What's new

CHM CDM

Rhizoma

Hi all,
I was looking in internet for CDM kit particularly the 315w version.
There are well known names like gavita, but the prices are very high.
There are also kits that cost 1/3, 1/4 like lumi or solistek.

I would like to have your opinion to understand if the cheap versions are also good.

Thanks in advance
R

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
That is a good question friend. I have found that the cheaper lights work fine but they can have flaws over time and I get fewer grow cycles. If you only consider the cost of expensive ones over cheap ones, It can mean more or less quality growing cycles in the garden.

The good thing about HPS is a person just needs to change a new light bulb from time to time.

Rhizoma

That is a good question friend. I have found that the cheaper lights work fine but they can have flaws over time and I get fewer grow cycles. If you only consider the cost of expensive ones over cheap ones, It can mean more or less quality growing cycles in the garden.

The good thing about HPS is a person just needs to change a new light bulb from time to time.
Many thanks Creeperpark.
Apologies I am very new, but I thought the CDM need bulb replacement almost every year... But only bulb not ballast or other components.
Is this correct or the flaws you are mentioning affect also the fixture itself?

Also I would like to ask a clarification regarding the watt and weight.
My current 250w hps actually run around 280-290 watt at the wall.
The 315w somewhere I read is 330w at the wall and weight approximately 2.5kg.
Are these info correct?

Many thanks
R

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Many thanks Creeperpark.
Apologies I am very new, but I thought the CDM need bulb replacement almost every year... But only bulb not ballast or other components.
Is this correct or the flaws you are mentioning affect also the fixture itself?

Also I would like to ask a clarification regarding the watt and weight.
My current 250w hps actually run around 280-290 watt at the wall.
The 315w somewhere I read is 330w at the wall and weight approximately 2.5kg.
Are these info correct?

Many thanks
R
I'm sorry friend I was thinking LEDs for some reason. I need to wake up. My bad, I aways use the cheapest fixture that I can find with MH or HPS and still using them.

BurntBacon

I'm sorry friend I was thinking LEDs for some reason. I need to wake up. My bad, I aways use the cheapest fixture that I can find with MH or HPS and still using them.
I’ve had comparable results with a 315 CMH vs. HPS, for many years, veg. through flowering. Perfect amount of heat for open bulb hoods. Phillips 3100k bulb, which seem to snuff out before fading too bad. Can’t speak for the knock off bulbs.

exoticrobotic

Most people use the phillips bulb - 930 colour - 315watts for flowering. I've used them for a few years before replacing although most people replace them more regularly.

Some people use the cheaper bulbs but report not as good colour or flowering with them so i stick to the more expensive Phillips bulbs like everyone else.

The Maxibright CDM ballast lasted 4 years before i dropped it and broke it.