What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Dry Ice Hash FTW!!

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
well said ^^^

hash is made different ways in different parts of the world.

LOL! I *totally* thought there was some sort of chemical conversion going on for "real" hash. It just looks manufactured. Is the dry ice method like becoming a raw foodist vs. eating fast food ("regular" hash)? The ice hash is mostly crystals, raw as in nature, light as air tasting, unrefined relatively/potentially pure extraction, and the other hash is dark brown and processed/goo-looking. Mind you I know nothing about hash, so this is a great example of what people think who don't have a clue ;) I could have been using a larger sized bag and not know it. Fortunately, I had thought it might be best to continue to let the stuff sit out and dry. What you start with might determine how long it needs to sit out. The trim I had had dried for almost 3 months, but then would you be adding moisture during the process? Is there condensation involved with dry ice or is the moisture in question strictly from the plant itself? That is a great/crucial tip about allowing it to dry a final time. Thanks Herborizer :)

A great tip that the instructor did give was that if you have the space to do it, process the trim in the vicinity of your plants. Maybe I should see if anyone knows why? (if it hasn't been mentioned here yet) ;)

zymos

Jammin'!
Veteran
Condensation comes from the air- I've noticed it even though the RH is pretty low where I live...

Herborizer

Veteran
Think cold beer mug. Notice that condensation? That's because the inside is colder than the outside (very simplified explanation).

With dry ice the inside is -104F vs whatever your room temp is. Yes! There will be condensation. :)

ok~ wasn't sure if co2 made it behave differently than frozen H20, now I see its exclusively a matter of temperature, not substance :) For anyone who hasn't done this yet, there's a little finesse at the end of shaking the bucket and tipping it back that helps to know about before you go for it. When you are done shaking, be sure to step back while tipping the bucket back up, it *will* without a doubt have collected condensation on the bottom end of your bucket. If you tip the bucket up to stop the shaking run and you tip it up over the glass (the natural tendency for everyone I watched try it) then the weight of the ice and material kicking back to the bottom of the bucket knocks off some ice crystals that will go in to your hash. If that happens, isolate the wet spots before collecting your dry sift.

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
has anyone tried to do this with the bags in the bucket?

basically like doing an h2o run, but no h2o. just drop pieces of dry ice in the top bag with the plant matter, stir it up, then shake the bags?

MaynardG_Krebs

Veteran

basically like doing an h2o run, but no h2o. just drop pieces of dry ice in the top bag with the plant matter, stir it up, then shake the bags?

I haven't, but it sounds like a damn good idea to me! I'm gonna do it that way next time..

mgk :tiphat:

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran

it works great!

fuck yea for dry ice hash! easiest, least messy extraction i've ever done!

perhaps not the purest extract, but the blonde stuff is just as good as the kief outta my grinder.

i am a happy convert!

so that's 1. my bags 2. my friend's mixed dried trim 3. with the dry ice after a bit of shaking 4. huge yeilds! 5. my fresh frozen trim from the outdoor widow 6. TONS MORE hash from the widow run. 7. my crappy cell phone close up of the first shake on the widow trim.

conclusions: not much came through the 90, but it was nice to have the 73 bag there so nothing was lost. the 25 is prob not necessary.

it was an absolute delight to pull out the 220 bag after a minute of shaking and find a sandy frosty wonderland waiting for me!!

i did two runs, one with my friend's mixed shake, and one with the fresh frozen trim from my big outdoor widow.

two pulls on each run. the blonder stuff is the first and the greener is the second, both from the 90 bag. the only thing from under the 90 bag is that little pile in picture 4.

Last edited:

henrydaniels

Has anyone tried running the kief from a dry ice run through butane? I feel like it would be the most efficent way of doing BHO since all of the trichomes are taken off by the CO2. This would get rid of the plant material that is left after the dry ice extraction.

C

Chamba

"220, 90 & 73 micron bags"

Most trichomes range in size from 60 ~ 105 micron, so using a 220 bag will maximize potential resin yield but also greatly increase the amount of broken up plant matter.

I'd suggest a combo of 160, 125 and 73 micron bags.....you will make two grades (what sits above the 73 and what passes through it) that will be cleaner than using the above 220, 90 and 73 combo. I'd also re-sift these two grades of resin through the 125 & 73 bags and you will end up with some decent quality resin.

an easier way would be to use 125 micron bag, do two runs of the same material, then re-sift each of the runs through the same bag (once it has been cleaned out).

also, when dry sifting with multiple bags, make sure there's an inch or more gap between each bag's mesh when fitting them in the bucket to allow a freer fall through.

C

Chamba

This would get rid of the plant material that is left after the dry ice extraction.

keep in mind that it is most often easier to not allow the plant matter to become broken up, pass through the meshes and mix in with the resin heads than it is to try and remove this contaminant afterwards.....so use a very gentle technique for the first run if you want blonde purity.

ideally, aim to remove about 50% of the plant material's resin on the first run and use a more aggressive/longer duration technique with the second shake of the material (this second run can be re-sifted or dissolve it in petrochemicals if that's your thing,,I'd suggest resifting or clean it up by using icewater and Bubble Bags)

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
yes, those are the sizes that came in my kit. based on your suggestions chamba i'm planning to get a 160 and a 125.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
holy shit... just did about 1/2lb of popcorn... filled 3 large shot glasses full of kief.. holy shit...

so much easier then ice and H2O... might never go back...

bs0

Did my first run, 8 zips of trimpro roter trim...
ended up with 79g of hash.

Used the 190 bag which was probably a little wide, and near the end of each run the color slowly started shifting a little greenish. I think I probably ended up with 10-15% non resin matter.

Amazing technique. Amazing.

(keep in mind I used almost all 'sugar trim' with almost no full leaves and no stems/sticks whatsoever)

3 shot glasses: That's typically going to equal 6 fluid ounces. I filled a 12 oz cup half way and it was about 10 grams. I got that much off of three dry ounces though, so his is probably better quality as that is all he claimed off of 1/2 lb of popcorn. Seems like there should have been more return? maybe just going for the gold :)