What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Deep Chunk

greencalyx

Premium user
Veteran
I think I'll just play it safe. 12/12 from seed and not take any cuttings. Just to make sure they all fit in the tent. I'll have plenty of seeds to look for clones later

Super excited tho, and I'll definitely take a bunch of pictures to share here

kamyo

Veteran
I am thinking of popping these deep chunk beans soon. In the next week or so.

Do you think it'd be possible to open pollinate all 21 at once in a 5x5 tent? They seem to be pretty small.

Would I have to 12/12 from seed? Or do you think it would be possible to get some clones from each without risking them to get too large for the space?
I flower in a 4x4 and usually cram quite a few in there. I usually start in small cups for the first couple of weeks of veg, then into 1/2 gallon square pots. You can top once they're in the 1/2 gallons to be sure you'll get some branches for cuttings. Then into 1.5-2 gallons after they've filled up the 1/2 gallon. I'll sometimes transplant as I'm putting them into flower in case I don't have room for the bigger pots in veg.

You should have no problem fitting 25 2 gallons pots in a 5x5. Square pots are helpful since there's no wasted space. Might want to put the ones showing female preflowers in there first, then put the others (presumably male) a week later to give the girls a head start. By the time they're at week 3-4, pollen should be flying.

Starting with 12/12 will keep the DC really small. Mine finished at about one foot tall. I intentionally keep them that small for seed runs,. These are from an open pollination with 18 females and 3 males.
Deep Chunk pollinated 3.jpg

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah you can see the indica influence in those super wide flower bract leaves. The entire plant shouts indica! Thanks for the tip! Glad you were able to preserve the line.
I usually pollinate using my 2 best males to maintain my Sativa Candy Chunk cv,. (cultivar), but on the preservation run this year I think I will leave all the DC males if possible to capture the diversity of the line an get the best reproduction I can do.

Getting more DC stock in today from a friend! Going to give them plenty of room and try to see what we come up with. Hoping for one of these super resinous champion plants Tom talked about that are 1/100!

Looking forward to some of these crosses to other indica lines as well such as the PTK IBL, PCK IBL, Sterling Skunk IBL Uzbekistani IBL. I am cautious however and have specific goals for stablility, so I don't dilute the line and lose a path forward. If we get some really good individuals I may go back next year may do specific crosses, and chase those later. But for right now, it has to be a focus on DC IBL preservation and Sativa Candy Chunk cv hybridization to move forward with the cultivar with more Deep Chunk influence.

Tom Hill gave us fair warning that breeding is the reason we have such bad cannabis, and also why we have such good cannabis. Sometimes these lines don't make it. He said everything is going downhill. All you can do is slow it down. :smoke:

full

Last edited:

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Boom, just dropped in the mailbox! Going to have a proper size DC reproduction now! Some DC x Blueberry! Sour Bubble to cross back in! Got a DC/ Hindu kush hybrid!!!! :smoke: :smoke:

Be sure to check out the Uzbekistani IBL guys. I like what I see, they say its 98% indica. La Mano Negra used to grow them and post on here. Its a collaborative project with CSI and Cannabiogen. I think it used to be called Taskenetti. Big wide leafed impressive indicas!

full

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice shot of the resin bomb! Every flower bract leaf margin has a thick covering of trichomes. Compact growth with short internodes, Purple petioles and leaf veination.

Plant is showing its character there! Thanks for sharing!

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Awesome plant paperclip! Still has the signature Deep Chunk purple center where the leaflets connect. If you look close enough, from my experience where the leaflets connect and its purple, it looks like a little crown with the veins showing through. Deep Chunk is king! Medicine looks wonderful! :smoke:

Looks like that plant wasn't completely Deep Chunk dominant. What are you finding with the progeny? How are their traits segregating?

PaperClip

Thanks @pipeline . I've made a few Monkey Balls outcrosses now using males and selected females. This one unfortunately, I only produced a few seeds I have a lot more of the Kandahar Afghan x Monkey Balls I plan to pop this year.

I ran this cut here for a couple years and it was a favorite. She had more sweet grape like smells and taste to her compared to the Monkey Balls. None of the musky smells. Growth was much faster in veg.

IBLs are the only things the stack up usually and don't get completely dominated.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
kamyo, any other female DC's or is that the only one?

Looks like some good quality resin Deep chunk produces. The proof is in the pudding. What is that kief like?:smoke:

kamyo

Veteran
kamyo, any other female DC's or is that the only one?

Looks like some good quality resin Deep chunk produces. The proof is in the pudding. What is that kief like?:smoke:
There were a few more, but they all seemed to be less remarkable than this girl. Still, they're all seeded anyway for some backup stock. I'll probably prioritize the seeds from this girl when I grow them out this year.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Kamyo what is the background on the DC you are growing, where did the seed you planted come from?

Please show us the other phenotypes you are seeing. It will help us know what types of phenotypes to expect from the line. Looking for background info to become more familiar with the line. Thanks

greencalyx--Looking forward to watching those grow, sounds like they are the 21 ct pack DC from Humboldt CSI. What type of growing conditions will the be in, soil, lights, space, etc?

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
No kidding thats sweet! You are at the right place! You joined in 2009 and haven't ever grown, I'm sorry, glad you are getting to finally grow some herb!

DC should be pretty easy to grow and uniform. Sounds like a good plan. Make sure to consider ventilation and have big enough containers. I'm not an indoor grower, wish I was though.