What's new

Edibles calculator?

Chi13

ICMag Donor
Someone close to me has developed a serious lung issue due to years of smoking cannabis mixed with tobacco. As I will likely be caring for her I have decided to quit even vaping (I just vape pure flower), so that she is not tempted. I don't smoke anymore and haven't done for decades. Oil infusion seems the most logical choice, as well as perhaps cobbs. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

I have been trying to find a good way to calculate making my own oils (prefer olive oil or MCT). I have made this in the past but I want to be more accurate regarding dose. Online calculators are frustrating because they all mention milligrams of THC but when it comes to doses they use vague terms such as "cup" or "teaspoon" of oil, rather than mls? My teaspoons vary quite a bit in mls so this is vague to me. I have syringes which measure in tenths of mls. Ideally I want a product that can get you high on 1 ml, or less, like the medical oils I can get, but as a grower I can make for next to nothing.

Anyone know how I can accurately calculate this? I can make a good guess as to the THC content of my flower, but the rest, not so sure?

I also seem to remember someone who made caps using just decarbed buds? Would love to hear about that. I thought you needed an fat or alcohol but if you can just ingest decarbed bud without it, I see no reason to use oil.

Greaselightning

Someone close to me has developed a serious lung issue due to years of smoking cannabis mixed with tobacco. As I will likely be caring for her I have decided to quit even vaping (I just vape pure flower), so that she is not tempted. I don't smoke anymore and haven't done for decades. Oil infusion seems the most logical choice, as well as perhaps cobbs. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

I have been trying to find a good way to calculate making my own oils (prefer olive oil or MCT). I have made this in the past but I want to be more accurate regarding dose. Online calculators are frustrating because they all mention milligrams of THC but when it comes to doses they use vague terms such as "cup" or "teaspoon" of oil, rather than mls? My teaspoons vary quite a bit in mls so this is vague to me. I have syringes which measure in tenths of mls. Ideally I want a product that can get you high on 1 ml, or less, like the medical oils I can get, but as a grower I can make for next to nothing.

Anyone know how I can accurately calculate this? I can make a good guess as to the THC content of my flower, but the rest, not so sure?

I also seem to remember someone who made caps using just decarbed buds? Would love to hear about that. I thought you needed an fat or alcohol but if you can just ingest decarbed bud without it, I see no reason to use oil.
if its decarb bud id say 0.5 is a decent mild dose

Ringodoggie

Premium user
The best way I have found to get accurate dosing is to use rosin in capsules.

I press rosin and figure that to be about 70%. From there I mix coconut oil and lecithin to make whatever dose I want. I use a couple different size caps but I can dose anywhere from 100mg (my lowest dose to get any effect) and about 300mg in the same size capsule.

I made some tiny 30mg caps a few weeks back.

The taste of most canna edibles makes me gag. That's what got me doing caps. You still get the cannabis burps but..... LOL

Good luck and prayers to your friend.

Chi13

ICMag Donor

I press rosin and figure that to be about 70%. From there I mix coconut oil and lecithin to make whatever dose I want. I use a couple different size caps but I can dose anywhere from 100mg (my lowest dose to get any effect) and about 300mg in the same size capsule.

The taste of most canna edibles makes me gag. That's what got me doing caps. You still get the cannabis burps but..... LOL

I've never produced rosin but will look into it. I have gel caps and use them for oil, but often they aren't quite potent enough, even though I don't need anywhere near 100 mg.

Thanks for the kind words. Appreciated.

MrHamilton

Veteran
I usually do ethanol extraction and reduce it down to the desired potency. Or totally evaporate it and then use that to infuse my oil of choice. i can control the strength much more accurately this way.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I press my rosin with a small DabPress unit. Then, I decarb it in a small glass beaker on a hotplate. Then, I add oil and lecithin as needed. Then, I use a blunt needle hypo to fill the caps.

The calculations for how much oil to make how many capsules is pretty simple.

chilliwilli

Waterboy
The guys in the malawi style cob curing thread chew their fermented buds and get amazing results. I tried to make some but only smoke tested them so far and got a way more potent smoke than the normal dried bud. I will try to chew some this weekend and report my experience back. If i understand it right the body needs to adjust a little to this methode so u need more material in the beginning. The amount of weed needed to get a potent and long lasting experience goes down the longer u use that methode. I think i have heard that also from other sublingual medications that the bioavailability goes up the longer u use it.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
Some great suggestions.
I need to try rosin but don't have a press. Is it worth trying a cheap hair straightener or is that just a waste of time? TBH, I don't really want to spend a few hundred on a press until I know what it produces and whether it suits.

I have made and tried a few Malawi cobs. They work pretty well chewed but I drifted away to vaping due to the immediacy of reaction. Kind of kicking myself now as I had some varieties that would be prime cobbing candidates but too late now as they are dry. I will definitely try these again.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
I read through some more online dosing calculators and think I understand what I am doing now as far as dosing goes.

One thing I read suggested you could just consume decarbed bud, so yesterday I decarbed 10 grams. I put 0.3 grams in a couple of capsules with a small amount of oil and took them about 4PM. An educated guess would be that I took about 25MG THC. Forgot about it and went for an afternoon walk and started to feel high. This progressed and I was surprisingly high a few hours later and took another couple of caps and slept really well. I used a Haze from OJDs recant Nev cross project and while the high had haze like qualities, it was a bit more sedative/body high than if I had vaped it. Still very nice though. Today I will up the dose to half a gram.

One thing that I remember about cobs is that the high you get from them is not sedating, but rather really captures that pure sativa high that I enjoy, whereas other methods seem to tone down the euphoric and increase the sedative effects.

Next step is rosin. I will try the hair straightener method before forking out for a rosin press (or making my own). I only grow for myself so am lucky I have a lot of buds from different varieties to play around with.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
With dosing that low you probably don't need rosin. I always used rosin because my tolerance is so high.

Plain old decarb'd pot with oil in caps is a great way... just like you did it.

For a little more kick, you might try decarb'd dry sift in caps with some oil. Dry sift is easy and cheap to make.

Any decent rosin press is a couple hundred bux, albeit, the hair straightener thing works great for experimenting. It was the way I did my first rosin press. :)

Again, good luck.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
I'm a relative lightweight compared to some. Probably vape about half a gram a day, but some days much more, depending what time I start.

I may not need rosin but still keen to try. I used to enjoy concentrates and would like the option of a more intense high.

• Love
Reactions: Gry

chilliwilli

Waterboy
With decarbed buds you will always get a portion of cbn, the longer the decarb the more sedative it will get. Imo with the cob making the buds get also decarbed but the temps are not high enough to turn the thc into cbn.

Reactions: Gry

chilliwilli

Waterboy
The problem with homemade edibles is that u always have to quess the amount of thc in the buds. Imo its only possible to say "not more thc than xy mg"
If u know a specific strain can give u 20% thc max if proper grown 0.1g of that strain can give u max. 20mg thc.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
The problem with homemade edibles is that u always have to quess the amount of thc in the buds. Imo its only possible to say "not more thc than xy mg"
If u know a specific strain can give u 20% thc max if proper grown 0.1g of that strain can give u max. 20mg thc.
I've been guessing THC by how I feel. 20% Is probably a fair estimate. I get medical which has THC content on the pack and all my home grown is pretty much ballpark with the medical, if not better.

I way overdosed on the weekend. Not unpleasant but I woke up 6AM Sunday still very much high, and still high at 10AM. Note to self, taking a cap late at night is not necessary.

blondie

Hey chi I had a Cobb idea a while ago for dry bud. Put your dry bud in a steamer, like dumpling steamer or similar. Don’t know if works or not but seems not much loss in trying. Good luck.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
Ok, just ate some decarbed bud, 0.3 gram, with a spoon of hummus and I have a speedy high! I am much higher than if I vaped the same amount, but I get varied responses with the highs so far. Just can't get this consistent yet. :shucks:
Can anyone think of a reason not to eat bud, rather than mixed in an oil?
As far as dose goes, I guess 20% THC, so 200MG/gram. 20MG in a tenth of a gram, so I had only maybe 7MG? Seems low.

Last edited:

sublingual

What is a Cannabis burp? I've been doing edibles for 10 years but have never really noticed that effect.

Latest posts

Latest posts