What's new

Collecting, Storing, and Mailing Pollen

MicroRoy

If I have wheat flour and corn starch (aka corn flower). The corn starch being a lot finer. Might the corn starch be better?

Not for storage but to aid in spreading the pollen.

Just not wanting to assume.

Centrum

In search of Genetics
Veteran
If you wanted to store pollen in dram glass jars, could you cut open the silica packs and drop one or two rocks into vial and then place pollen in jar ?
1517-category.jpg

Arf

If you wanted to store pollen in dram glass jars, could you cut open the silica packs and drop one or two rocks into vial and then place pollen in jar ? View Image

I think the silica in the packs in electronic gear is white. The blue stuff is better, I think it's coated with cobalt chloride which does the blue/pink thing. Probably a lot on eBay.

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
Veteran
Quick question for anybody/everybody:

Is there anyway to persuade a female/herm clone or seedling to show male (truly male)? On the other side, I know you can apply various hormones/treatments to reverse a herm/feminize a plant, or create pollen which will create feminized seeds (silver/ethylene/ethephon)...

But what if I want to guarantee a male for good breeding stock? Do I just have to pop enough seeds to engage the probability that one of them will be male?

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Quick question for anybody/everybody:

Is there anyway to persuade a female/herm clone or seedling to show male (truly male)? On the other side, I know you can apply various hormones/treatments to reverse a herm/feminize a plant, or create pollen which will create feminized seeds (silver/ethylene/ethephon)...

But what if I want to guarantee a male for good breeding stock? Do I just have to pop enough seeds to engage the probability that one of them will be male?

Keep popping those beans.
If you want a solid af male, stress test them bad boys.

Elixir

Thanks for the very useful and informative tips. I've just purchased some 1.5ml centrifugal tubes and a nice vial holder case.
If I wanted to try adding flour or cornstarch to the pollen, how do I go about doing it? How much to add?

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I wouldn't add any filler to the pollen at all.
The one time I did, the pollen didn't do its job very well.

And definitely don't store it mixed if you do plan on using a filler.

Mimadman

I used to number one make sure it's dry....hang drying male over newspaper. Once enough pollen is collected, use tweezers to make sure it's clean of any veg material. Important. Papers pulls moisture out of it. Important. ..then don't handle with hands dump into dry sterile containers. Best to have as many samples as possible incase one spoils. Then freeze or store n cool dry place. Good luck

conradino23

I have some in the freezer in a vial with white rice. I'm gonna check if it's still viable this season. What's the viability of a frozen pollen in general?

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
I'm about to try freezing some pollen and dry ice freezing some of the same.

After all... Why are we here if not to learn?

Stay tuned Mouseketeers...

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
Collected some Black Willie pollen this week. I put it in paper packets with dessicant and it's now in a jar in the fridge. Will a regular self defrosting fridge freezer damage seeds or pollen? Seems to me better to play it safe and simply store in the fridge rather than risk ruining my careful work.

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Collected some Black Willie pollen this week. I put it in paper packets with dessicant and it's now in a jar in the fridge. Will a regular self defrosting fridge freezer damage seeds or pollen? Seems to me better to play it safe and simply store in the fridge rather than risk ruining my careful work.

I believe so. This was discussed here before.

dc2569

Stress test

Stress test

Keep popping those beans.
If you want a solid af male, stress test them bad boys.

Hes not joking about stress change from natural to led light cut and hack on it change lighting schedules heat stress root bound all. make sure u have a keeper not a hermi