What's new

DIY free ac for grow rooms

Irie_Lion

Free up the Herbs....Let the Sacrament grow!
Veteran
Great tip and thread Floyd....and if u live in a area/region where it gets cold in the winter u can always keep a bottle or two in the garage or outside to freeze if u dont wanna use the fridge. good vibez

G

good drown

i still do not understand the guy saying it costs money to freeze bottles... if your freezer is running, like EVERYONES, then it seems like you are wasting money NOT freezing water.
good idea!

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
"Cool" idea bro, I used to use something similar to cool my rabbits outside in the summer. Also had a swamp cooler with a big ice chamber too, worked pretty decently for cooling my living room when it was 108*F outside... ;)

Grow on!

socbutter

:snowkiss:Thanks man:snowkiss:

Trying to cool with three gel packs and quickly dropped the temp by four degrees. Can't wait to test a full blown Styrofoam with water bottles.

:thanks:

Catharsis

I've thought about freezing one of the smaller coke bottles to cool and humidify my PC grow, I may give it a try. Thanks!

Catharsis

i still do not understand the guy saying it costs money to freeze bottles... if your freezer is running, like EVERYONES, then it seems like you are wasting money NOT freezing water.
good idea!

Yeah, you're definitely not going to see any change in your electric bill freezing a couple two liters every day. The freezer will run a bit more, but it should be negligible.

Good idea! DIY!

mg75

Get some dry ice and put it on the bottom. That way it's colder and you also get CO2.
Dry ice cost money though...

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
Ghetto-fabulous! Watch out for the cost of freezing those two liter bottles though. "Uh, I was gonna grow, but the cost of freezing water bottles was just too much!" LOL

OBK

I don't get the cost of ice thing either. Is it about a carbon footprint? Does anyone expect a huge spike in their electricity bill as a result of this method?

ddrew

Veteran
Get some dry ice and put it on the bottom. That way it's colder and you also get CO2.
Dry ice cost money though...
Where do you get it?
How long does it last?
And what is the cost?

I've seen this idea before, but I never thought of using dry ice.

actually, if a freezer is anything like a fridge, which it is, then adding bottles of water in there will only cause the freezer/fridge to exert itself one time. if bottles are constantly kept in the freezer/fridge, it actually helps & LOWERS your electricity bill. more space is filled within the area to which you are removing air to get colder. this increases efficiency & lowers temps. have you all never heard of storing water bottles in your fridge to lower the bill?? same concept....

L

LowGrow

yea lol it will actually lower your bill.. try freezing 1 package of food in an empty freezer and you will soon find out the freezer won't do its job effectively my dad fills every available space in the freezer with them because once they freeze they allow the freezer to not kick on as much afterwords. Just for the love of god don't put warm/hot water in the bottles thinking it freezes faster the laws of physics say that that is a load of horse dukey and anyone who actually claims to see it freeze faster is seeing 2 things 1) cold water contains dissolved solids as we all know but... in your hot water tank there is a de-ionizer that takes the minerals out of the water making its freezing temperature higher also a warm/hot solution's particles are moving faster causing a rapid loss of temperature in the air/water layer meaning the hot one will freeze over faster yes but freezing solid the less temperature will win unless you have a very different tds readings in both samples.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Where do you get it?
How long does it last?
And what is the cost?

The dry ice idea is excellent and should actually be fairly cheap, though not free.

You can get Dry-Ice at most grocery stores. :D It's a couple dollars a pound and can be stored in a container in a deep freezer for a while as well. :D SHould take dramatically less ice than wet ice. :D

Stay Safe! :tree:

Yeah that whole thing about freezing water will cost you more money, I think is bogus. I think it will drop your bill...Just like a few of you said said there's more cold stuff in there(holding in the cold) rather then just empty space that needs to be cooled. I think the guy who said that was mad he didn't come up with this idea~ LOL.. I'm gonna give err a try one of these days... THey all used to cal me mcguver cuz I could make a bong out of anything... ITS TIME TO PASS THE TORCH!!! GOOD IDEA BUD

G

good drown

maybe he means opening the freezer 2 times a day will make your freezer run more. LOL

G

good drown

Where do you get it?
How long does it last?
And what is the cost?

ive seen a huge warehouse that say DRY ICE. its in tampa though. would that stuff work, and its not toxic?
party stores also carry it, im not sure the cost, but i wonder if i get it from that warehouse

A

arrg

it does cost money to make ice otherwise ice machines would not have to be plugged in. if you put water in that needs to be frozen the compressor will work until it has removed the heat then it will stop. Having your freezer full will help keep the balance of temp steadier by keeping a nice thermal mass in there but the freezer absorbs heat slowly and it needs to be expelled. Putting water bottled in is like running a little heater in there. That water adds heat that needs to be removed by use of electricity.

sorry about rambling on I just got back from bowling. both kinds

C

cyberwax

that would be effective for around 30 mins tho :|

Get a small freezer, use copper tubing and a mesh screen then run your fan through that.

floydfanx6

the ice lasts 8-11 hours..so no,,and someone told me if i use antifreeze in the bottles,,it will stay colder the whole 12 hours :p just a thought

Latest posts

Latest posts