What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Decent Old School Genetics Recommendations?

Shamanbud

As an aside I had some Critical+. (Skunk#1 X BigBud) and it was like going few rounds with Merryweather for about an hour. Shows that not only THC that can box your brain 🧠

davidoliver

If you are interested in learning about old-school genetics, there are several classic books and papers that are still relevant and informative today. Here are a few recommendations:

1. "Mendel's Principles of Heredity" by William Bateson: This book is a collection of papers and lectures by Bateson, who coined the term "genetics" and was one of the pioneers of the field. It includes a reprint of Gregor Mendel's original paper on the laws of inheritance.
  2. "The Genetical Theory of Natural Selection" by R.A. Fisher: This influential book, published in 1930, introduced many of the concepts and methods that are still used in population genetics today. It covers topics such as genetic drift, selection, and the distribution of genetic variation in populations.
  3. "The Structure of Scientific Revolutions" by Thomas Kuhn: Although not strictly a genetics book, Kuhn's classic work on the philosophy of science is a must-read for anyone interested in the history and development of scientific ideas. It explains how scientific paradigms shift over time, and how new ideas can overthrow established theories.
  4. "Genetics and the Origin of Species" by Theodosius Dobzhansky: This book, first published in 1937, argues that genetic variation is the basis for evolution, and presents evidence from both field and laboratory studies to support this view. It was one of the first books to bridge the gap between genetics and evolutionary biology.
  5. "An Introduction to Genetic Analysis" by Anthony J.F. Griffiths et al.: This classic textbook, first published in 1979, is still widely used in genetics courses today. It covers all the basics of classical genetics, molecular genetics, and genomics, and is a great resource for students and researchers alike.

survivors101

If I want no BS 1980s era genetics where would I go (UK/EUROPE). Thinking Colombian, Thai, Skunk #1 that kind of thing. Old timer stuff. I have easy access to European seed sellers.

I see so many takes on strains that I don't know who to believe has close genetics or indeed if that's even possible...
Hi man, Garden of green have a very nice rich tasting Nicole kush which i personally love and it's a new grower friendly example of a nice productive old skool indica , bit smelly though ;)

Chuck Jägerschnitzel

They are an offshoot of one of my links above 😀🙏

Does anyone know of any strains at the 8% mark to hone in on. I am legit medical for mood daytime. Be nice to have a low strengther as modern so strong.

For weaker smoke with 1980s style, I suggest partially seeded, untrimmed bud. That was most of what I got during the 80s. Even back then, whenever I managed to score nicely grown, nicely handled sinsemilla, it was a major step up in potency from the regular stuff.
In this century, with lab testing available, I've noticed that even a small amount of CBD in the cannabinoid mix really takes the edge off the high a lot. I tend to avoid those ones most of the time, so when I do smoke them the difference is very noticeable, I presume I have a very high THC tolerance and a very low CBD tolerance and thats what makes it so different for me when CBD is in the mix.

goingrey

For weaker smoke with 1980s style, I suggest partially seeded, untrimmed bud. That was most of what I got during the 80s. Even back then, whenever I managed to score nicely grown, nicely handled sinsemilla, it was a major step up in potency from the regular stuff.
In this century, with lab testing available, I've noticed that even a small amount of CBD in the cannabinoid mix really takes the edge off the high a lot. I tend to avoid those ones most of the time, so when I do smoke them the difference is very noticeable, I presume I have a very high THC tolerance and a very low CBD tolerance and thats what makes it so different for me when CBD is in the mix.
Seeded bud grown well from potent genetics is still very potent.

Going for a strain with a good amount of the cannabinoids being CBD, or just one that is low on THC, would be the better option. Or just smaller doses..

entropical

Veteran
Well I paid £200 and now not getting response to emails. Hope everything ok!
People waiting months to hear back from Snowhigh. You know he is not well, right? If you are in a hurry well, I would look for an alternative elsewhere and send him a reminder once in a while.

Happy Times

Flying Dutchmen? I recall them having some old-school skunk-based lines. Not sure of recent quality or if it’s downhill as of late like some of the other Dutch banks.

And I just ran across this, some nice looking stuff in there: https://scottfamily.farm/

cola

Not sure you have considerered it (perhaps yes) but many of the landraces are a little gangly and unless you have your grow dialed in may be frustratingly long. Perhaps something like Deep Chunk, which has old school in it too.

cola

I would also consider checking some of the larger available sites, and the reviews. A good starting place perhaps. GL

Latest posts

Latest posts