What's new

Cloning with JJScorpio

Zendo

ok what do you pot heads think about this.rappid rooters for medium,no water in the bottom of your cloner,no nuets whatsoever just cloaning jell,water and mist with just a molasses or honey mix?

I would stick to the OP's original post..spray clones, and inside of dome with plain water until you have roots, then transplant...

Pretty simple...:dunno: around 90% success for me, your results may vary..

You say no 'nutes' what so ever, but, if you are spraying with water that has unsulphered blackstrap molasses in it, you are feeding it 'nutes'..
The brand I have has a NPK rating of 1-0-5, so for sure not 'nute' free.

HTH

ElsLifted

Hey guys, I took some clones a couple days back and they've since been on 18/6. My question is can i safely change the lights to 24/0 because at night the get pretty cold. In the AM the soil is cold to the touch. Is this a good idea ?

High Country

Give me a Kenworth truck, an 18 speed box and I'll
Veteran
OK, so I took some clones a while back and got something like 20% success rate this time I wanna do it right.

I read this and other threads on the subject and 4 days ago I took some cuttings and put them under the humidity dome for 1 day. I think keeping them there last time (and heating mat off) is how I got them like this:

These were taken a couple of weeks ago, some of them still no roots and most are dying out.

So this new batch is now 4 days old and I got my first clone showing signs of yellowing

(see top right corner of pic)

What should I do to keep them green and healthy? Dome is off but mat is on keeping them at 25ºC approx. Rockwool is somewhat damp and I have not sprinkled the leaves yet.

Thanks for the help :)

Those clones look pretty big and could be suffering transpiration loss. I tend to do mine a lot smaller, trim well and get very good results.

kstampy

What should I do to keep them green and healthy? Dome is off but mat is on keeping them at 25ºC approx. Rockwool is somewhat damp and I have not sprinkled the leaves yet.

Thanks for the help :)

The secret to no wilt in RW cubes (and most cloning methods) is to Not Over Water, healthy mothers and temps around 75*F+/- ~5* generally warmer the better except for hydro cloning. If your mother has a bit of deficiency or what not it will definitely wilt but still root unless it has a serious problem.

I don't use a dome, ever, it prevents a lot of fungus/bacteria problems, but I do end up watering them once every 16-24 hours, despite low winter temps and literally 15-25% RH I still get roots in 7-10 days with 99% success with a heating mat on the bottom (some times roots even pop in 5 days in the summer). Most of my clones are about 7-9" tall and around 4-6mm thick on average. I do Not cut any of the leaves either.

Only dip the BOTTOM corner of the cube in the water for a second (I use RO until planted) , the goal being the wet RW cube weighs about 4x the amount of a dry one, you want the plant to be Looking for water so it will root so to speak. A flick of the wrist will get the water out, do not crush the RW you will remove the oxygen and drown the cut. Make sure when sticking the cut in to the medium it is secure and will not have air gaps around the stem, most packs of RW cubes have around 2-10 bad cubes IME. Something that a friend practices is 6 hours of darkness after initial cuts are taken followed by 24/0 light, I have not tried it yet but he says it helps with wilt. Just thought I would swing in and let people know what works for me, especially with RW. Good thread JJ.

Rudra

hallo people,
is possible make multiclones from a singole branch? Mastic pruning help it? Thanks.

WauiGreen

OK now that works!

OK now that works!

Hey JJ, just wanna say thanks for the post, I tried cloning once before and got 0 clones out of out, not great. A few weeks ago I took some clones and followed your lesson to the letter and last nite I planted the last of them. Managed to get 22 out of 24, roots came through in about 10 days on average. Thanks for all the pointers, really sorted me out since I lost about 12 plants to root aphids and don't have easy access to seeds. Will be taking a few more this evening with a few different strains, just given me that bit more confidence that I can actually do it.:thank you:

Cabron

Veteran
A few months back I tried the perlite/vermiculite mix and the most of them rooted after 21 days and a few didnt root until after day 30. There wasnt any green left in the leaves whatsoever. They were so far gone they couldnt rejuvinate. The problem with that mix is there is very little, if any oxygen getting to the stem.

So JJ
You say there is a lack of oxygen with a mix of vermiculite and perlite?

These are two of the most non compacting, oxygen friendly aggregates known to the grower...

This is preposterous...:laughing:

maybe you should think about editing that line of nonsense...

SKAGITMAGIC

i just tried the rapid rooter using your thread and had 100% success with 3 different strains. I might even put my aeroponic cloner on Craigslist. thank you for your time.

Hank Hemp

Veteran
Hi y'll long time lurker with a ? Sometimes I get a mold or fungus, looks very dark brown and starts at the very tops of my cuttings. I've had this problem on and off forever. What can I do about it? Less spraying helps if the cuttings don't need a dome any longer. It starts in the dome. Thanks for any help.

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I thought that I would add a slight variation to the technique presented here that has helped me a great deal. I had been having a hell of a time keeping the moisture content of the rapid rooters at the appropriate level. I think that the low humidity here and the heating mat were combining to move enough water that it was difficult to keep them at the correct point, so I found myself monkeying with them several times a day and losing clones.

Anyhow, what I found was that if you stack two of the 1/2" thick kitchen sponges on top of one another and then place the rapid rooter on top of them, you can fill the pan that they are sitting in almost to the top of the bottom sponge (3/8" - 7/16" of water) and they will be good for a couple of days. I have had a 100% success rate since I started doing this. Perhaps a single, thick sponge would work - I just happened to have a bunch of these, but I think that the separation limits the water reaching the rapid rooter so they don't get too wet.

Hope this helps somebody!

shorty68

med.indoor grow first timer

med.indoor grow first timer

im doing sumthing wrong cant get roots.here it is using a 5gal.bucket made cloner from this site.1st ph.water to 6.0 then i added 120ml of clonex solution to 3gal.water. using 13watt florecent light 18/6. they(white widow an n.y.c.diesel) are curled and turning dead brown in just 36 to48hrs.WHAT AM I DOING WRONG luv these ladys to keep growng.sum help here please.thx to all :)

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sorry I haven't been posting much but it seems people are doing well.

I want to add with some strains you may not need to spray the inside as often because it can lead to rot if things are to wet. Different strains react differently and may not take the dampness as well as others. If they start getting brown and soft then you need to back off the moisture....

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
im doing sumthing wrong cant get roots.here it is using a 5gal.bucket made cloner from this site.1st ph.water to 6.0 then i added 120ml of clonex solution to 3gal.water. using 13watt florecent light 18/6. they(white widow an n.y.c.diesel) are curled and turning dead brown in just 36 to48hrs.WHAT AM I DOING WRONG luv these ladys to keep growng.sum help here please.thx to all :)

I don't see any pictures so I don't know what you are doing......

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So JJ
You say there is a lack of oxygen with a mix of vermiculite and perlite?

These are two of the most non compacting, oxygen friendly aggregates known to the grower...

This is preposterous...:laughing:

maybe you should think about editing that line of nonsense...

Maybe you should look at rapid rooters compared to soaked vermiculite before making your comments. There's no comparison.

But if it works for you than have at it..... I wll say that verm and perlire are good for drainage in watered plants. Something that clones don't get, so there's no need for drainage,,,,,

G

gro'mommma

really great thread, tute, and pix! thanks so much from this new mom! got a question for you please? In regards, to lighting after the tray is set up and ready to go.. what lighting strength do you reccomend? I have seeds and clones in my tray.. thanks in advance!

Latest posts

Latest posts