What's new

Does anybody have any suggestions for sciatic nerve pain?

buzzmobile

Veteran
My wife handled the nursing duties very well but the 1st night was interesting.
The first night is the worst night.

I get the steroid injections for low back pain but the injections doesn't help with the sciatica.
The injections are effective on controlling my sciatic pain. That is tough they don't help you. I know your pain.

moose eater

As the title states. I had a back injury a couple of years ago. And I have kind of suffered badly since. Recently (around 2 weeks ago) went to alton towers theme park. Managed to catch covid. After coughing and feeling shooting pains in my lower back and left leg for a while. Had it checked and was told its sciatica. For almost 3 weeks now I've been unable to function even as limited as I could. And it's only getting worse. Any suggestions very welcome as to try and get some relief/sleep would be absolutely awesome. It's even hard work hand watering plants.
My first assigned exercise for rehab after sciatica was to 'stand' on the floor on all 4's (knees and hands, like giving a kid a horseback ride).

Take the left knee and bring it up to the right side of your chest, and the right knee afterward to the left side of your chest.

There were others, but this was the initial exercise.

You can likely find other helpful exercises online, too. But as with ALL physical therapy rehab, if you don't do it regularly, then it's worth whatever effort you put into it.

I had a triple laminectomy 5.6 years ago by a GREAT neurosurgeon, and knew intuitively that it was a band aid, as parts wear out and break over time, and the more abused they are, the more they'll follow that course through life.

I'm now headed for some steroidal epidural injections, and perhaps some more spine surgery by way (most likely) of laminotomy or laminectomy on a couple more lumbar areas below the last surgery, albeit with a new surgeon, to allow me to second-guess someone's competence level all over again.

*If an exercise hurts, QUIT DOING IT. Your nerves, no matter how much of a pain in the ass, are your friends; they're here to tell you stuff. Like they are now.

Never go to a surgeon who doesn't walk on water. They can do more harm than your injury currently causes. A urology oncologist nearly killed me 2.75 years ago. and they're more or less legally insulated in numerous ways when it comes to answering for their bullshit.

Oh, AVOID chiropractors like the quackery plague they represent.

Good luck.

Last edited:

HarleyJammer

Veteran
Never go to a surgeon who doesn't walk on water. They can do more harm than your injury currently causes. A urology oncologist nearly killed me 2.75 years ago. and they're more or less legally insulated n numerous ways when it comes to answering for their bullshit.

I lucked out with the neurosurgeon I visited. In his words:

"Yes, your spine is F'd. No, I will not cut on you. Your case is way too dangerous. There is a high probability that you will become paralyzed from the waist down. If ANY surgeon offers to cut on you dont walk but run away".

moose eater

I lucked out with the neurosurgeon I visited. In his words:

"Yes, your spine is F'd. No, I will not cut on you. Your case is way too dangerous. There is a high probability that you will become paralyzed from the waist down. If ANY surgeon offers to cut on you dont walk but run away".
My spine was toasted from cervical down to horse's tail in the pelvis and all points between.

Don't go to a surgeon who views you as another piece of fillet mignon coming down the ever-moving conveyor belt of surgery opportunities, to collect the pittance of a whittled down in-network fees for procedure 'x'. Go to one who has a stellar reputation, who's known not to be all about cutting for $, and who is conservative with the knife, as yours was.

Older, but with a steady hand, and one who has stayed up on the newer science and studies. That's who one -must- look for if they wish for a positive outcome.

Ask around for other spine patients' opinions. People will often complain much more readily than they'll compliment a good job. Listen to those complaints.

Check medical malpractice cases under a Doc's name in the courts, if able.

When you see even one case wherein a Doc left a 'debris field' in a spine surgery, and especially if they contested a proven client's complaint, walk the fuck away. No, run.

And still, Murphy can fuck you in the end if it's your turn to draw the short straw. It happens.

HarleyJammer

Veteran
My spine was toasted from cervical down to horse's tail in the pelvis and all points between.

Don't go to a surgeon who views you as another piece of fillet mignon coming down the ever-moving conveyor belt of surgery opportunities, to collect the pittance of a whittled down in-network fees for procedure 'x'. Go to one who has a stellar reputation, who's known not to be all about cutting for $, and who is conservative with the knife, as yours was.

Older, but with a steady hand, and one who has stayed up on the newer science and studies. That's who one -must- look for if they wish for a positive outcome.

Ask around for other spine patients' opinions. People will often complain much more readily than they'll compliment a good job. Listen to those complaints.

Check medical malpractice cases under a Doc's name in the courts, if able.

When you see even one case wherein a Doc left a 'debris field' in a spine surgery, and especially if they contested a proven client's complaint, walk the fuck away. No, run.

And still, Murphy can fuck you in the end if it's your turn to draw the short straw. It happens.

This advice is pure gold.. Besides the severe lumbar stenosis there is cervical stenosis ... I take a big ol' honkin' pull on a doob and cough up a lung the cervical stenosis chokes the nerves in my arms and dang if they dont get painfully paralyzed for a few minutes.. oh yeah.. and bike wreck in '09 herniated L-3 to L-5.. bone spurs in cauda equina, too.. arthritic C-L.. Nerve impingement in shoulder.. tore up meniscus.. tore up left hand.. now, I need open heart.. I thank Jah for the gift of cannabis! :)

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
I use a pressure point with Velcro in the back of my knee which helps and take gabapentin for the pain in mylower back and buttocks. I can live with it

Cactus Squatter

I have recently added something to help with my sciatic issues that has made a massive improvement and it’s super simple.

I do Horse Pose 2-5 times a day as needed for around a minute each time. When I started I could barely squat down much. Now I can pop in and out of the full position without issue. My wife also started doing it last month and it has really helped her with her sciatica as well. Neither of us get any of the shooting pains or numbness anymore.

LostTribe

Premium user
I thought I responded earlier but dont see any on pg1 go to the chiropractor but I don't do the neck only the lower back and middle back. Only thing that has given me extended relief.