What's new

Cannabis Cream / Topical Recipe

@peace

Hello,

I would like to share a topical cannabis cream recipe that I have tweaked over time. This is good for people who have joint pain or surface pain, i.e. a stiff shoulder or a bruise. I tend to give this out to people. My grandma just turned 80 and she uses this to help with joint pain. My aunt who has rheumatoid arthritis also finds this useful (she also finds that tincture applied to the area that hurts also helps for anybody reading that has RA). I only use peppermint oil as I am not big on most smells, but I am sure that other normal people would like lavender oil or others like that in this recipe as well. This is a simple recipe and you only need a few supplies.

Tools - You will need a double boiler. If you don't have one you can look online to see how you can make one by putting a standard kitchen pot into another pot that has water in it. You will also need a pyrex dish, and a mesh strainer or cheese cloth. I got my double boiler at Wal-Mart.

Ingredients:

20g Cannabis
500ml Coconut Oil
40g Beeswax
170g Shea Butter
10 drops Peppermint Oil
6 x 125ml Mason Jars

1) Infuse the oil. To do this pre-heat an oven to 220F. Break up the cannabis by hand, removing stems, and put all of the broken up buds in a large pyrex dish that is oven safe. I use a pyrex bread pan. Then cover the buds with the coconut oil. Cover the container in tinfoil and place it in the oven for 1 hour at 220F. Remove and allow the oil to cool a bit so that it doesn't burn you before straining it through a mesh strainer and into another container (mixing bowl, pyrex, anything really). Note that you can also use cheese cloth in lieu of a strainer.

2) Put water in the bottom of a double boiler and then place the top pot on. Turn the heat to medium low and place the beeswax in the top pot. Allow the beeswax to melt fully, then add the infused oil. Stir this well and then add the shea butter and peppermint oil. Allow shea butter to melt and again, stir well.

3) Once the mixture is fully mixed, start transferring it into the mason jars. I just tip the pot and dump it directly into the mason jars. This should roughly make 6 x 125ml mason jars. During the transfer process return the pot to the heat as needed to keep it in liquid form. If the cream starts to go solid when you are transferring, then heat the mixture and stir again before continuing to fill jars.

*Note- I store this in a fridge but I am sure it is ok to sit out. Cutting beeswax that comes in block form is a big pain, to solve this put the beeswax block in the freezer. After a day remove it from the freezer and put it in a bag, and then smash it with a hammer so that it makes shards. This makes portioning much easier and less dangerous than cutting your thumb off trying to get through one of those blocks lol.

20211211_141754.jpg
20211211_131542.jpg
20211211_125343.jpg

Cvh

Supermod
Free ☕ 🦫
I showed your recipe to my wife and she immediately ordered the supplies. I should receive all the ingredients somewhere next week and maybe in the upcoming weekend I can try to make it.

Will post here if I succeeded in making it.

Thanks for sharing. 🤗

Cvh

Supermod
Free ☕ 🦫
Received all the ingredients today. In a few days or upcoming weekend I'll do an attempt at making the topical following the recipe provided and post the result here. Cost around 40€, which includes delivery at my door.

IMG_20211214_182231_025.png - Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20211214_182231_025.png Views:	0 Size:	482.6 KB ID:	18014717

​​​​

@peace

I am really glad you decided to try this, I hope it brings you some relief. If you find anything that improves the process then please let us know. Good luck!

Cvh

Supermod
Free ☕ 🦫
I managed to make it yesterday. It was real simple and very straightforward! 😊

Been testing it out all day today. It really works for pain relief for me. Thank you for sharing this recipe with the community. 🤗

I can recommend this recipe to everyone to try for themselves.

Just please note that to make it fully solidify you should -after it has cooled down- put it into the refrigerator or else it stays a bit too runny for my personal preference.
After it had cooled down in the fridge I can now keep it outside of the fridge and it remains solid.

IMG_20211216_185320_111.png - Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20211216_185320_111.png Views:	15 Size:	444.4 KB ID:	18016756

Last edited:

@peace

I am glad it worked out. If you do want it to be a bit thicker then the amount of beeswax can be increased to 50g, I used to make it with more and have reduced it overtime, it is what controls the thickness though. You can even melt down more beeswax in the double boiler and add the cream back, and then melt it down and re-jar it. I have done that before when I forgot to add the peppermint. The fridge works to though, that's what I do.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
My wife and have been saying we were going to make balm for months now.
we found a balm were getting from an underground group that everybody loves. Its $35 for 4oz tin. To be honest I didn't notice as much pain relief as other did,but it did help ease a sore neck for me one time.
But I really fell in love with it when I saw what it did for my grandpa's skin lesions on his forehead. For 13 months I applied the Vaseline based ointment that his dermatologist gave me. I was worried that I shouldn't put it in open wound, so I tried a tiny spot. It worked. In 3 weeks it was really healing up. After 6 weeks of applying it every day, his entire forehead was healed.

We are going to do our best to meet an exceed that $35 balm. We know it's coconut oil based, has arnica, wild lettuce, essential oils, and cannabis.
WE don't know ratios or amounts, and don't know the form those ingredients come in. In the past weeks we have bought wild lettuce leaf, wild lettuce resin, arnica oil, arnica extract powder, coconut oil, MCT oil, beeswax pellets, and clove, peppermint, lavender, and eucalyptus essential oils. Almond oil for preservative.
wifey making FECO now, from some CBD/THC flowers.
Also thinking of grinding up frankincense and myrrh resins like in GW's Holy Shit Anointing Oil.

I made cannabis root balm a couple years ago but didn't include any cannabinoids.

After we see how this batch works out, I'll see if adding the root balm to this balm has any difference.

@peace

CannaRed That's awesome about your Grandpa, sadly his case is another example of what prohibition is costing society. Wild lettuce is also called Prickly Lettuce, it is a common field weed in Canada where I am from. When I was in University I harvested a patch of them that I found and collected the resin. It is supposed to have great health benefits, it sure tastes terrible when you smoke it though lol. Good luck on your project.

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
Jumping on to the thread. I will be trying this in the next while. My doc just threw me a naproxen script for a few weeks and talked about HD Voltaren. I am hoping that this might be a solution. For my advancing osteoarthritis . . .

Thanks for posting it.

goingrey

I believe all of the ingredients are edible. So it doubles as an oral/sublingual medicine as well?

blondie

In the beekeeping world, a prevalent theory is that the worlds supply of beeswax is contaminated with toxins. I would be leery of chewing on let alone swallowing beeswax.

goingrey

It's important to be conscious of the source and quality of the ingredients. But both beeswax and shea butter are regarded safe to eat by both US and EU authorities, and surely no more toxic than anything else we eat in general.

blondie

It's important to be conscious of the source and quality of the ingredients. But both beeswax and shea butter are regarded safe to eat by both US and EU authorities, and surely no more toxic than anything else we eat in general.

Bees don’t discriminate where they gather pollen and nectar from. Toxic waste dumps, heavily over sprayed gardens, sides of major highways, etc etc etc. Not to mention the honey and likely wax that illegally comes from China. Chemicals used there are banned for use in the US and importation of honey is (or at least was) illegal. It finds a way into the US via India and who knows how else.

goingrey

Alright, I got all the stuff, time to get cooking.

Cheesemaking doesn't seem to be very popular nowadays. Lady at the store didn't even know what a cheesecloth is. Ended up buying a pack of cotton muslins meant for babies. Seems like the same kind of thing.

She assured me their beeswax is edible.