What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

CAUGHT: Alibi's and justifications

Team Microbe

Veteran
Environment depicts alibi...

Environment depicts alibi...

Every grow calls for different alibis, it really depends on where you are and what you will sound realistic in the area that you may be caught in...

Team Microbe

Veteran
I have different alibi's for each of my patches, depending on circumstances for the most part:

picture.php

This is the kit I pack for my railroad patch. It borders a bird watching preserve, so I park there and get out looking like a bird watcher with tripod and camera in hand. I even bookmarked and circled bird species that are in my area in the bird watching book I carry around, in case someone doesn't buy my outfit (it's pretty damn convincing though). I'll traverse through the preserve, then dip out onto the train tracks that border the far corner of the property. From here I'll put the bird watching hat in my book bag, and put on my rail enthusiast baseball hat. If trains pass while I'm hiking along the tracks I just make the "honk" motion with my arm and take pictures (the train drivers friggin love this). This prevents them from reporting trespassers to the rail police (yes, they have their own police officers), and makes it look like I'm just a rail nerd taking train pictures.

picture.php

When the coast is clear, I dip into the woods and change into my waders that I stash in a heavy duty trash bag under some dense brush. From here I trek a 1/2 mile through a waist-deep swamp to reach my patch which resides on a raised deer bedding island. When I traverse through the swamp I put the bird watching hat back on just incase... but the swamp is the last place I'll see any humans - in their right mind at least :laughing:

When I approach the patch to tend plants, I slip on the head net that covers my face in case LEO set up any game cameras after finding the grow while I was away. This is a very slim to none chance, but you can never be too careful... and peace of mind is a very valuable thing to have for any guerrilla grower.

When you're not worried about getting in trouble, it opens up a whole new door to the outdoor grower. Things become less tense, you begin thinking more clearly, and you work smarter and not harder. Bush panic disappears, and big harvests begin to appear when you put in the work to remain clandestine. You truly do get out what you put in :bandit:

snuggles

always depends on the area.
for me, I always carry some binoculars, some form of notebook with me.
In this part of the world we still have quite the wildlife and intact nature going on, so it is very plausible for someone to be strolling around in the woods/nature looking for interesting/rare plants and animals.
sports equipment is also a good camouflage. hiking, climbing or even mountainbiking can be a good cover if you're in the mountains, like me.
greets

snuggles

I was in the back country years an years ago tending at harvest time. I was in camo with a rifle. I was going patch to patch and saw the evidence that some trees were gone. I started following the tracks and heard some voices then out pops LEO in all black with a gun. I didnt know at first that it was Johnny. After an interagation I just stuck to the Turkey hunting story. Said I heard voices in the bush and needed to see who it was. I was about 10 miles off the road so they were suspicious. They took my guns and sent me on my way. They only found 1/3rd of the plots and I came back in a week to finish. Recovered my guns a month later. I nearly shit my pants, but pulled it off.

nice story!
glad you still got to harvest :dance013:

hamstring

Veteran
I have different alibi's for each of my patches, depending on circumstances for the most part:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=57557&pictureid=1344527

Hey brother a little off topic but nice to see you back at IC mag.

Dude I have the same set of waders but mine are old and ragged just like me. For me those things turn into sand paper after you wear them for 3+ hrs of constant walking through swamp and marsh. I have road rash on my legs like I just took a spill on a bike after I wear mine all day.

Nice spot and methodology hope you hang around for harvest pics brother.

Team Microbe

Veteran
Hey brother a little off topic but nice to see you back at IC mag.

Dude I have the same set of waders but mine are old and ragged just like me. For me those things turn into sand paper after you wear them for 3+ hrs of constant walking through swamp and marsh. I have road rash on my legs like I just took a spill on a bike after I wear mine all day.

Nice spot and methodology hope you hang around for harvest pics brother.

Hey man! Glad to hear from ya, it's been a while...

I've got a partner this year so it'll be a lot easier to take pictures and harvest this year, hope all is well! :tiphat:

I keep a camouflage hunting net in my bag..if I hear a chopper or something that remotely sounds like a chopper (could be a plane but from the distance who knows) I get into a good spot and cover up with the net until the sound of whatever is flying is completely gone. Better to take 5-10 mins of your day to be safe then to end up sorry! I wear all camouflage when I'm out so my excuse if someone approached me would be something about hunting. Scouting potentially good spots to deer hunt next season because I just moved here from (another state) and just be friendly with them and get there input on things.. That's just what I would probably do

smTm8q

So. It's a little off season. Let's use the time wisely and brainstorm. Anyone else seen the new cellular trail cameras that hunters are using? Hmmm. :D

I saw one that required you to log in to the manufacturers website to see your pictures. I don't like that. BUT, I have seen several other types (none of them are particularly cheap, @~400USD new) that will MMS you a picture to a cell phone (a burner I presume), or an e-mail address. Look out for the cheaper import crap, they are running 2G service which is being phased out, soon to be worthless, if not already.

Suppose I wanted to have live updates to a particular piece of land. I'd probably take a GSM burner phone into the field I intend to work and check service there. If service exists, I suppose I'd dump a prepaid SIM into the cellular trail cam, then program the burner phone number into it. Charge it up, aim it where every passing rabbit won't trigger it, and camo it in real good. Maybe a solar charger should be in the mix as well, if battery life was the factor limiting my absence.

Sounds a little spooky with all these awesome pictures flying around in space, but it's just too appealing! With high resolution, I'd expect to be able to read the leaves a little as well, and come prepared, and on time. A little bit pricey, plus the 2 prepaid cellular lines every month, but if our kids get baby monitors, why can't our pots, too? Next best would be a quad copter with FPV goggles, but that may draw attention. Thoughts, comments, ridicule?

Ooh, yea. Great thread, great ideas! An ounce of prevention if worth a pound of cure. With any luck, I'd expect a fella could end up with a couple of each.

Metal detecting, arrow head hunting, looking for my keys I lost out here hunting last night, tracking the ooh so invasive onslaught of pigs and other species, there are so many great ideas. Whatever may be said should be said without fear. Be convincing. Act like you haven't done anything wrong. Because, really, have you?

I'm particularly fond of cover stories that perfectly allow all my implements and amendments. Did you know that you can order baby trees for like a dollar each from http://www.forestry.ok.gov/order-seedlings ? It wouldn't hurt to bring one of these little guys along and donate him to a hole you didn't like so much after all. Do make sure to read a little on the topic, so he might live, and use an indigenous/beneficial species. Anyway. I'm delirious sleepy. Peace.

You are most likely to find LE as you are exiting the woods, you won't probably find them in the woods.

So maybe when getting near the exit detour around a little so you can see the exit from the woods, see if anyone is waiting for you.

I learnt to do this after exiting the woods and finding 4 LEO waiting for me.
I had to think quick to explain away the gas powered pump and the sack of small seedling pots I was carrying.
I was the end of season and I had already harvested and had just gone back to clean up some stuff I had left at the grow.

Your biggest problem, and the one's you have to fool when you are entering your grow area or are out in the woods are not LE, it is potential rippers.
You don't want them to suspect you are growing.
So obviously don't look like a grower, look like a dorky hiker or something.

I found other people out in the woods don't ask you what you are doing, they tend to ignore you and go about their business, so I have never felt I should have a cover story to tell people what I'm out there for.

It's more just a case of don't stand out as a possible grower by the way you dress, ie full camo and an extra large backpack when everyone else has a daypack.

Personally I believe in infiltrating early in the morning when it's still dark, and arrive at your plot as it's getting light. There should be no-one else out there at that time.
If there are you better start thinking about what they are doing there at that time of morning, for whatever they are doing at that time is probably not good for you.

Night time is out if it is dark enough that you will need a torch, as a light in the woods at night can be seen from a long way, and it will arouse suspicion, ie what's that person doing out in the woods at night, must be up to something.

Last edited:

Ijager

Re the ginseng hunting excuse mentioned, it is illegal to harvest wild ginseng on public land in my state. Know about your subject and legalities before using as an alibi. You don't want to be accused of poaching for carrying a fishing pole out of season for example.

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
You are most likely to find LE as you are exiting the woods, you won't probably find them in the woods.

So maybe when getting near the exit detour around a little so you can see the exit from the woods, see if anyone is waiting for you.

I learnt to do this after exiting the woods and finding 4 LEO waiting for me.
I had to think quick to explain away the gas powered pump and the sack of small seedling pots I was carrying.
I was the end of season and I had already harvested and had just gone back to clean up some stuff I had left at the grow.

Your biggest problem, and the one's you have to fool when you are entering your grow area or are out in the woods are not LE, it is potential rippers.
You don't want them to suspect you are growing.
So obviously don't look like a grower, look like a dorky hiker or something.

I found other people out in the woods don't ask you what you are doing, they tend to ignore you and go about their business, so I have never felt I should have a cover story to tell people what I'm out there for.

It's more just a case of don't stand out as a possible grower by the way you dress, ie full camo and an extra large backpack when everyone else has a daypack.

Personally I believe in infiltrating early in the morning when it's still dark, and arrive at your plot as it's getting light. There should be no-one else out there at that time.
If there are you better start thinking about what they are doing there at that time of morning, for whatever they are doing at that time is probably not good for you.

Night time is out if it is dark enough that you will need a torch, as a light in the woods at night can be seen from a long way, and it will arouse suspicion, ie what's that person doing out in the woods at night, must be up to something.

Re the ginseng hunting excuse mentioned, it is illegal to harvest wild ginseng on public land in my state. Know about your subject and legalities before using as an alibi. You don't want to be accused of poaching for carrying a fishing pole out of season for example.

Both great posts.