What's new
  • As of today ICMag has his own Discord server. In this Discord server you can chat, talk with eachother, listen to music, share stories and pictures...and much more. Join now and let's grow together! Join ICMag Discord here! More details in this thread here: here.
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Do you have any tricks to keep your cuttings green and healthy?

ice minus

I have hard water. Have you tried filtering the water to get rid of the calcium or magnesium from the source? Have you checked ppm? Your hard water is making it go up ,get rid of the solids and it will stay stable and your nutrient solution will work better too. I went from 750 ppm to 220 with just a single filter. I bought the big blue filters with the second having a smaller micron and went to 200 ppm,our municiple water is 140 ppm
Hi Dime! Thank you for visiting my thread!

So, I escalated my inquiries with my city all the way up to the head water engineer who provided with me with the latest water analysis and composition, and I posted the results here: (please click the thread quoted)

I decided after some consideration that I'm going to be a glutton for punishment and try to work WITH my water, instead of against it by using RO and stuff, because I've been told even by users I trust here and even Tad at KIS Organics & Black Swallow Living Soil that it's not worth giving up on, but just to try and get that pH down to 6.6 area and of course treat for chlorine and chloramines where possible because there's a lot of good naturally occuring minerals as well in there

So my current regiment is this:

I attach this to my garden hose and fill a large 5gal bucket with fresh water. PPMs around natural 325 or so

I add 0.25g of pure food grade absorbic acid to neutralize the chlorine and chloramines (calculator here: https://www.reddit.com/r/aquaponics/s/HipzOcfwus )

Stir every time I walk by it for a few days

Then when I transfer to a smaller container for watering purposes I add 1ml per litre of this

And then anything further I decide to add from here will get added and pH checked at which point it always registers between 7 and 8 lately

I the pH to 6.6 as per Tad's instructions before immediately watering

ice minus

By the way - just an update to the original pic, it's loving it's new soil

PXL_20241016_042516112.jpg

Huge difference already

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
I would cut off the damaged leaves and the parts of the other leaves that are damaged. Feed 500ppm veg/bloom food mixed 50/50 ph'd to 6.5.

In the future make sure the mother plant is green and growing well.

Water mother 20 minutes before taking cuttings.

When taking cuttings clip the larger leaves back halfway. Make sure to have at least one node under the medium.

Scour the stem, backside of node that's to be buried, from above the node down to the cut, just slightly until you see white.

Let cuttings hang out in a glass of pH 5.8 water over night.

Next day use rooting powder and insert clones into media.

Do not dome. If they begin to wilt just light spritz of water will do. This might need to be done a few times in the first day but only if they begin to wilt.

Lights need to be far away or turned down.

Keep rh 50% or higher.

A seedling heat mat helps greatly.

You should see roots in 4-10 days.