What's new

C5 & A5 crosses

Chi13

ICMag Donor
Curious what peoples thoughts are as to what each of these bring to crosses? I have never grown either of these alone but have grown, or are growing, a few crosses.

I have the ThaiA5 which I'm yet to finish, and had the C5 in other crosses from other breeders. I'm pretty sure Dubi says the A5 is more Colombian and C5 more Thai. So naturally I'm curious as to why pick A5 to cross with Thai rather than C5 for example? Or any other crosses for that matter?

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Curious what peoples thoughts are as to what each of these bring to crosses? I have never grown either of these alone but have grown, or are growing, a few crosses.

I have the ThaiA5 which I'm yet to finish, and had the C5 in other crosses from other breeders. I'm pretty sure Dubi says the A5 is more Colombian and C5 more Thai. So naturally I'm curious as to why pick A5 to cross with Thai rather than C5 for example? Or any other crosses for that matter?
I don't know friend. Good question.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi @Chi13, C5 Haze (NL5/HazeC) has been much more widely present in hybrids since the mid-late 90s than A5 Haze (NL5/HazeA) in strains like Jack Herer, Super Silver Haze, Hawaiian Haze, Amnesia Haze, and others. Due to Neville losing the Haze male A very early on, not many Haze hybrids containing Haze A made a significant impact in Haze hybrid history, except perhaps for Neville's Haze. Summing up, A is rarer in this aspect.

Also, as you all know, I'm an incense fanatic in cannabis. Haze is probably the strain in modern cannabis history that made the biggest impact for incensey terpenes. In my experience, growing and smoking the best Haze hybrids from the '90s and original F1 C5 Haze and A5 Haze clones (thanks to @Yo Sammy), it's my understanding that Haze A delivers more loud Colombian incensey terpenes, while Haze C is more citrus-Thai like. Not saying that you cannot find incense in Haze C offspring or citrus terpenes in Haze A offspring, but generally speaking incense is more prevalent in A, and citrus-fruity in C.

As for effects, A offspring is generally more relaxing, calming, and narcotic, while C offspring is more cerebral-up-energetic with lesser body effects....

I hear your question. So, why don't I use C5 Haze more than A5 Haze for breeding if C5 delivers better sativa-quality effects? Well, mainly because at ACE, we have Panama Goddess F10, which consistently breeds better and with less variability in sativa citrus-incensey field than C5 Haze. Goddess offers much better quality, up-cerebral-brighter effects with the same vigor, yield and THC content as C5, with a better flower/leaf ratio and shorter flowering time. Panama Goddess already fulfills the role in our breeding puzzle that C5 Haze could.

For all these reasons, that's why it was much more meaningful for me, in my obsessed quest for more intense and different high-quality types of incensey profiles, to start breeding much more widely with A5 Haze than C5 Haze and produce as many potentially desirable hybrids as possible with A5.

But my job with direct A5 Haze hybrids is almost done, next step in my Haze A breeding would be to combine elite selections of different ACE A5 Haze hybrids. Although, to don't make C5 lovers sad, I'm lately introducing C5 Haze more into some new R+D hybrids.

Latest posts

Latest posts