What's new

California is legal to grow up to 6 plants

Vondetour

I live in a California town that weed is illegal to buy or grow, state law says I can grow up to 6 plants. What happens it cops find out will the court honor the state law of my city law ?.

moose eater

I live in a California town that weed is illegal to buy or grow, state law says I can grow up to 6 plants. What happens it cops find out will the court honor the state law of my city law ?.
I don't live in California, but if your State statutes give municipalities the right for local option laws, then your municipality or County might be able to supersede State law with local ordinance or statute..

That's what you need to check into.

Orange County, by chance? Sounds Orange County-ish.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I live in Palm Springs area and yes, California is one of those states that allow local ordinance to rule. It sucks because my local ordinance is tougher than California law so, legally speaking, I am not allowed to grow outdoors where I am. But, I do anyway. Fock 'em.

So, check with your local ordinance. Mine is a fine but without forfeiture. So, they can fine me but not take the plants. And, I think the fine was only about $125.

Last edited by a moderator:

moose eater

I live in Palm Springs area and yes, California is one of those states that allow local ordinance to rule. It sucks because my local ordinance is tougher than California law so, legally speaking, I am not allowed to grow outdoors where I am. But, I do anyway. Fock 'em.

So, check with your local ordinance. Mine is a fine but without forfeiture. So, they can fine me but not take the plants. And, I think the fine was only about $125.
Do your local laws permit indoor cultivation, but not outdoor?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ringodoggie

Premium user
It allows outdoor but has restrictions that I can not comply with. e.g. It requires a 'block wall' surrounding the plants. And, it prohibits growing on a 'front' patio, which is where my sun is.

I have been doing it for 3 years anyway but someone complained to the HOA and they shut me down by quoting the ordinance. Otherwise, one of the local sheriffs told me if no one complains, they don't really care. And, they qualified this...... 'as long as you're not selling.'

I am looking to buy a home soon and I plan to go way way way over the 6 plant limit. LOL

moose eater

It allows outdoor but has restrictions that I can not comply with. e.g. It requires a 'block wall' surrounding the plants. And, it prohibits growing on a 'front' patio, which is where my sun is.

I have been doing it for 3 years anyway but someone complained to the HOA and they shut me down by quoting the ordinance. Otherwise, one of the local sheriffs told me if no one complains, they don't really care. And, they qualified this...... 'as long as you're not selling.'

I am looking to buy a home soon and I plan to go way way way over the 6 plant limit. LOL
Sounds like a part of the 'not in public view' component in your area involves securing the plants from (I assume) minors, etc. (*The block wall reference).

Here we simply can't have it in public view (technically), but my greenhouse poly sheeting isn't 100% 'clear', per se', so (while it's not something I'm seeking to test in court), I'm curious as to how visible/identifiable the plants need to be before someone with authority can bark about it.

But that's a question for another thread.

therevverend

Veteran
Friend of mine told me, a few years back. His friend in Cali had some plants in his yard right next to the road. Had a fence that was about 6 feet high. By August the plants were 8 or 9 feet over the fence and obviously ganja plants.

. Knock knock, cop at the door.

'I can see you plants from the road. I'll be back next week and I don't want to see them.'

He 'added on' to his fence, made it tall enough so the plants were no longer visible from the road. He said the next week the cop drove by, real slow. And left, never came back. Problem solved.

It's borderline harassment but I see the reasonable aspect of it. Only from the point of view that you don't want random people seeing your plants and ripping them off. The thing I've always worried about with my patch, and has gotten me in trouble with rip offs in the past, is the smell. Can't fence that in.

Latest posts

Latest posts