What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

CO2- toxic?

josepslo

Hello,

last 7 rounds have trouble with yellowing during flowering time. All big leaves yellowing. What is the possibility that it causes too much CO2? I had 1000ppm-1200ppm set now. Can be problem with small light? Or low temperature?

My box: 4x8 or 120x240
My light: mars hydro fce 4800, have 3 this light in box so this is 1350watt

My Box for vegetation also looks very bad

Sorry for bad English.

Dime

CO2 is to be used when everything else is at it's max potential,if the rest f your grow isn't then you are wasting it. The yellow could be anything, from watering ,to PH ,your plants aren't taking up nutrients. Check every variable.JMO

Tynehead Tom

C02 is not a toxic gas.... it is an inert gas.
I suppose the climate crisis morons are teaching the impressionable young minds that C02 is poisoning the planet when the exact opposite is true.

In the grow room you have to drive your plants to thier peak potential before additional C02 will do anything but because you are supplying the C02 rich environment.... they are becoming either food starved or light starved.
This is a situation where you will probably benefit from not supplementing C02 at all.
Try cutting the C02 in half to 600ppm for the set up you are using. Thier demands for light and food will diminish some. I don't supplement C02 and I am quite happy with my yields. If I were to supplement C02 I would be increasing the lighting in my 2000W HID room to 3000W , feeding a lot more and also keeping day time temps in the mid to high 80's (F)

but without those parameters being increased, the extra C02 will do nothing but make the plants hungry all the time.

josepslo

CO2 is to be used when everything else is at it's max potential,if the rest f your grow isn't then you are wasting it. The yellow could be anything, from watering ,to PH ,your plants aren't taking up nutrients. Check every variable.JMO

i checked all this problem, i water with RO with a half dose of nutrient. Run off PH is ok. The only thing about what is the problem to have all time higher EC run off. But I don't know what it causes this.

I thought it could be a problem with CO2 and would lockout nutrient?

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Co2 merely increases your photosynthetic rate when you increase it. Having higher levels of co2 should not be harmful in any scenario. Of all parameters you can control, co2 is one of the most overlooked. Had you not had co2 id bet this most recent run would have been far worse. Co2 at 1200ppm is optimal, we are at saturation here before the photosynthetic rate stays about the same.

Fwiw, if you are consistently getting high runoff readings that would indicate a few possible issues. If your feed is too high, your accumulating because your plants are locked out because of ph or overwatering/lack of oxygen in the root zone, or potential equipment calibrations being off. Many other things including environment that could impact transpiration and plant health.

We could use a lot more info of your parameters.

Temperature:
Humidity:
Media:
Irrigation frequency:
Feed strength EC:

Thats a start.

Tynehead Tom

I ran C02 rooms all thru the 90's and early 2000's.
Helped lots of growers install and troubleshoot C02 supplemented gardens as recently as last december.
The only issue that grower failed to address was meeting the nutritional needs of the plants. He was erring on the side of caution and not pushing the nutrient program I put him on and was at about 60% to put a number on it. Bumping feeds to match all the other parameters was the "cure"
Without pushing all other parameters in the garden, additional C02 will be of little benefit.
As metabolic rate rises from pushing light, feed and temperature, the plants can then begin processing higher rates of C02.
Pushing C02 without addressing these parameters will lead to issues. I've seen it countless times and not saying that to argue. Just experience. Not trying to be the smartest man in the room either so am open to other theories.

CharlesU Farley

C02 is not a toxic gas.... it is an inert gas.
Non-toxic? Inert? Take it from a Registered Respiratory Therapist, that is _incorrect_.

Google the term, CO2 narcosis.

See this video:

"At low concentrations, gaseous carbon dioxide appears to have little toxicological effect. At higher concentrations it leads to an increased respiratory rate, tachycardia, cardiac arrhythmias and impaired consciousness. Concentrations >10% may cause convulsions, coma and death."

Source:

CO2 is most assuredly _not_ an inert gas.

Tynehead Tom

we call it an inert gas in the steel trades..... like argon..... both inert gasses for shielding arc weld from oxygen.
I suppose I was incorrect in saying it isn't "toxic" but I view toxic as something poisonous like say sulphur dioxide or carbon monoxide.
Your quote there says it is used as an "inerting agent"...... so yes, it is an inert gas.
breathing acceptable levels of C02 is not toxic to humans and even in a grow room of 1200 ppm..... you aren't going to die from taking a breath or even being in the room for a few awhile. You may feel light headed after a bit and it is certainly not safe for pets like cats. Having a nap in there wouldn't be adviseable but you will die from lack of oxygen, not an actual C02 poisoning like say with Carbon Monoxide..... that shit will kill you quick even with enough oxygen as it "is" a poison. If C02 was a toxic substance in the true sense of the word, it would not be injected into billions of soft drinks every day now would it?
Anyhow..... lets not muddy the thread up here.
Lets talk about driving a room with C02 without raising the intensity of lights, temperature and nutrients.
I have working knowledge and a plethora of advanced grow books(not just for weed) that dive deeply into this subject. Just trying to help

I Care

water more often or with more volume so your inputs and outputs match

this is a big beautiful leaf that i almost lost to a heavy feeding and water neglect. after attempts to correct the EC of the nutrient solution absorbed into the soil. the EC rose even higher to above 4.0 and the pH followed that trend an alarming 7.5

I have corrected the issue as best as can after working for days with the plant. now there’s evidence of deficiency due to pH on the OGfan leaves and tip burn from the EC on the sugar leaves
IMG_1005.jpeg

this negligence has inspired me to build a reservoir which I use for hand watering to flood and catch the solution. then I restore to a proper EC and pH level. so I’m not 100% run off to waste with high ec solution in soil. there’s water that is mostly ready for the days watering do the garden with a little room for inputs and adjustment.

if you don’t have totally functioning drainage tray you may want to run off to waste a large amount of your nutrient solution, up to 5 times the volume of the substrate in your tub or sink

hopefully this helps you somehow. it’s how I’ve dealt with the plant problem I created for myself while I was slacking on the garden last week

edit: ohh and one more thing, higher light causes higher transpiration, a rise the soil EC between waterings. requires more frequent watering, lower light or lower strength solution to prevent the rise

Last edited:

josepslo

We could use a lot more info of your parameters.

Temperature:
Humidity:
Media:
Irrigation frequency:
Feed strength EC:

Thats a start.

Temperature: 27C-30C at night 21C
Humidity: 50%-60%
Media: 40% canna professional mix, 40% coco, 20% perlite
Irrigation frequency: before start yelowing 4 days, now 6 days
Feed strength EC: i feed with PLAGRON, calmag, terra bloom and sugar royal EC: 0,8-0,9

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This feed strength is inadequate. Especially if you are getting those lights up to full strength. .8-.9 makes sense in the clone stage, but in veg i would be feeding closer to 1.5-2.0, a lot of your media is low or no CEC. So id feed close to 6.0-6.1 and measure runoff with a goal of 5.8-5.7. In flower with your LEDs and co2 at 1200ppm you can easily feed 2.5-3.0EC. I dont go much higher than 2.5-2.7 but 3.0 is not out of question at all, many go higher. But i have had several tissue tests and find ourselves in range at 2.5-2.7 Ec during early flower and easing off to about 2.0-1.8 in late flower. In soil you can probably lower those numbers by a good amount, maybe closer to 2.2-2.5 in early flower and down to 2.0-1.8 at the end. No matter what i think you are underfeeding by a lot. Id try to get your temps down in flower too, early flower 27C is ok but id try to get down to like 23C by the end. RH should also be a bit higher in the beginning and in veg, closer to 65-70%. Towards the end i shoot for steadily bumping down to eventually a low of 50% but cool temps. This keeps VPD in check and rewards you the highest quality. Hope this helps. Depending on how quickly the soil is drying out more frequent feeds may be needed as well especially towards the middle and end of flower.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
You never say what your ph is adjusted to before watering in. You won't learn anything from runoff. Get the inputs correct and the runoff will be a moot point.

You are using RO water, are you supplementing cal/mag and at want ec?

Your nutrients need to be stronger running CO2. I match my co2 to my ppm for the most part. Led lights make the plant require more nutrients than hid lighting, as does co2. Yellowing of leaves is a nutrient deficiency and is a result of not enough food or ph being off.

josepslo

I have watered all rounds with a bigger EC (early flower) 1,7-1,9 EC and have still problem with yellowing. It was always a problem at the time that he was too big run off EC like 3. I water 2x a week, I was advised at the store to give half a dose from the recommended schedule. Since I thought it was accumulating too much nutrients, I lowered the dose. But stil if i water with 0,8 ec and ph 6.3 comes out much bigger EC. Ph is all time same.

Not sure why pot growers are so mystified by carbon/nitrogen ratios.

If you have more carbon you need more nitrogen. If you have more nitrogen you need more carbon. Composters know this why don't crop producers. Metabolism is metabolism. Chemistry is chemistry. Chemistry is the language of the Universe, not math or love or cosmic whale farts.

water more often or with more volume so your inputs and outputs match

this is a big beautiful leaf that i almost lost to a heavy feeding and water neglect. after attempts to correct the EC of the nutrient solution absorbed into the soil. the EC rose even higher to above 4.0 and the pH followed that trend an alarming 7.5

I have corrected the issue as best as can after working for days with the plant. now there’s evidence of deficiency due to pH on the OGfan leaves and tip burn from the EC on the sugar leaves View attachment 19060231

this negligence has inspired me to build a reservoir which I use for hand watering to flood and catch the solution. then I restore to a proper EC and pH level. so I’m not 100% run off to waste with high ec solution in soil. there’s water that is mostly ready for the days watering do the garden with a little room for inputs and adjustment.

if you don’t have totally functioning drainage tray you may want to run off to waste a large amount of your nutrient solution, up to 5 times the volume of the substrate in your tub or sink

hopefully this helps you somehow. it’s how I’ve dealt with the plant problem I created for myself while I was slacking on the garden last week

edit: ohh and one more thing, higher light causes higher transpiration, a rise the soil EC between waterings. requires more frequent watering, lower light or lower strength solution to prevent the rise

EC speak, the mark of the true icmag bro scientist.

EC.. The nutrient of pot growers..

EC, it's got what plants crave!

How many ECs per Marijuana?

How did pot growers completely forget the #1 property of Cannabis?

That it can't handle too many ECs per Marijuana? Is that it, I can't remember?

Or maybe that EC isn't a thing?..

Cannabis absorbs dozens of metals metaloids and non metals in various oxidation states. I haven't found one called EC yet.

Your plant got burned by Manganese. Not "EC" whatever the hell that is.

You see, in the 1920s they realized Cannabis hyper accumulated Mn unless you feed a constant supply of Calcium, Magnesium and Iron. And then over the next 100 years, everyone forgot that, and blames the most common issue with Cannabis, Manganese toxicity, on just about everything else including this mythical EC demon.

Will pot growers ever embrace the 20th century? All the good work was done during that era. Downhill ever since.

Can we ban members who use the term "EC" to represent dozens of unique elements? You're too old to be talking like a preteen.

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

If you have more carbon you need more nitrogen. If you have more nitrogen you need more carbon. Composters know this why don't crop producers. Metabolism is metabolism. Chemistry is chemistry. Chemistry is the language of the Universe, not math or love or cosmic whale farts.

Cannabis absorbs dozens of metals metaloids and non metals in various oxidation states. I haven't found one called EC yet.

You see, in the 1920s they realized Cannabis hyper accumulated Mn unless you feed a constant supply of Calcium, Magnesium and Iron. And then over the next 100 years, everyone forgot that, and blames the most common issue with Cannabis, Manganese toxicity, on just about everything else including this mythical EC demon.

Will pot growers ever embrace the 20th century? All the good work was done during that era. Downhill ever since.

Can we ban members who use the term "EC" to represent dozens of unique elements? You're too old to be talking like a preteen.
EC is not bro science. Bugbee uses it to measure feed strength like most scientists as well as big Ag. Its one of the main parameters in agriculture. How do you measure your feed strength? Why is your method superior? Also, tissue testing does not support your manganese toxicity theory. Any proof of that? You called out broscience and then commented a ton of broscience yourself. Youre brand new here, yet talk down to everyone, not sure thats going to get you taken seriously. There are macros and micros and all of them need to be in range. Having balanced feed and measuring how strong it is matters. EC is a better measurement than ppm for our purposes.

Last edited:

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran

This is such a wad. What did EC do to you homie? Is it a bad breakup? Did EC run off with PPM? 😱

josepslo

new pics

Attachments

• DSCN4095.JPG
    DSCN4095.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 24
  • DSCN4094.JPG
    DSCN4094.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 25
  • DSCN4089.JPG
    DSCN4089.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 22
  • DSCN4088.JPG
    DSCN4088.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 22
  • DSCN4087.JPG
    DSCN4087.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 18
  • DSCN4086.JPG
    DSCN4086.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 24
  • DSCN4085.JPG
    DSCN4085.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 24
  • DSCN4084.JPG
    DSCN4084.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
  • DSCN4083.JPG
    DSCN4083.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 21
  • DSCN4082.JPG
    DSCN4082.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 21

I Care

Did you start those cuttings? Cause if somehow you’re doing this and it works it’s kind of awesome and I actually admire yiur current success through there struggles.

I think you need to turn up the dimmer on your lights and increase your EC and give them a good drench To see if they’ll pop back to green. You have irrigation where is your run off?

it might not be too late to increase EC and drench them with more water and more light.

This happened to me and this is the plant already in recovery with light at 80%. I eventually increased the light down to maybe 28cm at 100% because at 20cm I got leaves curling. same plant same set up
IMG_1010.jpeg
IMG_0130.jpeg

the plant on the right never got burned

this is the story