What's new

cohiba "mom" of white widow?

Castroman

sowed these this afternoon. they all had tap roots shooting out pretty quick. this is going to be a test run just to check them out, see how they grow, ect. Very blessed to have been passed these.

I wonder if those beans are at all related to the strain I sent to various growers in North America 13 years ago, and if they are, how the intervening crosses and/or phenotype selection have impacted high and growing habit.

Cannavore

Veteran
I wonder if those beans are at all related to the strain I sent to various growers in North America 13 years ago, and if they are, how the intervening crosses and/or phenotype selection have impacted high and growing habit.

well they were given to me by someone that is posting in this thread. i don't really know anything more than that and what's already posted. we shall see!

idiit

Veteran
the cohiba gator pheno with the xnld ( leaf pics. posted earier) profile is the most exciting puro sativa I've ever worked with for commercial grows; she looks to be extremely frosty, fairly fast for a sativa. I've grown quite a few landrace sativas and this pheno in early indoor test appraisals is heads and shoulders above everything else. I've got 5 outdoors in different locations so I should get some harvest and pics.

I've now run 50+ castroman cohiba/Paraguay cohiba seedlings and none had that xnld ( extreme narrow leaf) profile so she is recessive. I have some indoors that i'm turning female pollen with colloidal silver so I gots some female s1's.

I am so enthusiastic it's hard to convey. I am going to make some hybrids for commercial grows next year. the proof in my projects is "dope on the table". the proof is in the puddin'.

I strongly suspect that many awesome phenos are still waiting to be found in the cm cohiba/Paraguay cohiba seed stock including castroman's extreme duration and potency of the electric high pheno he remembers.

the other very exciting strain i'm working is the sativa phenos from no mercy's santa maria. it looks from early tests that the sativa santa maria might have an "entourage effect" also refered to as synergistic effect. think of it as a magnifier or turbo booster. the sativa dom santa maria is the most exciting strain I've worked with for personal smoke strains. got senegal haze/sm, Malawi gold soa/sm and a sm female/aww male outdoors this year for an epic ( I hope) personal smoke harvest; not to mention cobbing some up as well. :)

santa maria sativa was very good puro but her promise lies in her promising but not conclusively demonstrated synergistic effects now referred to in the medical cannabis community as the "entourage effect".

"In fact, while THC has gotten most of the attention, studies suggest many of the compounds in marijuana work together to produce a synergy of effects. This is known as the ‘entourage effect.’"
http://www.leafscience.com/2014/09/11/medical-marijuana-entourage-effect/

the reason I bring up santa maria on this cohiba thread is they share something in common; no one really knows the genetic history of either strain. lots of hard core doubters on the santa maria but in my runs santa maria sativa from no mercy is excellent puro and might be "grail" in hybrids. more testing to be done.

you gots to love it in strain "cage fighting; two strains enter, one strain leaves" when hunting for the very best genetic breeders and some almost complete unknowns/underdogs are winning the competition.

I love my job. :)

Castroman

The Cohiba gator pheno with the xnld (leaf pics. posted earier) profile is the most exciting puro sativa I've ever worked with for commercial grows; she looks to be extremely frosty, fairly fast for a sativa. I've grown quite a few landrace sativas and this pheno in early indoor test appraisals is heads and shoulders above everything else.

I am so enthusiastic it's hard to convey. I am going to make some hybrids for commercial grows next year. The proof in my projects is "dope on the table". The proof is in the puddin'.

Agree that the proof is always in the pudding. Have you had a chance to have the final product tested by high tolerance friends? I find sincere praise from experienced third party blind testers who received unhyped samples with no strain names is the best corroboration of quality.

idiit

Veteran
^^ this fall she will be sampled plenty by many and i'll know if my early appraisal is accurate.

commercial strains in my area are about bag appeal. the gator cohiba indoors was bright green and very frosty.

until a person actually deals with the buying public they will not get it in my opinion. it's close to stark raving mad. potency is not that big a deal as long as it is potent enough. it's about how it looks, smells and tastes. then potency and type of high come into play. it pisses me off. it's their money and I've been taught the above lesson plenty of times. look at glue, cookies, wifi, alien, etc. these are the superstars along with chem and kush as long time favorites.

ppl want bright green frosty indica dom nugs or even better some pretty colors like purple. they want indica dom nugs unless something truly gorgeous comes thru; then indica dom is not that big a deal.

cohiba had sativa type nugs but she had "it" bag appeal wise. just gorgeous.

the aloha white widow translates hard chunky nugs into some hybrids I've made. gator cohba/aww is being made as soon as I have some fem gator cohiba pollen. I gots an aww sweet thang leaning clone just waiting to get hit. gator cohiba might well be a superstar on her own but when I rave about a landrace sativa i'm thinking hybrid potential. same goes for the sativa dom santa maria. it's breeding potential; ie hybrids that look so promising.

the gator pheno of cohiba was drop dead gorgeous in my small indoor early test run. I have run a lot and this was the best so far for bag appeal sativas. it was also very potent but not incredibly potent. it tasted real good but not incredibly real good. it smelled real good but not incredibly real good.

the best example might be women. some just have "it" appeal wise. they got "it". "it" is impossible to describe sometimes.

when I post about commercial strains many ppl here at ic don't understand the commercial market imo. the landrace guys including me are about the quality of the high imo and i'm in the gang big time. me too, but the commercial market pays the bills.

dadio58

hello i was a member of the swc (and cw forum) back in the times .searching for cohiba info i stumbled across this thread. i have 7 of the original 10 cohiba sativa seeds castroman kindly gifted me then (thanks again cm). i don't remember many details from the 3 i grew other than i liked it alot and i seem to remember it having the the medium thin sativa leaves as opposed to the very thin ala nevilles haze or thai etc. i don't know if you remember but any info about the seeds would be appreciated (not cohiba in general ,what was sent me specifically) i actually have about 50-60 different packs of seeds in the fridge from that time period acquired mostly thru swc,cbay and heavens stairway(?). i've fortunately been able to get about 70-100% germ rate from my older seeds. i just started 10 apollo13 trip x apollo11 (cbay) and they all sprouted within 48 hrs. i was happily surprised.

Castroman

Hello I was a member of the SWC (and CW forum) back in the times, searching for Cohiba info I stumbled across this thread. I have 7 of the original 10 cohiba sativa seeds Castroman kindly gifted me then (thanks again CM). I don't remember many details from the 3 I grew other than I liked it alot and I seem to remember it having the the medium thin sativa leaves as opposed to the very thin ala Nevilles Haze or Thai etc. I don't know if you remember, but any info about the seeds would be appreciated (not Cohiba in general, what was sent me specifically)

Great to see you again Dadio! You made my day with your message and photo of the vintage Cohiba pack, it's a relic from the good ol' times. Those beans are the earlier version, a blend of the very best sativas I collected from bagseed in the early 80s, with an Indica strain that washed up ashore in cans and was added to help improve bud structure and shorten both plant height and flowering time.

Several years of careful pheno selection resulted in a very well behaved plant suited for both indoor and outdoor cultivation. It grows like a compact christmas tree with medium-width leaves, very good branching and excellent bud development.

Once flowering is induced, you will see three distinct phenos:

1) Half the females will be of the Colombian pheno, medium-dense flowers grow on typical lancet-looking sativa colas, smooth smoke with spicy-earthy flavor that gives a very strong up, racy, classic sativa electric feeling that lasts quite a while. In some prized phenos the high is ultra speedy and of ridiculously long duration.

2) The Paraguay appears 25% of the time and is the best yielding pheno with attractive fat, round colas that look nearly white with crystals. Tastes like flowery tobacco, provides a strong head high with body cues that goes on for several hours.

3) The Brazilian pheno is the earliest and produces shiny, dense "disco ball" buds with excellent crystal development. Taste is creamy and hash-like, the effect unusual in that it first relaxes you and then gives you a jolt of long lasting energy. It's like a crazy personal trainer that makes you relax in a jacuzzi and then tells you to go run a marathon. This also shows up 25% of the time.

Hope this helps.

ctg

Veteran
Dadio, I was admin at the ssc maybe after you were already there, good to see old members surfacing and still holding these heirloom seed. Make more of the Cohiba if you get a chance it's a gem
-ct-

Last edited:

idiit

Veteran
Dadio, I was admin at the ssc maybe after you were already there, good to see old members surfacing and that they still holding these heirloom seed. Make more of the Cohiba if you get a chance it's a gem
-ct-
pretty cool to see so many reunions here. i'm the noob on my own thread it seems. :)

cohiba will be preserved and made available.

the seed stock castroman made in batch 2 if I'm getting this correct are the ones target rich for the extreme duration, up speedy cerebral high with little body/stone/warmer effects.

sounds a little like that real deal '70's Durban poison that sent heads to the hospital in Australia:

Old post from 20'Thai on O.G forums.

Purple Durban

"In Ozz in the late 70's they imported some 100%Sativa Purple durbanPoison from Africa that made everyone see things that weren't there when they first smoked it. Many people had to be rushed to hospital and shot up with a high dose of pure Valium to calm them down. Once you were use to visual and audible effects of that batch of durban, it would completely annihilate even the most hardened of smokers for over 8hours...and I mean smokers that could bong 7-8grammes of the finest imported Thai Sticks per day without consequence, that were sold 'before and at the same time' this PurpleDPoison came into Ozz. The PurpleDPoison had some seeds in it, and I grew it for 4 years straight. The offspring for ONLY the first generation/year were purple and thereafter reverted back to the standard green. But none of us could make it as potent as the original batch was that came in from Africa. Close - but no cigar, if you know what I mean. The farmer in charge of that grow in Africa was a Cultivar-supreme at the true sense of the word as the dope was not laced with anything I assure you - it was straight from the BlackMans'Hand who harvested it out of an organic field of soil inside some jungle. One smoke, and you knew 'that' immediatly, as it tasted as smooth and as sweet as could be. After some people were hospitalised(for a day) as a result of it, authorities here obtained samples of it and thoroughly tested it to find that it had nothing else but an extordinary amount of Cannabinoidal resins in it - higher than anything else they'd ever tested before. No chemical additives whatsoever. The Media here at the time nicknamed it 'Purple Poison'.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=5191789&highlight=purple+durban#post5191789 rinse

i'm unabashedly a little bit of a fanciful romantic in search of the grail genetics.

dadio58

thanks cm i'll now know what to look for. sorry to read of your rough patch. relationships can be marvelous or devastating.i've had both.
hope thing are better now.

hi ctg i indeed remember you , much belated thanks for the duties you performed at swc. no small thing. hope you're well.

thanks idiit for starting this thread. it resurrected some pleasant memories. due to limited space i won't be trying the cohiba s for a couple months. i'll try to check in here with a note on how they do. at the least i'll should be able to make more seeds to work with.btw i really enjoyed the durban poison story. a good durban is one of my favorites.

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
Hands down, one of my all time favorite threads! Thanks to idiit for starting it and thanks to all you 'old heads' who have contributed so much info.

I hope everyones preservation projects are bountiful - cause Id love a chance to grow some of these forgotten gems in the future.

Cannavore

Veteran
2 of 5 up and running with a 3rd looking like it'll be joining the party

njCqxbY.jpg

Buddle

Veteran
Cohiba sounds WONDERFUL!!! I was recently gifted some f2's. I look forward to them to say the least..Many thanks to all that have made this a great thread.
Big...those SSC Lot 69's sound great!!

clips

hello i was a member of the swc (and cw forum) back in the times .searching for cohiba info i stumbled across this thread. i have 7 of the original 10 cohiba sativa seeds castroman kindly gifted me then (thanks again cm). i don't remember many details from the 3 i grew other than i liked it alot and i seem to remember it having the the medium thin sativa leaves as opposed to the very thin ala nevilles haze or thai etc. i don't know if you remember but any info about the seeds would be appreciated (not cohiba in general ,what was sent me specifically) i actually have about 50-60 different packs of seeds in the fridge from that time period acquired mostly thru swc,cbay and heavens stairway(?). i've fortunately been able to get about 70-100% germ rate from my older seeds. i just started 10 apollo13 trip x apollo11 (cbay) and they all sprouted within 48 hrs. i was happily surprised.

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=67912&pictureid=1613513&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]

good to see ya Dadio nice to see ya have the blackwidow x g13 , good stock to work with hope ya make plenty of seeds with that one .

Cannavore

Veteran
here are the two expressions showing on the few Cohiba I popped. they are now outside sharing a 15gal geopot. slow start, had some neglect early in their lives =(

nMByOFM.jpg

f5g5br6.jpg

B

blue_tick

cannavore

love the looks of those. how long before the hours get short outside in your area. thinking of poppin a few myself

PEACE

Cannavore

Veteran
cannavore

love the looks of those. how long before the hours get short outside in your area. thinking of poppin a few myself

PEACE

not much longer. first week of Oct usually brings the low temps, heavy rains, and mold so they'll probably go until then finished or not.
these won't be very big and i popped them just to give a test run.. my outdoor plants got destroyed and i had the space so i figured why not lol. they're getting bigger every time i go check on them. nice vigor and no real stem rub smells last i checked either.

B

blue_tick

thanks cannavore for the responce

i am curious to see how big they get. if they have a good stretch i might do a couple if not i will wait till next season and give them a full run. i could probably do some in the winter here so i will check in if you plan to keep posting there progress

thanks

PEACE

Arf

Can someone summarize the relationship of Cohiba to White Widow for me? Is it definitely one of the parents, or was that just speculative?