What's new

Ceramic Metal Halide (CMH)

FCDobbs

Horselover

That is a valid question. I really want to get into the 1000w club. No rational argument for that. three 315 watt would do that Im just not sure they would fit in a 4x4. I do 1 large plant and am looking to get as much penetration as possible. The plant will finish in a 20 gal DWC res. Hopefully it will be 4' tall which mean I will need some good light. to get all the way into it.

The idea of multiple lights has merit as I believe it would provide better angled penetration. Can I cram 3 315s into a 4x4x8? That is the question.

Horselover Fat

Veteran
Horselover

That is a valid question. I really want to get into the 1000w club. No rational argument for that. three 315 watt would do that Im just not sure they would fit in a 4x4. I do 1 large plant and am looking to get as much penetration as possible. The plant will finish in a 20 gal DWC res. Hopefully it will be 4' tall which mean I will need some good light. to get all the way into it.

The idea of multiple lights has merit as I believe it would provide better angled penetration. Can I cram 3 315s into a 4x4x8? That is the question.

I guess it depends on the hoods and your growing style. Are you growing trees or scrog? I used a 315 in a 2x4 and thought about adding another. I did decide it would be too much. And I'm not sure the tent would've even supported the weight.

With the hood I used I could get the tops very close to the lamp. Like up to 10" without problems. In the pic it's probably about a foot abowe the tops.

Attachments

• DSC_0709.jpg
    DSC_0709.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 150

Azeotrope

Veteran
I agree. Nice stadium!

Running some 315s vert amongst trees is very effective if anyone has the room.

I always mingle horiz and verts in my grows.

FCDobbs

I think at this point I am leaning towards 2ea 315 spread out for better penetration. I dont know that 3 will make it in a 4x4 unless I put them 1' from the wall and 1 in center.

substitute,
do i understand you are using a 1000w mh? Im curious some people use a combo mh in veg and then a hps for flower. Have you ever tried that?
I have been looking at this combo a bit and stumbled on an article on the use of mh for veg and hps for flower.

https://hightimes.com/grow/grow-hack-does-switching-from-metal-halides-to-hps-for-flowering-work/

I use a 1000w metal halide that is a color temperature that is red enough to be an 'all the way through' lamp. It is also protected for an open fixture rating. There's a good guy on here....or used to be on here...his name was Gnome. He was a metal halide guy too. The halide's he was into were 4000k. The one I run is 3500k...even more red. It's perfect.

I use an old fashioned 1000w MH magnetic ballast.

This was my most recent grow. My first time running hydro, but not my first time growing.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=372097

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
i use '2' 315's with the agro bulb in my 4x3.5ft tent - the problem is if they are too close to the plants, the light spread doesn't make it to the outside - last grow i had 4 cheap led's on the sides... plan on using this setup later in the year..

FCDobbs

i use '2' 315's with the agro bulb in my 4x3.5ft tent - the problem is if they are too close to the plants, the light spread doesn't make it to the outside - last grow i had 4 cheap led's on the sides... plan on using this setup later in the year..

Good to know. thx

overbudjet

Veteran

Flower room .
8*315w philips 3100k green power plus 3*315w philips 4200 over 10*4 of growing area
X--3100k
Y--4200k

-X---X----X---X-
---Y----Y----Y---
-X---X----X---X-

i use the 4200k to mix spectrum with the 3100k .I also use 3 diff.
circuit to control light intensity.
In the morning 3 4200k switch on, after an hour 4 3100 add up
and switch between them (4* 3100k)in the mid day all 8*3100k
Each bank of light can be operated by itself

So the simply answer is yes
You may also mix spectrum with multiple lights.

Last edited:

FCDobbs

Overbudjet,
Thanks for the great layout info. Sounds like you have a really nice system. At this point it looks like I am leaning towards a single 1000w 4100k MH bulb with a 41" Parabolic reflector in a vertical configuration. This is quite a deviation from where I began.

Overbudjet,
Thanks for the great layout info. Sounds like you have a really nice system. At this point it looks like I am leaning towards a single 1000w 4100k MH bulb with a 41" Parabolic reflector in a vertical configuration. This is quite a deviation from where I began.

Sounds good. :) It's good to use a protected lamp in an open fixture...just saying. The Philips MP1000 is a good example of this. It has a wire wrapped around the arc tube in case of failure.

Latest posts

Latest posts