interesting stuff! thanks GM

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
agreeed, pm can be controlled w environment, if u are against eagle20 in veg...