What's new

Does the amount of pistils to calyx have any significance?

razerfish

I've always preferred plants with the most pistils per calyx, but don't know if there's any relation to potency and amount of pistils. Just seemed more gooey and pleasing to my eye.

Anyway, I have a few plants that are on the other end of that spectrum, with much fewer pistils per calyx than the others. And both of them happen to be elite/hyped strains of the moment, OG Kush and Sour Diesel, so my I'm curious my old observation/preference was wrong.

I'd say my OG Kush has much less pistils per calyx (or would it be called ovary?) than average, and the bigger fan leaves have little or no crystal. Because of the fewer pistils, you can see the calyxes clearly, instead of it being a big white blur. The calyxes are coated with trich, and because of the few pistils, it looks like a slightly grayish coat covering the flowers. The pistils are thick and for the most part straight. From a distance, the plant doesn't dazzle you because of the lack of white pistils everywhere, but up close it is intriguing. It's clearly different from my other plants. I had to move all the plants to a different room recently, then back to their original room, and I can identify every OG Kush and my single Sour D without looking at the tag. I couldn't do that with all my plants, though. The OG's do look different than all the others in my room. Not saying it's bad or good, just unique.

So do the amount of pistils have any bearing on potency? Yield? Anything?

I prefer fewer pistils in an asthetic sense. Many people are really turned off by "hairs", this is somewhat stupid, but I do think that more prominant calyx's give a more "dense" and potent look. Its the coat of trich's that many like, and while all buds have them, the pistols obscure them.

I definatly don't think pistols have anything to do with potency, but I have noticed that heavily 'pistoled' plants often are more vigorus, but this seems to be more related to the health of the plant. A healthier plant will make more hairs, but there is definatly variation between strains.

One of my most 'pistoled' plants, "Pagan" is of so-so quality, not the worst but toward the bottom of my list. It looks like an explosion, though.

campbeas

Now, I can't say this for absolute certainty, because I really don't know for sure.

But I don't believe that strains has any significant effect on the number of hairs. Sure individual strains will have slight variations as with all other traits of all other species. But I believe growing conditions have a greater effect on hair growth.

Light conditions can determine how the plant grows. Light spectrum can tell a plant to grow in different ways. For instance, right now I'm running an experiment. I grew 2 clones in my rubber maid grow box, I used LST and CFL's (cool white for veg and soft white for flower), hes using a large grow room with 3x1000w HPS in his flower room and 1x1000w in the veg room, with a 4 foot double fluro clone box.

We cut the clones from the same mother, planted them at the same time and we are using the same nut system. Right now, we are starting week 7 of flower, his plants have no bud, no crystal, and huge thick big hairs...and lots of them. My plants are tight, thick with bud, covered in sticky crystal, nice clear glands so far, but few hairs.

As far as I can tell, the red spectrum lights seem to be speeding up the flowering process, as my plants are almost finished and its only week 7, supposed to flower in 8-10. His plants seem to be progressing normally and would have about 3 weeks left. The speed at which your flowering progresses will certainly determine the number of hairs that have time to develop, as well as the spectrum of the light your using.

Last edited:

minds_I

Veteran
Hello all,

There is a good chance I am stoned here but are there not generally two pistils (hairs) to every calyx. And having more calyx is a good thing- thats the buds you want

So whats your question again???

minds_I

G

hair size is crucial small hairs small calyx. less surface area. bunch of tiny hairs and u got tinytiny calyx and low surface area. gland heads are generally smaller ive read.

seemed my indica hybrids were so small and compact with the buds they left no room for good sized glands.

you just cant refute those good sized sativa pistils. one inchers on the meristem.
calyx bowl. hairs were large, bracts apart! plenty of room on those bracts for large glands

there was a great thread on this a bit ago.. the fella was kind enough to scan the article. "Origins of the species" or soemthing................................

G

Does the amount of pistils to calyx have any significance?

The only thing that really has any real significance is what the flowers do for you, that comes from a harmony or terpenes and cannabinoids, not the amount of resin heads.

Peace, hhf

L

longshot

The only thing that really has any real significance is what the flowers do for you

Exactly!

Razerfish, it sounds like your talking about calyx size rather than pistil/calyx ratio... as stated earlier, most calyx have the standard two pistils.
I recall reading somewhere about a chap who tried smoking just pistils... He said they tasted rough and had no effect... therefore a plant that has small calyxes could have it's smoke considerably diluted by the pistil quantity, making it appear less potent.

Take care,
longshot

zamalito

Veteran
Though I'm not familiar with anything that has more or less than two pistils per calyx I prefer plants with less mass of pistils to mass of calyx. Aesthetically I've always liked big calyxes I think big calyxes burn better with less hairs, though a good cure will make a shoe smoke good.

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
I know exactly what you're talking about, razer... I have several plants which will put out 4 or 6 pistil hairs from a single calyx, especially late in flower. The G33 mom in particular. About two weeks before finish all the newer calyx have these tufts of multi-pistils.

I don't think there is a direct relation to potentcy, but definately a clue pointing to common genetic background(like plants which form a calyx or two at the piont where the fan leaf blades come together). However... The G33 is just about the most potent thing in the garden. So now it's making me wonder...

Excellent question...

fjällhöga

HazeAddictedFanatic
ICMag Donor
Veteran
the only thing i can think of would be a better possibility to catch airborne pollen with more pistils per calyx :chin:

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
fjällhöga said:
the only thing i can think of would be a better possibility to catch airborne pollen with more pistils per calyx :chin:
That was kind of the same hypothesis I have... An unpollenated sensimellia plant 'trying desperately' to catch some pollen as flower time dwindles away, perhaps akin to the survival mechanism that causes male flowers on some females late in flower...

G

just curious if any of you might be able to answer this..

10092P1070413_copy_1.JPG

notice the above bubba kush...

small/very few hairs... super chunky...looks like thick calyxes to me.... tonsssss of trichs..

do you think this is an inherited trait? or just the proper growing conditions?

i have no idea how you get buds lookin like that... nothing i've ever grown even comes close..

apologies for postin this pic so fuckin much, but i cant get over the beauty..

peace

bILL

G

I have the feeling that pistils themselves have little or no thc.... Comments????

References??? BTW Ive looked and cant find a good reference...

Last edited:

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
OOglebird said:
I have the feeling that pistils themselves have little or no thc.... Comments????

I agree. Do you see any glandular trichomes on the pistil surface in these scanning electron microscope pics?

G

ahhh what have you guys been smokin? I have smoked blunts of just rolled up red hairs, and it definatly gets you very high.

wick650

Great question!

IMHO the best flowers of O.G Kush, Bubba and Sour D that I'v smoked have had gigantic calyxs. I think that the genetics are obviously most responsible for this growth trait, but enviormental conditions can also make a dramatic effect... excess heat seems to negatively effect this in my experience.

I've also heard that growing under a dual spectrum of HPS and MH will promote larger calyx size with less pistils... can anyone please confirm this? :chin:

Last edited:

GZA

I used a 600 hps and a 400 mh in a bloom crop, then duel 600 hps in the next, the only difference I really noticed was better yeild duel 600. you have to rotate the flower pots too under the 600hps/400mh room or the plants on the mh side get a little airy in their bud structure. although I wasnt growing any kush or sour d in either of those crops