What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Dehumidifiers.Who can suggest a reliable brand/model??

Slim Pickens

Veteran
Can anyone recommend a reliable humidifier that will last more than 2 years?I have read that these modern models have dependability issues?I'm not talking about industrial models.I am looking for a 65-70 pint machine for the house.I live in a particularly humid area,and could use a reliable machine.

Anybody care to share their success stories...if any?

I also live in a humid climate.
Here are some of the brands of dehumidifier I have used in the past.

Maytag
Whirlpool
LG from Homedepot
Frigidare from Lowes

Frigidare have been the most durable brand from the above list.
I had a 70 pint Frigidare that lasted six plus years before I gave it to a friend.
My current units are 40 and 70 pints Frigidare. Both have been operating for 3 plus years.
When it comes to dehumidifier Frigidare is my favorite brand.

Lammy

The GE's i have seem to have a way better and design then the LG that I purchased a couple years ago.
I could be off base, maybe something changed in my room. but the GE doesn't seem to be as good as the LG. the humidity gets up to 65 percent and lights out. I never had a problem like that with the LG. but it could just be circumstances I'll try hooking them both up.

Slim Pickens

Veteran
I also live in a humid climate.
Here are some of the brands of dehumidifier I have used in the past.

Maytag
Whirlpool
LG from Homedepot
Frigidare from Lowes

Frigidare have been the most durable brand from the above list.
I had a 70 pint Frigidare that lasted six plus years before I gave it to a friend.
My current units are 40 and 70 pints Frigidare. Both have been operating for 3 plus years.
When it comes to dehumidifier Frigidare is my favorite brand.

Frigidaire is one that I have been looking at..

Frigidaire FAD704DWD Energy Star 70-pint Dehumidifier

Like I said in the above post,Frigidaire is one I am considering,and that particular model is pretty highly rated.Also considering Soleus and Danby.

The GE's i have seem to have a way better and design then the LG that I purchased a couple years ago.
I could be off base, maybe something changed in my room. but the GE doesn't seem to be as good as the LG. the humidity gets up to 65 percent and lights out. I never had a problem like that with the LG. but it could just be circumstances I'll try hooking them both up.

Yeah.I9 haven't really investigated GE.I have also read quite a few reports saying that the LG is quite loud. :)

If you can spend the grand get a Santa Fe.

Thanks for suggesting the Santa Fe Third Coast.I have been looking at the
Santa Fe Compact 2.The size works for me...but the problem is that I have read some reports detailing early failure.I really wanted to like this one,but to be honest,spending a grand ought to get you a solid dependable unit.If a Santa Fe only lasts 2 years,I could buy 3-4 Frigidaire or Soleus de-hueys.No doubt there are quite a few people who have good luck with the Santa Fe's,but if it were to fail on me,I would be sunk as I am in Asia and returning it for warranty would not be possible.

There are actually units available here.I've never heard of any of them,and they start at $2000.Pretty sure they are all from China and are horribly over priced.

Lammy

my lg started rattling one day and it is louder than hell but only because of the rattle.
who sells the Frigidaire I'm considering getting a fourth dehumidifier.

D

Dooby Dooby Do

Frigidaire 70 pint models have worked well for me, can get them at Lowe's hardware

P

Puscifer

I had the exact same thing happen on my LG, the electronics just stopped working. The buttons wouldn't do anything.

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran
Thanks for suggesting the Santa Fe Third Coast.I have been looking at the
Santa Fe Compact 2.
The size works for me...but the problem is that I have read some reports detailing early failure.I really wanted to like this one,but to be honest,spending a grand ought to get you a solid dependable unit.If a Santa Fe only lasts 2 years,I could buy 3-4 Frigidaire or Soleus de-hueys.No doubt there are quite a few people who have good luck with the Santa Fe's,but if it were to fail on me,I would be sunk as I am in Asia and returning it for warranty would not be possible.

No problem, that's the one I went with.
picture.php

I'm curious what kind of reports you were hearing. Something specific or just general problems?

I absolutely love mine and although I've only had it a few months I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another one.

Slim Pickens

Veteran
I'm curious what kind of reports you were hearing. Something specific or just general problems?

I absolutely love mine and although I've only had it a few months I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another one.

Well 3C,I need to apologize.I normally bookmark reference sites when I am researching purchases.For whatever reason,I didn't bookmark that review site,and I have looked and looked for it.I really thought it was Amazon,but there are only 3 reviews,and all of them positive.I did find a neg review on another site:

http://www.allergybuyersclub.com/sa...ace-dehumidifiers.html?itemId#customerreviews

but the review did not state what part failed.It seems the other review site mentioned early compressor failure,but I am not totally sure and I would hate to steer anyone wrong.

I really think I will try a Frigidaire,mainly due to finances.I will then revisit the issue in a year or so,maybe my fortunes will have reversed by then :).

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran
Cool, if a retail unit can do the job there is no reason to go pro.

It's when the 70 can't do th e job that you need to spend.