What's new

Check out this plant from seeds labeled "1978"

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
I met a lady online that found her father's seed stash. One of the film canisters was labeled 1978. On her first time growing she was able to get some germinated and one was a female. She lived near me and we met up and she gave me a copy of that female.

I kinda figured if the '78 date was true that the plant would be mostly sativa. What I didn't foresee was it's auto-like qualities. It bloomed a little bit early but I can't get the clone to stop producing pistils and revert to normal vegetative growth.

This pic was from July 7th it was just beginning to show sex. (Its the taller plant on the left
Click image for larger version  Name:	received_322113196225500.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	203.6 KB ID:	17967427

The lower branches she brought me to try to root were showing pistils when I got them July 10th.

Here it is on July 19th blooming .

Click image for larger version  Name:	received_235258458423738.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	182.5 KB ID:	17967428
Click image for larger version  Name:	received_335012041619811.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	140.7 KB ID:	17967429
Click image for larger version  Name:	received_527389708480863.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	95.1 KB ID:	17967430
Click image for larger version  Name:	received_205290231604349.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	108.1 KB ID:	17967431

I can't get the clone to go back into veg! She just keeps pumping out pistils.
I've "monster cropped" before and I've seen the burst of growth, but when will she stop producing pistils at new growth tips?

Here's some pics from when I got the cutting to root
Click image for larger version  Name:	received_3044172382529753.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	103.5 KB ID:	17967432
Click image for larger version  Name:	received_258879672800170.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	69.0 KB ID:	17967433

I rooted her under 18 hours of light, I was hoping to get it to go back into veg and stop producing pistils and cline those branches that weren't producing pistils
Click image for larger version  Name:	received_563951477987504.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	188.4 KB ID:	17967434

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Yesterday I chopped back A LOT of growth.
if I wasn't trying to preserve this cut for her for next year, I would have just stuck her in 12/12.

But she's now been under 24 hours of light for over a month, still pumping pistils. 😂
received_459508562104858.jpeg
received_352759776645881.jpeg
received_940382259885987.jpeg

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Took me years to win one back from that condition. Any upset at all would have it trying to flower again, even after a couple of years. I suggest 24/7 lighting, in a nice amount of soil, and don't even turn it.
An approach I didn't try, was just give up and let it seed up. Seeds are going to veg, I feel sure of it. Back then there were no female seeds. An option you could navigate through quite quickly.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey mate, interesting plant.. you could try cutting down the rootball - take a couple of inches off all round - which will remove some of the flowering hormones that are in the root tips. Maybe prune down the growth a bit too and see how it grows back !

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
I met a lady online that found her father's seed stash. One of the film canisters was labeled 1978. On her first time growing she was able to get some germinated and one was a female. She lived near me and we met up and she gave me a copy of that female.

I kinda figured if the '78 date was true that the plant would be mostly sativa. What I didn't foresee was it's auto-like qualities. It bloomed a little bit early but I can't get the clone to stop producing pistils and revert to normal vegetative growth.

This pic was from July 7th it was just beginning to show sex. (Its the taller plant on the left

Well done :good:

Roms

Veteran
Hello CannaRed, interesting ruderalis trait !? (Canada up North repro?)

Maybe 24/24 would have been better from the start, need to try it with some new fresh cuts hehe...

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Yep 24/0 can make all the difference. I have grown plants that will flower with less than 4 hours of darkness. Is this in North America or Europe? Just wondering where the '78 bagseed came from..

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Even under 24h light, plants still sleep. Having 24h means whenever they are ready to get up, there is light. No confusion that could lead towards flowering.
I would get the sts mixed. Having spent years with a plant who flowered if you so much as moved it between rooms, I know this can be difficult. Even back in veg, it may produce 5 fingers and every cutting start to flower before it's rooted. Do you have 4 or 5 years for something you may not even want to keep. Most things come back in months though..

You can buy an sts solution ready mixed on eBay. Turn one, and let it seed. Or just paint a bud or two on another flowering plant. That much pollen can be harvested from a cutting easily. About 4 weeks from now. Your own female seeds is usually very easy.

burningfire

Veteran
It grows more like Industrial Hemp ( seed/oil ) than a drug type from what I can see. I'd like to be wrong, this seems like an interesting specimen for outdoor

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
It grows more like Industrial Hemp ( seed/oil ) than a drug type from what I can see. I'd like to be wrong, this seems like an interesting specimen for outdoor

It looks very branchy for hemp. North Indian style maybe?

Cannared, if this is indeed bagseed from '78 and from the US I guess it could be Mexican or something from Central America.

If someone told me that's from Mexico I'd believe him.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Yep 24/0 can make all the difference. I have grown plants that will flower with less than 4 hours of darkness. Is this in North America or Europe? Just wondering where the '78 bagseed came from..

Agreed, if you can adjust the suns intensity to mimick a 24hr day. Easily done with variable intensity lights. The sun in the land of the midnight sun, the sun does go down, its simply not dark.

burningfire

Veteran
It looks very branchy for hemp. North Indian style maybe?

Cannared, if this is indeed bagseed from '78 and from the US I guess it could be Mexican or something from Central America.

If someone told me that's from Mexico I'd believe him.

All Cannabis will grow branchy if you give it enough time and space. Cannabis will express itself depending on the growing conditions.

Some strains are better suited for densely packed cultivation, i.e. they will grow more columnar exposing their main cola to the sun.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
It's flowering because your pot is too shallow. Also became boron def the moment you moved it under led.

I think that influenced the original plant being outdoors in a small pot.
My cut I was trying to keep it in a small pot so it wouldn't be a monster. I know if I give my hazes or other sativas a bigger footprint they stretch all over the place.
The plant has been getting extra boron from the PowerSi or Silution whichever I used at the time.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
That is really weird Cannared even flowering males will reverse back to veg state under 18/6 in say 4 or so weeks.