What's new

direct transplanting???

i am planning to start a couple of clones indoors and then transplanting outdoors... when transplanting outdooors i will just dig cup sized holes for the clones due to security issues will the clones be able to survive....

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
i am planning to start a couple of clones indoors and then transplanting outdoors... when transplanting outdooors i will just dig cup sized holes for the clones due to security issues will the clones be able to survive....

Probably not.

harden your clones off first by putting them in shade outdoors for a day and then giving them more and more sunlight until they can survive the full day in the sun without getting fried.

If the dirt you dig the cup sized hole in is good to excellent dirt you'll have a good to excellent harvest.

If your dirt sucks you'd be better off bringing in a few backpacks full of good compost and dirt to fill a good 5gal or bigger hole. That plant will need roots to survive well and grow fat and heavy.

I'd suggest doing a lot more reading in the outdoor grow forum before attempting this. Luckily, you have a few months ;)

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Been years since I grew in dirt but, I learned the hard way. Nothing less than 1 foot tall. Most critters don't like weed but, it takes 3-4 bites to figure it out. If the plants are only 1/2 bite each, an animal can eat your whole garden before they realize they don't like it and move on. One snail could wipe you out if you're small enough.

I would set up a makeshift greenhouse (check out the striking your seedlings at the patch thread sticky). Or you could pick up one of these....

clear-plastic-mini-greenhouse.jpg

Shade it till there about foot high and you should be fine after that. If the soil your planning on growing in isn't great just amend with some coir (one brick of coir will expand to roughly 9 litres) or some fox farms.

Last edited:

moneyshot

Not to hijack this tread but I had the same question. I was planning on starting my girls from seed in the attic for about a month, running 18/6 lighting schedule under CFLs and maybe a few tubes. From what I just read it seems that I should start them in the attic for about a month, then to the porch for a week or two, then to their final resting place in the woods? The woods I plan on growing in are decently shaded but still bright enough in there to make me squint. Will this be bright enough for them or should I shimmy up some trees and get trimming? Cheers and thanks in advance!

Moneyshot

Wolff

If you veg the clones indoors for atleast 3-4 weeks the roots will be substantial enough that they won't need to be hardened off. Just make sure to get them out before rain. That way they aren't exposed to the direct sunlight and have a little time to adjust and get needed moisture.