What's new

Does the amount of pistils to calyx have any significance?

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
slips said:
ahhh what have you guys been smokin? I have smoked blunts of just rolled up red hairs, and it definatly gets you very high.
I'd bet there were plenty of gland heads broken off and in with the hairs.... I have noticed that loose trich heads will readily stick onto the loose hairs...

TGT

Tom 'Green' Thumb
Veteran
I remember back in the old days pot was judged by the amount of red hairs it contained.lol - at least around here anyway.

I'm not sure if I believe the whole calyx size thing, as my Blueberry cut is the best I have smoked to date and has tiny calyx's and hardly any hairs. The hairs are no bigger than 3 mm and it makes it extremely hard to pollinate (I think that is the reason). It's the best I have smoked in ten years and in the bag looks like total bunk. I guess this could be an exception to the rule, but doesn't hold up with my freak of a clone.

TGT

Last edited:

- ezra -

.strangelove.
Veteran
Grat3fulh3ad said:
I know exactly what you're talking about, razer... I have several plants which will put out 4 or 6 pistil hairs from a single calyx, especially late in flower. The G33 mom in particular. About two weeks before finish all the newer calyx have these tufts of multi-pistils.

the multi pistil trait I believe is somewhat of a misnomer. Barring a rare mutation which is possible also, usually the multiple pistils are caused by stacked calyxes. Indicas are more prone to this trait. Basically within one calyx there is another or several growing within each other. the pistils penetrate the outer calyx giving the appearance of many pistils, although each calyx only has the standard 2 pistils.

The stacked calyx trait was apparently selected for by certain breeders because this leads to higher density and yield. In terms of potency, the surface area (compared to a bud of equal weight) is reduced, limiting trichome coverage in general terms.

Many pistils can also indicate a larger number of smaller calyxes rether than fewer large ones. Bud with a larger proportion of pistils, in theory should be generally less potent than bud of the same mass with fewer pistils (assuming this is the only variation) because pistils to not contain trichomes and thus do not contribute significantly to potency.

- Ez

Last edited:

skar

Hi all,

Here some pictures who show a Oasis (dp) plant with multi-pistils by calyx, i haven't count them, but they are more than five by calyx :

The others plants of the grow haven't do that, and the potency on the multi-pistils/calyx plant was equally the same than the others plants.

Just the pistils number who explosed...!

take care & have fun,

skar

Last edited:
Ive gathered the red hairs off some Superskunk with a tweezer and smoked a bowlful equivalent and the high was the same in potency and effects. It is hard to keep a fair judgement on a bowl of red hairs that looks really different, but for sure, there was not much difference.

Last edited:

Deft

Get two birds stoned at once
Veteran
Each calyx has two psitils right? I hope so because mine shot out a TON of pistils and is still going.

pistils to my knowledge come in pairs. each pair can yield a seed when pollinated.

a calyx with 6 pistils then can and has yielded healthy triplets which were quite obvious as they parted the calyx wide at it's opening. like a baseball glove trying to holding 3 balls.

there may be environmental/developmental responses that induce the behaviour, but it also seems to be genetic... as it does not directly relate to potency it tends to reflect breeding done with the eye, rather than the other senses. i try not to be prejudiced (racist? oh no!) but i tend to avoid it as 'commercial-product'.

some pot is bred for yield (weight by time), others by visual appeal(red hairs?), others still are bred for potency and effect and perhaps aromatics.

OG bub

~Cannabis-Resinous~
ICMag Donor
Veteran
zamalito said:
Though I'm not familiar with anything that has more or less than two pistils per calyx I prefer plants with less mass of pistils to mass of calyx. Aesthetically I've always liked big calyxes I think big calyxes burn better with less hairs, though a good cure will make a shoe smoke good.

amen.

there is one calyx per pistil ratio, n one only: 2 pistilate hairs per calyx.. foolproof n failsafe. everytime.
calyxes that yeild more than 1 set of pistills, will further be observed as the classic "foxtail".. just give'em time.

peace, bub.

OG bub

~Cannabis-Resinous~
ICMag Donor
Veteran
PS: pipeline, absolutely stunning pics! Mucho props and much K!

Peace, bub.

XyZ

Trichomnia
ICMag Donor
Veteran
High'folks

Skar, i had similar results from oasis years ago. some plants had 3 or more pistils per calyx and a few calyxes on the main stem with no hairs (oasis is a strange variety from dp ...btw the smoke was crap imo)

pipeline, the first & the last pics are great ...hehe and the others are also funky, lookin' more like a sea creature :D
i agree that pistils have no glandular trichomes ..but this doesn't mean that they have little or no thc. i have a SkunkXDC cross that is producing some fine secrets, coming out of the hairs, very sticky & hashy. sometimes i smoke only this pistils ..& they are nice potent. i tried this pistil stuff from many strains, some are better than others, depending on the variety. it's very hard to collect them mostly pure. however the trics on the calyx are definitely a lot more potent. i luv da smoke of tasty calyxes ..but it's also some work for a good joint with no leaves, stipules, parts of little stems. anyway the pistils are a part of the calyx so i smoke them together.

I would always select a female plant with tall trichomes rather than a sister with long pistils and less trics.

a few shots from my skunk/chunk...

macro pistils

macro calyx & trics

peace :joint:

Last edited:
XYZ you are spot on about the trichs on the calyx's being the most potent, even the calyxy that had carried a seed pod. They are almost like hash potent and greasy already, if compressed dry calyxes, would be similar to hash. So pistils are not trichome centers in themselves so do not determine potency of the overall plant. If anything, they don't have trichomes, so you might want less pistils and more calyxes. Someone might say that as each has two, more pistils means more calyxes, but that is something else entirely different.

If you had equal amounts of pure pistils vs calyxes or calyx shells, the calyx shells are going to get you the most blazed.

og bub: i'm confused, are you saying that calyx's only ever have two (or ONE?) pistil? or are you saying that it will always revert two a normal pair later on?

i dont know either to be true, rather i have experienced both to be false.
what were you saying? peace.

Safari

Great thread everyone!

Here is a problem I have that ties into this calyx and pistol discussion. A lot, if not most of the pot I grow finishes up looking like it is almost all red hairs/pistols. Because of this my yields are much lower than they should be. I mean sometimes we are talking about nugs with so many red hairs that all you can see are the hairs and the trimmed leaf, with the calyxes burried somewhere underneath. I know this is something that I am doing, but my plants look and grow very healthy, and there is absolutley nothing wrong with the potency. The only thing that seems to be effected is the yield. By the way, I grow organically in dirt with PBP and Earth Juice.

Now here's the part that ties into this discussion. I flower with with a 400MH. Now I do have a do have a sunagro gold MH bulb which is suppose to have more 40% more red spectrum than your typical MH, but I know that's not the same as HPS.

Could the MH be causing small catylxs and the abundance of red hairs????

If not the MH, then what else could it be?

Thanks!

eugenegreen

herbalist
Veteran
Safari said:
Great thread everyone!

Here is a problem I have that ties into this calyx and pistol discussion. A lot, if not most of the pot I grow finishes up looking like it is almost all red hairs/pistols. Because of this my yields are much lower than they should be. I mean sometimes we are talking about nugs with so many red hairs that all you can see are the hairs and the trimmed leaf, with the calyxes burried somewhere underneath. I know this is something that I am doing, but my plants look and grow very healthy, and there is absolutley nothing wrong with the potency. The only thing that seems to be effected is the yield. By the way, I grow organically in dirt with PBP and Earth Juice.

Now here's the part that ties into this discussion. I flower with with a 400MH. Now I do have a do have a sunagro gold MH bulb which is suppose to have more 40% more red spectrum than your typical MH, but I know that's not the same as HPS.

Could the MH be causing small catylxs and the abundance of red hairs????

If not the MH, then what else could it be?

Thanks!

You know, no knock on EJ (as I used it for many years) but I believe that their bloom (I'm assuming you use EJ bloom Safari?) formula contributes to waaaaaaay more prominent pistils is certain strains! I also agree with you about how they grow fine and healthy, and how the potency is al there (though this is more due to the individual cannabinoid profiles), it's just after harvest and cure, your left with muffy buds... When I switched my ferts, it seems that my problems went away... But all in all I believe that temps, pH, and range of nutrients (or type) influence many more aspects of the finished product... Tricky yet oh so interesting!

As to your question in regards to mh for flowering...I don't think this is the cause... Also I have flowered with mh's in the past and I only noticed lighter yields (more airy buds than hps) but more fragrant buds.... I asked around about this on OG back i the day, but no concrete answer... Maybe someone here will chime in... Great thread folks... JAH bless

Safari

Thanks for the reply eugenegreen. I do you us the EJ bloom exclusively in late flowering because it has zero Nitrogen. Maybe I will give something else a try. I really didn't think it was the MH, but I thought I would ask. The only other idea I have is I have very hard water with lots and lots of calcium. Do you think to much Calcium can contribute to smaller calyxes and lots of pistols???

58FLH

Safari,
The MH lights will give you less stretch but in my experiance fluffier buds than HPS. Maybe it's PH or water hardness that causes the difference. Personally I never totally cut out the N during flower. I've read on here that several people swear by RO water, Just a few suggestions.
peace and pot