What's new

Can I use these lights?

Willie

My buddy has access to two older HPS street lights. On them is written: 1800VA. 1000W. 480V Max.. I was thinking that I could make a reflector for these and adapt 'em to hang. Do you think I can use them for flowering if I bought new bulbs? I do need more lighting (not necessarily both) and figured this could be a cheap way to get it... OR... am I just doing a lot of wishful thinking?? :chin:

Peace, Willy :canabis:

badmf

For hps or mh you'll need a ballast and those hoods aren't designed to reflect light effectively in your garden. There are some who have used them but its better to start out with the right ones. The street light has a different spectrum than what plants use.

G

Yes the are useable, and you can make a better reflector than store bought one's for half the cost, okay I think mine are better than store bought one's, but I made them.

Sound's like a multi tap 1000 watt ballast to me with the option of wirring the ballast for 120v, 240v, and 480v power source. If not on the 120v tap you need to set it up so it will work properly.

Now they eat the electricity compared to newer unit's. They are also a bit louder and run a bit hotter, just old equipment, and some are to old to start up new designed bulb's.

I do not mind electricity and playing with wire's, but I do not recomend them being used any longer, even thu I have two 400 watt street lamp unit's that are 4 year's old and run just fine, but I made them air cooled ballast's and I think that has added life to the unit's.

In a small tight area one might think of trying the new Gavita bulb that has it own built in reflective material, no hood is needed, just a thought.

Happy New Year's to All

grow safe.

realhigh.

Willie

Thanks Realhigh and Badmf...I really appreciate your input. I may try one(since its free) to see what happens. I have only a 400w hps at the present and was hoping to expand my flowering area by adding another light.

Realhigh, Thanks for explaining those letters and numbers for me. Did you make your reflector with sheet metal (flashing)? That seems pretty logical to me. (?)

Peace and Happy new year to y'all

Willie :canabis:

Okie grown

Veteran
Sure you can use em.Thay are 1000 watt hps.You will need to get 1000 watt hps bulbs and youre good to go.You wont even need a hood in a smaller room with mylar.But you can buy new hooods for $50 or make one.