What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Dark v Red LEDs

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
When I was using an 8 bulb HOT5, I used mostly red tubes during flower. Back then I was not using a dark period (3-5 days)

My Amare Technologies Solar Spec LEDs have separate switch to add reds during flower

My question is: Once the plant is within 5 days of harvesting, would using only the reds be better than going dark?

And if not, why?

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I asked Amare who said as long as the plants have light they will continue to develop, whereas dark tells the plant it's time to die, expediting finishing

So thinking to stay red a couple days, then go dark

vostok

Veteran
back in the 80's I used T8's on a bank of 8, still use them for germing and early veg, and I too wondered this back then ...so after a trial, I settled on staying on red and giving them a shot of UV, a+b, for the last week b4 harvest ..the UV(wear eye protection) gives them a real and noticeable blast ...they luv it ...lol

My question is: Once the plant is within 5 days of harvesting, would using only the reds be better than going dark? = Any light is better than NO light

And if not, why?= Plants ain't dumb they know they are about to expire, with or without seed, so why be cruel for some greedy trick, these plants have been with you for some time ..be nice give them what they want ...light!

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
Red light (visible) or far-red light (infra-red)?
The former is perceived as light by plants whereas the latter indicates shadow.

I don't know what you, PetFlora, exactly mean with using red during the last 5 days?? An extended dark period is helpful but I would only do that for one day or so.

BTW do you really need to WRITE IN BIG BOLD BLUE LETTERS

with

double

spacing?

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I pulled the plug and went dark today

The 2 lowest buds that I took a pic of last week have been drying in a thick paper bag.

View attachment 310480

I just hit a small sample
about 10 minutes ago. It's steadily creeping up.

May have to delay my motorcycle ride.