What's new

dual-sport motorcycles... i want one!

pineappaloupe

Ive never ridden a motorcycle in my life, but ever since seeing the wonders of forest service roads out west I want one. I would love to have a bike that i could easily ride 50 miles on highways and jump off onto some dirt/desert/logging roads. My ideal bike would be the KLR650, it hauls ass on the highways, can handle dirt, and you can pack it up with a tent, etc. Having never ridden... a 650 with a 35" seat height is insane.... probably lookin at riding a 250, maybe a 400 for a year until i get some skill.

Anyone have one of these?

Brett

I've logged many miles on logging roads on a Suzuki GS700, with street tires. The sand tore the shit out of the chain, but I probably should have oiled it once in a while. You might want to check out the DL650, I hear the seat is lower than most dual-sports and it is quite capable both on-and-off road. The BMW F650 is also really cool.

tngreen

Veteran
man when i was watching the moto x championships i thought the exact same thing! the bikes they were using looked awesome and could really take the corners on the concrete and dirt. maybe check out what these guys are using and see if they are street legal or can be made so. i would definitely stick with a 250 startin out, imo. 400s in the dirt could get a novice in trouble id imagine.

Brett

Depends on your size. If you're 5'2" and 98 pounds, then a 400 would be too much to start with. If you can put both feet flat on the ground you're fine, as long as you can pick the bike up when (not if!) you drop it.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Here's the real deal for on-off
roading imo, my back couldn't
handle offroading now though.......

BMW R1200GS

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
pineappaloupe said:
Ive never ridden a motorcycle in my life, but ever since seeing the wonders of forest service roads out west I want one. I would love to have a bike that i could easily ride 50 miles on highways and jump off onto some dirt/desert/logging roads. My ideal bike would be the KLR650, it hauls ass on the highways, can handle dirt, and you can pack it up with a tent, etc. Having never ridden... a 650 with a 35" seat height is insane.... probably lookin at riding a 250, maybe a 400 for a year until i get some skill.

Anyone have one of these?

Spot on observation, for reliability and build quality, Honda are the best jap brand, they very rarely go wrong. The Africa twin is great, but big, use if you do a lot of tarmac. The Transalp is very good for both, lighter than the AT, you really can ride to the south of france on it, then up the mountain..... or if you do not need to do that much road work, the XR Enduro [250, 400, 600, 650] bikes are true off roaders you can chuck up the tiniest trails that even the Transalp will shy away from.

SomeGuy

668, Neighbor of the Beast
Kinda off topic but:

Long Way Around

Internet Movie Database
Official Site

Actor Ewan McGregor and another guy traveled 20,000 miles on the kind of bikes you guys are chatting about. They started in in Europe somewhere, possibly Scotland, traveled through places like Kazakhstan, Mongolia and into Siberia, flew across to Alaska and then headed south and east and ended in New York.

Pretty epic trip and was well documented. I think it was Ewans BMW that made the trip with the least amount of breakdowns but don't quote me as its been awhile since I've seen it. Definitely worth a watch if you are into this type stuff.

Appears from the official site theres another trip being filmed but cant tell as the site keeps jamming on me. I hate overly complicated Flash sites. ..

pineappaloupe

A BMW would be nice... but since they are expensive to start with and probably to fix and get parts... I dont want a bike that i dont care about beating up a bit. shiny off machines are boring machines.

One thing i have to consider is it being street legal in CA. that means most of the enduro class bikes are a no go, without some decent add ons.

ive been thinking about this for awhile, and cant find any major stopping points. all i need is ~3k at most to get a starter bike and gear. i could probably do well with 2k, start on a 250 and learn. trade up, etc.

peace

entropical

Veteran
This one seems nice..:joint:

FS_450_e_re90_.jpg

FS_650e_oben.jpg

FS_650_C_pers.jpg

pineappaloupe

that is a sweet lookin bike. what kind is that? ktm?
gas tank looks like it might be small, but it could just be well hidden. the KLR 650 hold 6 gallons and you can barely tell.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
I've had several Hondas over the years. Loved them all (except the V65 Magna, bleech) and, at least here in the colonies, no matter how deep in the middle of nowhere you are, there's a Honda shop. Still, I kept letting them go for new ones while looking for ... something more.

Then I got a BMW. I've thrashed hell out of it for 18 years. I plan on keeping it till at least age 70, another 15 years, at which time it may be best to stop biking. BMW is more expensive getting in but, over the long haul, the cheapest ride I've owned.

zomg1

i cant recall what the names of the bikes where, but they where all 1970-1982 honda trail bikes... we had them up at our cabin up until about 5 or 6 years ago. these things would be fine at speeds of 120-140km/h and could get through the most unreal terrain.. we would ride them up 3000 vertical meters of tough mountain trails and back no problems, got to lots of amazing views and awesome fishing holes with em, they where the greatest!

ChestrCopperpot

You seek the Suzuki DR650. I have an 07 crossing 20k miles...no problems. The bike can tour, zip through canyons, go off road; it's extremely versatile: :rasta:

A

andrew415

You will have fun on anything. I'm personally looking into the Suzuki Supermoto bikes 400SM lately actually, but I live in an apartment for now and no where to park at night (bikes get ripped off like crazy)

entropical

Veteran
Tngreen is correct, pic above shows Husaberg Supermoto. Has a 10.5 liter tank, their Enduro model tank is 7.5 liters for the EU (around 2 gallons?) as of 2008. Bit small, perhaps in comparison to KLR or DR 650 bikes. But the Husabergs are pure racing bikes, and smaller tank means a lighter weight bike that handles better. It might just be worth the effort of filling it up more often. I do want one, but as with everything you should choose a bike after your own needs and preferences.

snadge

I have one of these with both wheels, supermoto and motocross, amazing bit of kit.

bad points 250km between expensive oil changes, trailer it, although it is road legal.

3425_4078_p1010010.jpg

Latest posts

Latest posts